Good news for people who like eating fat!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've yet to see a hf thread that didn't end up being a ridiculous debate about something not really related to hf..

It's funny, I hadn't really gathered this was a HF thread (although I've now read the linked article and I guess it is, or specifically a HFLC thread). I'd thought of it as a fun thread for all fat lovers (the macro, of course).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    volfan22 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Oh and your photos are fantastic. Way to go.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

http://sweetleaf.com/stevia-products/

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

You're committing the naturalistic fallacy.
    Do you know what else is natural and nicely almond scented? Cyanide.

Also--and I understand it's far more dangerous than cyanide--white sugar!

White sugar? As in that crystalized stuff you are normally handed if you say "Please pass the sugar"? That stuff is not natural.

Sucrose isn't natural? Weird how it's found in all sorts of fruits

Crystalized table sugar is found in fruits?? Do tell!

Sucrose isn't found in fruits? No ignorance there

So you cut open a banana and sugar granules pour out?
    I want what you're smoking.

Nobody said there was no sucrose in fruit.

"Crystalized table sugar is found in fruits?? Do tell!"

Table sugar is sucrose, is it not?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Would you like to coach me and manipulate my strength training and macros? I don't think I would fair well building muscle on a ketogenic caloric deficit, but I do love to take advice from people from people who cannot even implement it themselves.

Based on your photo clearly you are doing fine running your own training. I just posted what one stated how to do strength training and lose weight at the same time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

White sugar? As in that crystalized stuff you are normally handed if you say "Please pass the sugar"? That stuff is not natural.

I do process pineapple and beets into sugar at home from time to time. So even though the banana is the devil's fruit... I can make it rain crystal with beets.
  • dbmata
    ..saying someone is demonizing something is probably one of the most annoying things I've come across on these boards. since everyone is just nitpicking..
    "We don't tolerate folks who don't tolerate, round these here parts."
  • dbmata
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I've mentioned a bunch of times that I get meat from local farms...

That's definitely not natural.

Luckily I don't care a bit whether something is natural or not.

I also cook the meat.

et tu sushi?

I have to admit that I don't get my sushi from local farms! ;-)

probably for the best !!!

Oh, I wanted to add.

DO NOT eat Izumidai. That's frozen *kitten* tilapia. First rule of sushi club is one does not eat fresh water fish that is uncooked. Second rule of sushi club is to stab anyone who calls it red snapper or tai.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Thank you Chris

Ah, insults. The sure sign you have nothing pertinent to say.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Thank you Chris

The discussion was about what is natural not what nutrients table sugar contains. Sucrose found in fruits does not make table sugar natural.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Would you like to coach me and manipulate my strength training and macros? I don't think I would fair well building muscle on a ketogenic caloric deficit, but I do love to take advice from people from people who cannot even implement it themselves.

Based on your photo clearly you are doing fine running your own training. I just posted what one stated how to do strength training and lose weight at the same time.

Strength Training =/= Hypertrophy Training while in a deficit. Like I had originally stated.... Neuromuscular adaptations. Getting stronger while in a deficit is one thing, LBM increases is a totally different animal with way more factors involved for that to occur, especially on a noticeable level. Furthermore, the chance that it is all skeletal muscle is even more slim.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

no no you said build muscle and lose fat at the same time was possible for everyone…and that anyone who disagrees was practicing "black magic"…

which coming from you was hilarious, as all of your posts are "voodoo"...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Thank you Chris

The discussion was about what is natural not what nutrients table sugar contains. Sucrose found in fruits does not make table sugar natural.

Ok, is the below natural sucrose from fruit or "unnatural" table sugar?

stock-photo-the-isolated-d-model-of-sucrose-sugar-on-a-white-background-27708232.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no no you said build muscle and lose fat at the same time was possible for everyone…and that anyone who disagrees was practicing "black magic"…

which coming from you was hilarious, as all of your posts are "voodoo"...

No, no. You just need to have the right mindset and believe you can put on muscle; then it will happen.
  • auddii

Thank you Chris

stock-photo-the-isolated-d-model-of-sucrose-sugar-on-a-white-background-27708232.jpg

The FDA does not regulate the "natural" label on foods because there is no actual definition of how it's used in regards to food.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    in4 moar fats! 305g isn't enough! :p
  • Need2Exerc1se

Thank you Chris

Neither. It's a picture.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

Thank you Chris

I do process pineapple and beets into sugar at home from time to time. So even though the banana is the devil's fruit... I can make it rain crystal with beets.

That's pretty awesome actually.

Sucrose in bananas, and beets, and in Skittles are the same thing. And even though I'm not concerned with the level of processing, table sugar in fact IS a derivation and extraction so it's got more hands on it, so to speak than a piece of untampered with fruit. I'm just saying dropping in here and summoning the sugar demon is inappropriate in this circumstance. What the thread wanted was the "processed" demon. They're falling down on the job with their trolling. There'll be another sugar thread in 2.5 seconds; there isn't any sugar demonizing in here. If you want to find that demon, the summoning ceremony needs to be performed elsewhere for maximum chance of success. I appreciate the ambition though.
  • dbmata
    Of course there is the matter of level of processing based on manufacturer. For example, piloncillo is a product that I would consider to be essentially raw. Then you have white sugar from C&H which has gone through a multitude of processes in order to purify the sugar as much as possible.

Does that change the nature of the sucrose being eaten? I'd say no. It does remove any synergists that may be present in the whole fruit/grass/vegetable being used for sugar production. Is that a bad thing? No. Is that a good thing? No. Is that a thing? Yes.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal.
  • auddii

Thank you Chris

Sucrose in bananas, and beets, and in Skittles are the same thing. And even though I'm not concerned with the level of processing, table sugar in fact IS a derivation and extraction so it's got more hands on it, so to speak than a piece of untampered with fruit. I'm just saying dropping in here and summoning the sugar demon is inappropriate in this circumstance. What the thread wanted was the "processed" demon. They're falling down on the job with their trolling. There'll be another sugar thread in 2.5 seconds; there isn't any sugar demonizing in here. If you want to find that demon, the summoning ceremony needs to be performed elsewhere for maximum chance of success. I appreciate the ambition though.

^I love that this was flagged for abuse...

And I forgot my protein shake for breakfast, so I went with a breakfast sandwich instead. Chose sausage, cheese and egg. It was tasty and full of fat. Carbs too since it was on ciabatta; it was a good balance.
  • baconslave

Thank you Chris

The argument wasn't in the kind of sugar, it was in the level of processing. Table sugar is a refined product of another plant entirely. And while table sugar is sucrose, it isn't banana flesh. So no, crystallized table sugar is not found in fruit. Sucrose is; sugar crystals from cane is not.

How table sugar is made:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=MIgavNuBRRA

How fruit is made:
    banana-tree.jpg

Now that we understand how things work, I leave the argument to whomever cares as to which is better.
  • baconslave

Thank you Chris

^I love that this was flagged for abuse...

And I forgot my protein shake for breakfast, so I went with a breakfast sandwich instead. Chose sausage, cheese and egg. It was tasty and full of fat. Carbs too since it was on ciabatta; it was a good balance.

Me, too. I giggled inside. Apparently talking about the devil is abusive. Assuming he exists. Or was it me thinking making your own sugar is cool?

Either way, got my genuine laugh for this morning. Thanks flag-stalker. :mrgreen:

Your breakfast sounds yummy! I had bacon and deviled eggs. Bacon in the oven and popped the eggs out of a dish in the fridge. I'm seriously lazy this morning.