Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I had some good bacon over the weekend, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had it before that. I don't really understand the obsession with bacon. It's good, but when it comes to meat, and espeically pork, there are SO many better options IMO.
    Go on.

Pork tenderloin, baby back ribs, spare ribs, thick cut pork chops, fresh (uncured) ham. Is that what you meant? Those are my favorites when it comes to pork.

*unzips*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I had some good bacon over the weekend, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had it before that. I don't really understand the obsession with bacon. It's good, but when it comes to meat, and espeically pork, there are SO many better options IMO.
    Go on.

Pork tenderloin, baby back ribs, spare ribs, thick cut pork chops, fresh (uncured) ham. Is that what you meant? Those are my favorites when it comes to pork.

meh- I prefer bacon to almost all of those. Pork chops never come out tasty- I do like a good slice of a nice ham- but I mean- I'd still prefer bacon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Go on.

meh- I prefer bacon to almost all of those. Pork chops never come out tasty- I do like a good slice of a nice ham- but I mean- I'd still prefer bacon.

My pork chops are the bomb!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    All this cured meat talk is making me frisky.... I joined the Carnivore club, They send you a box of cured meats once a month from different regions full of cured meats with all the history and info etc. Its like an art form...This cut of meat from this spot on the animal that's only feed this feed and then cured in a cave in Italy etc.... MMMMM meat.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Go on.

My pork chops are the bomb!

I make the best pan fried chops....OMG so good!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Go on.

I don't know, I had some nice thick chops stuffed with goat cheese, venison sausage, and fresh herbs. It was amazing...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Eating bacon. And while it isn
    Go on.

Hear, hear! Though when I get a good rack of ribs... the perfect ratio of fat and lean...daaaayum.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Ribs are great, Slow cooker all day then on the BBQ for 15 minutes to give them a nice bark....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Ribs are great, Slow cooker all day then on the BBQ for 15 minutes to give them a nice bark....

Darn skippy!! Man, I'm getting hungry.
  • redfisher1974
    Options

HAHa... I have a nice beef roast marinated in a coffee sauce ready for the oven later today...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options

HAHa... I have a nice beef roast marinated in a coffee sauce ready for the oven later today...

I think I might swoon over that roast.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I think I might swoon over that roast.

Ditto big time, all the above. Can you post the coffee sauce recipe? sounds intriguing ? this may blow my diet out of the water for the week though, I think I could adjust for it and oh it would be worth it..... yummy <3

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I have some leftover venison roast smothered in mushroom gravy in my lunch box. It's not ribs and the microwave reheating won't do it much good, but it will have to do for now.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Wish I could give you a recipe, But I was at the meat counter and the butcher had these roasts with coffee sauce in tin pans with a pop up thermometer in them, Throw it in 400 degrees for an hour or until the thingie pops up.... Best part I got it for $4 m26u8ic23q9e.jpg
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give you a recipe, But I was at the meat counter and the butcher had these roasts with coffee sauce in tin pans with a pop up thermometer in them, Throw it in 400 degrees for an hour or until the thingie pops up.... Best part I got it for $4 m26u8ic23q9e.jpg

Really? what a deal! This one looks lean so not much in the way of fat you did good :D

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    pop up thermometer. Oh, the sadz I get from that. There's such a horrid variance on the glue used in them that you can't trust them for a proper temp.

So, a small update, my country ham with the 2 years of age? it's now simmering away in a large pot, going to take it slowly to 170F, pull it, and rest it in the pot liquor until glazing and roasting tomorrow.

Still thinking of the flavor from yesterday. Nutty, earthy, and the butter that nice unctuous flavor of pig fat, but with a hint of parmesan. None of the smoke I gave it has survived the smoking process, so maybe I'll need to build a small smokehouse and do the next one on cold smoke for a week.

The flavor of meat aged this long is interesting. It was a naturally nutty tasty pig, but something added by the age, a slightly sweet, acrid flavor. I can't really explain it. So, since I'm worried that the folks I'm cooking this for won't like that sort of interesting flavor... I'm also going to roast a leg of lamb.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »

Really? what a deal! This one looks lean so not much in the way of fat you did good :D

Yeah they were $17 but I think maybe peeps did not know what to make of coffee sauce so he had to move them, Hence the sale!
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    pop up thermometer. Oh, the sadz I get from that. There's such a horrid variance on the glue used in them that you can't trust them for a proper temp.

So, a small update, my country ham with the 2 years of age? it's now simmering away in a large pot, going to take it slowly to 170F, pull it, and rest it in the pot liquor until glazing and roasting tomorrow.

Still thinking of the flavor from yesterday. Nutty, earthy, and the butter that nice unctuous flavor of pig fat, but with a hint of parmesan. None of the smoke I gave it has survived the smoking process, so maybe I'll need to build a small smokehouse and do the next one on cold smoke for a week.

The flavor of meat aged this long is interesting. It was a naturally nutty tasty pig, but something added by the age, a slightly sweet, acrid flavor. I can't really explain it. So, since I'm worried that the folks I'm cooking this for won't like that sort of interesting flavor... I'm also going to roast a leg of lamb.

I will remove it, I have a nice digital meat thremo that I use.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
  • redfisher1974
    edited December 2014
    Options

God dam son, Do you do anything that's not perfect!?!?... LOL