How you do amp yourself for a lift?

Options
2»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Have a routine and stick with it even when it's heavy and going to be hard.

For example, for deadlifts for me (firstly set music choice), belt on and buckled, chalk up, Set right foot, set left foot, double check feet width and angle. Arms by side, looking forward and fully exhale until obliques are tight. Then arms forward, BIG breath of air and then "lock the rib cage down", reach down grab bar and then it is go time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    db...shut up whinging and just pick the *kitten* up :)
    This one still makes me laugh. lol.

I missed what should have been an easy lift. I need to really focus on the intensity. I'm not sure I'm the kind that would ever strut around and headbutt *kitten*... but there's a lot of good food for thought here.

I think DMX might be a little too low key for my deadlifting.

Chris - something I've noticed I do for just about ever deadlift set over 2 plates, is step in, adjust my feet, left hand, right hand, secure the shoulders, tell myself to load up, do it, then push the ground. Definitely helps having that step by step worked out.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have a little 'routine', sort of.

I rub my calluses back and forth against the barbell, maybe smack it in a drumming motion a few times, then I make sure my form is correct and that everything is tight, take a deep breath, and perform the lift. For deadlifts, I also turn my feet back and forth like I'm squashing a bug on the floor. :P

For bench, I do the same as above (even the feet thing), and make sure that my arch is proper and my shoulders are back, then slide the weight off of the rack.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Liquid vitamin B supplements.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I look at instagram pics of really fit chicks...this might work for you also ;)