Do you cook with butters and oils?

13»

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    I do use butter and olive oil. Not a ton of it like I used to (seriously, I would put like a 1/4 of cup of butter on a baked potato...in addition to the sour cream!), but in moderation. There is just no comparison. As usual, it's just a matter of portion control. Every now and then I'll even make my own (heavy whipping cream in a bowl, put a marble in the bowl and a dash of salt, put lid on, shake until butter is born). Yum.

My Dad only uses Smart Balance margarine. Every now and then I taste it to remind myself how fake it tastes. We ate margarine throughout my childhood because my mom bought into the "butter is bad" campaign, and it just stuck with him.

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    I cook with coconut or grapeseed oils. Sometimes, I'll use ghee.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    i love butter but i can taste it more if i spread it on things rather than cook with it. If i'm doing a stir fry or eggs or something I just dry fry it with nothing. It saves room for extra cheese and tasty things like that.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Processed vegetable oils are unnatural to the human body. I stear clear of any safflower, canola, corn, soy oils. I use coconut oil, grass fed butter and ghee, olive oil and occasionally some nut oils like walnut and macadamia. Vegetable oils go rancid easily and there's growing evidence that they are in some part responsible for our current health epidemic. Don't be afraid of fat, it's good for you! Whole food is always best.

^^^ There's no science to support any of these claims.

Eat what you like, but please don't spread pseudoscience or faux science.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    I have recently started using ghee as well, yeah it's a strange alternative to butter, I switched from earth balance back to no salt butter and ghee. I am trying coconut oil as well. Always love to cook with olive oil most of the time. A spray of Pam here and there, to help with sticking.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    We use real butter and various oils regularly but sparingly... and much to my MIL's horror, we do not put our butter in the fridge.