Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'd label you as a Kenyan long distance runner
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This has been a very interesting thread. Solid advice on the first page from many long time members who recognize the OP and understand her goals. Then we get some kid on here sharing random *kitten* and thinking it's funny to give unrealistic advice. Never change MFP, never change.

By the way, I sent the OP a PM. I figured as a female who struggled to make my arms grow and finally saw some decent results I'd share some anatomy that helped me understand why I wasn't growing and a general idea of what I've used that worked.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options
    w734q672 wrote: »
    Remember, I did not bring up crossfit. However, I totally need to rag on crossfit if someone associates me with the zumba of weightlifting.

Here's my trend on crossfit hate
    *I feel a little bored, so I thought this would amuse you :)

2010: Wtf am I witnessing
    2011: I totally need to make fun of this *totally makes a youtube video
    2012: I'm never going to run out of Crossfit jokes.
    2013: Seriously, it's still going? What is wrong with these people
    2014: I'm going to curbstomp the next crossfit person doing kipping pullups in my gym

I'm already tired of making fun of Crossfit. At this point in time, I'm more interested in watching crossfitters get injured, because it just means that I'll see one less crossfitter kipping/humping the pullup bar.

Crossfit isn't particularly my cup of tea, but there are still athletes out there that are fairly strong, and impressive from a performance point of view. Interestingly enough, I would bet that a good portion of them are stronger than you as well.. women included.

(Next statement not meant to be rude) Your position on strength seems kind of one dimensional, and I would not be surprised that some athletes specialize and have advantages in certain types of strengths.

Different types of strengths can include:
    Maximal strength- greatest amount of force that a muscle or muscle groups can voluntarily produce, regardless of time
    Explosive strength- acceleration or rate of force development, or the neuromuscular system's ability to generate high action velocities
    Strength endurance-ability of a muscle or group of muscles to repeatedly exert force against resistance
    Relative strength- how strong you are in relation to your bodyweight

For most crossfitters, they specialize in strength endurance. Whereas, powerlifters specialize in maximal strength. Neither of which my programming is focused on.

it would be unfair to deem a crossfitter more fit/ stronger than a powerlifter because he/she has relatively more stamina (strength endurance), which is not necessarily a fair conclusion on the basis that they are not being judged in the same arena.

* On the whole Crossfit thing, well, I'm just tired of it. I really don't care anymore, as long as I'm not being antagonized by crossfit people or labelled as a crossfitter.

*Op should totally do pullups for bigger arms. Because well...crossfit logic
    4i068j.jpg

Thank you for telling me everything I'm already aware of. I still stand by my point that a large portion (women included) are stronger than you. Give credit where credit is due.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel like that was a huge giant "no duh" response.

we all already know that- it's like yelling at powerlifters- Y USUCKATRUNNING BRAh.

because dipsh!t I don't train to run- I train to lift.

different goals- different trainging- different results. Derp- we know.

Secondly- YES- actually- reverse grip cheater pull ups have more bicep activation almost ANY other curl we do.

So yeah- PS- he's right.... and also second PPS- he's not a crossfitter- jesus H christ.

Secondly- thirdly - forthly whatever
    - he's significantly more educated and qualified than you are to speak on the subject.

Seriously

if Fred Hatfield is endorsing the man- I shut up and listen
    Bill Starr, author of The Strongest Shall Survive, Defying Gravity and his massive 725-page fiction, The Susquehanna River Hills Chronicles, is a former Olympic lifter and powerlifting competitor. In 1966 he moved to York, Pennsylvania, where he became the assistant editor of Strength and Health magazine, and later became the strength and conditioning coach for the Baltimore Colts, the Houston Oilers, and at the University of Hawaii, the University of Maryland and Johns Hopkins. He currently writes for MILO and Iron Man magazines.
    In this article by Fred Hatfield, Dr. Squat writes:
    Starr became one of the first strength and conditioning coaches in the NFL when he joined the Baltimore Colts in 1970. His resume includes a long list of positions held and writing for some of the biggest magazines of the era. Suffice it to say, he's been around the world of strength for a pretty long time, and knows that world like the back of his hand!

Writes Marty Gallagher, "''The Strongest Shall Survive; Defying Gravity by Bill Starr, 1976 Bill Starr is arguably the best writer in the fitness game and a man I have read since the mid-sixties. Anytime I see his name, I read whatever is attached to it. No arm chair quarterback, Bill cleaned 446 and won the Pan Am Games back in the sixties. The Strongest Shall Survive is a book about football preparation and is still relevant today. Defying Gravity is about preparing for powerlifting and weightlifting competition. Starr has a wonderful ability to combine antecedents with science. He consistently comes up with commonsense ways to nurture improvement. He writes for MILO magazine currently and remains at the top of his formidable abilities.''
    http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.BillStarr
  • JoRocka
    Options
    feralX wrote: »
    @JoRocka
    "So you are going to curbstomp me for doing walking lunges with a releve and passe hold in my gym?"
    Well I hope your proud of yourself. I haven't even had any coffee yet and already you've made me use Google. Damn it you're too smart.... you make me feel dumb :(

While your responses have been eloquent and intelligent, I'm afraid they've been a complete waste of your time and resources in this thread. If nobody feeds it maybe it will just wither and die. Fingers crossed.

I know- but well- I can't help myself- I used to be faily negative on cross fit and then I realized- it's like zumba- then it made sense- and also I realized- it doesn't bother me- and people are making their lives better... it fall a little bit under the " i hate girls who workout with make up" kind of subject- which I rail against vehemently. (I lift in make up-and it has yet to hold up progress-LMAO)
    -
    anyway- sorry for the le-google- I shall video next time I do them just for you ;) then you can see my torture LOL
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Remember, I did not bring up crossfit. However, I totally need to rag on crossfit if someone associates me with the zumba of weightlifting.

Here's my trend on crossfit hate
    *I feel a little bored, so I thought this would amuse you :)

2010: Wtf am I witnessing
    2011: I totally need to make fun of this *totally makes a youtube video
    2012: I'm never going to run out of Crossfit jokes.
    2013: Seriously, it's still going? What is wrong with these people
    2014: I'm going to curbstomp the next crossfit person doing kipping pullups in my gym

I'm already tired of making fun of Crossfit. At this point in time, I'm more interested in watching crossfitters get injured, because it just means that I'll see one less crossfitter kipping/humping the pullup bar.

Crossfit isn't particularly my cup of tea, but there are still athletes out there that are fairly strong, and impressive from a performance point of view. Interestingly enough, I would bet that a good portion of them are stronger than you as well.. women included.

(Next statement not meant to be rude) Your position on strength seems kind of one dimensional, and I would not be surprised that some athletes specialize and have advantages in certain types of strengths.

Different types of strengths can include:
    Maximal strength- greatest amount of force that a muscle or muscle groups can voluntarily produce, regardless of time
    Explosive strength- acceleration or rate of force development, or the neuromuscular system's ability to generate high action velocities
    Strength endurance-ability of a muscle or group of muscles to repeatedly exert force against resistance
    Relative strength- how strong you are in relation to your bodyweight

For most crossfitters, they specialize in strength endurance. Whereas, powerlifters specialize in maximal strength. Neither of which my programming is focused on.

it would be unfair to deem a crossfitter more fit/ stronger than a powerlifter because he/she has relatively more stamina (strength endurance), which is not necessarily a fair conclusion on the basis that they are not being judged in the same arena.

* On the whole Crossfit thing, well, I'm just tired of it. I really don't care anymore, as long as I'm not being antagonized by crossfit people or labelled as a crossfitter.

*Op should totally do pullups for bigger arms. Because well...crossfit logic
    4i068j.jpg

Thank you for telling me everything I'm already aware of. I still stand by my point that a large portion (women included) are stronger than you. Give credit where credit is due.

Oomph. :laugh:

Well, I read all 7 pages and found this seems to sum up a majority of what was going on.

Deer-popcorn.gif
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Lol at not quite knowing who Bill Starr is and thinking he's a crossfitter.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Even Rip was affiliated with Crossfit for a time.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    "anyway- sorry for the le-google- I shall video next time I do them just for you ;) then you can see my torture LOL"

Would appreciate it Jo, pictures good...words bad

By the way, are you suggesting you get better training results with makeup? I'm open to trying new things...what do you recommend, will lipstick and blush be enough?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I'm always slightly amused as well when people bang on about a 5x5 routine yet have no clue who Bill Starr is...
  • feralX
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

I'm always slightly amused as well when people bang on about a 5x5 routine yet have no clue who Bill Starr is...

Wasn't he the drummer for the Beatles?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Lol - no, he was the voice of Thomas the Tank Engine.
  • feralX
    Options

Lol - no, he was the voice of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Oh, my bad...don't know him then, stopped watching Saturday morning shows long ago...everything went downhill after Bugs Bunny and the Flintstones.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    "anyway- sorry for the le-google- I shall video next time I do them just for you ;) then you can see my torture LOL"

Would appreciate it Jo, pictures good...words bad

By the way, are you suggesting you get better training results with makeup? I'm open to trying new things...what do you recommend, will lipstick and blush be enough?
    at least mascara- lipstick is good.
    Blush is a bonus- but meh- you're cheeks get red enough if you're doing the cardio things. LOL.
    I'm just saying- if you look good- maybe you'll work harder ;) you never know- could add 50 pounds to your squat ;)
    Pictures good- words bad. On it. check check check.
    Oh, my bad...don't know him then, stopped watching Saturday morning shows long ago...everything went downhill after Bugs Bunny and the Flintstones.
    I didn't even have that- I grew up with no TV- so I missed all the fun! :sadpandaface
  • feralX
    Options
    Mascara, lipstick, blush...got it...pretty beast mode on! lol
    Don't worry those pics won't make it onto my page.
    Probably a good thing I train alone in my basement.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    damnit. I was so looking forward to that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Mascara, lipstick, blush...got it...pretty beast mode on! lol
    Don't worry those pics won't make it onto my page.
    Probably a good thing I train alone in my basement.

Dang! I was so in for pics!