Weight Loss Surgery for Morbidly Obese

Replies

• raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    I approached my doctor about this when I was desperate but he was non-commital and so I undertook to learn about it myself. Over time, I learned a good deal about the various types of surgery, their benefits and drawbacks. This type of surgery is brutal! The thought of someone undertaking such assaults on my body (and with my permission) leaves me cold.

Finally, I identified where I was going wrong with my attempts at natural weight loss and success flowed.

Weigh and log - weigh and log - weigh and log. It works!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    I forgot to add that if going to respected weight loss program and weight loss doctor and Contrave does not work, then I would carefully consider surgery. However, I strongly recommend trying contrave if you are a candidate plus perhaps metformin since these 2 drugs have been around a long time and are unlike the phen-fen debacle. The contrave tackles mood, appetite, and cravings. The metformin helps to normalize insulin and blood sugar and thereby decreasing hunger and cravings. The contrave has a black box warning but I read recently they are re-thinking that black box warning and I still believe the wellbutrin component is very safe. Many safe drugs have long laundry lists of usually remote possible side effects.

The bottom line is that I see these as tools and I still have to do my part. I am 15 pounds down! I am glad to see medicine is finally coming up with some possible real solutions for what I see as a real disease. To me it is miraculous to not be plagued with constant hunger and cravings.

The black box warning is for the Wellbutrin. I think all anti-depressants have that warning because their use has been correlated with suicidal thoughts. (This happened to me on Celexa.)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    I thought about it several years ago. Then after tons of research I decided that it wasn't going to be an option for me. I do know two people who've done it and have been successful. My only suggestion is to do a LOT of research, meet and talk with people who have had it done. Also, talk with people who've lost significant weight without surgery.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    harmar21 wrote: »
    Maybe on paper the formula it is easy weight change = CI - CO. And while he CI is somewhat easy to figure out (unless you eat someone elses cooking), the CO number is extremely difficult.
    It's really not that difficult to figure out a rough CO estimate. One lb of human fatty tissue equals about 3500 calories. If you know roughly how many calories you have taken in during a set period of time, let's say 1500 cals/day for four weeks, and weigh yourself before and after, then the amount you've lost, let's say 2 lbs, means that your calorie deficit has been 250/day, and your average exdenditure has been 1750 calories/day. This isn't exact, but it's good enough for most people.
  • messy3jop
    messy3jop Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    I had MGB Surgery by Dr. Hargroder in Joplin Mo on July 3rd 2014. I weighed 235 at time of surgery and as of today I am down 70 pounds. At 5'4" 235 pounds was a lot to carry around. It had started affecting my vision and the joint pain was horrible. I don't regret my decision at all. It is my tool. I and am sure many others have a relationship with food that others don't and will never understand. I tried everything and I mean everything to get the weight off and if someone ever trys to tell me that I chose the easy way out well,... walk a day in my shoes and then maybe you would understand. I tell everyone that my two brothers born before me stole all the metabolism. Lol! But honestly I have the world's worst metabolism. Everyday is a hard day. I have learned that now I have to eat to live and not live to eat. Protein Protein Protein. Chew Chew Chew. I am supposed to eat double the amount of protein of a person that has not had WLS and trust me it is most days very hard to get that much in. So if you have had weight loss surgery I wish you all the best and even the ones that haven't had surgery.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    NikonPal did not deserve the flag on his post. (Even though Canon is better!) :smiley:
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    lemon629 wrote: »
    mykaylis wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey, sevendust. How about someone like me who is losing the old fashioned way too? I never yo-yo dieted, never went for fads. My weight gain over the years was very steady; a couple pounds a year. The few times I went on Weight Watchers I followed the program and lost weight.

I'm not a whiner by nature.

It still was the best decision for me to have the bariatric surgery. You know the definition of insanity?

You said weight loss is not easy. I disagree, weight loss is a simple formula that any reasonable person with the slightest bit of motivation should be able to achieve. Just my opinion

Weight loss is not a formula. Weight loss is applying a formula. HUGE difference.

amen, sister! i've known exactly how to lose weight for 20 years. theoretically that is. actually applying that knowledge has been a HUGE hurdle for me and continues to be something i need to work on. i'm doing ok, i've lost 50 lbs since my highest weight, but that's taken more than a year of behaviour changes and i've got a long way to go. WLS for me will be another tool in the toolbox. that's all it is. i've proven through many failed weight loss systems that i need to take care of the hunger pains and the ability to overeat. seriously, i'm really never NOT hungry, and the surgery i'm having removes a large part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin. and i'll have a stomach the size of a banana so i can't gorge. it doesn't take care of all the problems though - if i decided to eat a lot of broccoli cheddar soup, i could consume a huge amount of calories and fat very quickly because it'll kind of slide right through. that's why it's just a tool, not a miracle.

you have to do hard work no matter what you do.

You will still be able to overeat. Work on changing those habits now. And the stomach can be stretched back out. My friend has gained over one hundred pounds since having gastric sleeve surgery, after an initial loss of around 60. She didn't follow directions, she has stretched her stomach, and now can overeat to her heart's delight. She regularly eats more than I do in a single meal, yet her stomach is supposedly half the size. I also know someone else who has gained back approximately 50 pounds after having the gastric sleeve. Like you said, it's just a tool, but it is a tool that does not and will not do everything you think it will.

how is that? i don't expect the surgery to do the work for me. i expect the surgery to take away hunger to an extent (which it will, because removing the fundus removes the major source of ghrelin) and makes it uncomfortable to eat too much (which, if you don't respect your limits as prescribed by your doctor, can result in sleeve expansion). i AM already preparing for it. i'm following my dietician's pre-op requirements. and yes, i'm fully aware that many people regain part of the weight. a "success" is when someone loses, and keeps off, 50% of their excess weight. which could still leave me obese. i'm not under any illusions here.
  • Take it off with diet n working out. You'll feel better and can take pride in working for it
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Take it off with diet n working out. You'll feel better and can take pride in working for it

^^Really? You can take pride in it no matter how you accomplish it. It isn't easy no matter how you do it.
  • lalanie17
    lalanie17 Posts: 63 Member
    I would tell you from experience was the best gift I have ever given to myself..I decided to have it done around 2 years ago, I had the vertical sleeve done I have lost a little over 100 so far....
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Weight loss surgery is definitely a viable and useful tool. It is definitely worth considering. There are countless people who have had it done and lost a lot of weight (and kept it off). Anybody who is morbidly obese needs to consider all the tools available when devising a plan to try to lose weight.

Anybody who thinks it's a "loser way out" or that it's "cheating" does NOT know what they're talking about.

Back in December 2010, I went to an informational seminar on lap-band surgery. The following April, I went to see the doctor who did the seminar. He wanted me to lose 90 pounds prior to surgery. They've found that getting people to a certain BMI prior to surgery somehow aids in the success of it all. They set me up with a bariatric nutritionist who I met with once a month, and a therapist. They definitely knew what they were doing because I lost 90 pounds in about a year.

I ended up not getting the lap-band because I was doing so well at that time. I had gotten up to 115 pounds lost on my own, then had skin removal surgery (another 26 pounds). Then "life" hit me pretty hard. Now I'm sitting at about 78 pounds lost. Consequently, now I'm second guessing that decision not to have the surgery.

The thing to consider is: Either way (with or without the surgery), you're going to have to change your eating habits. Will the surgery (wither roux-n-y or gastric sleeve or lap-band) help you to be "compliant" and stick with the changes?

I know someone who did it to force compliance. He hasn't changed his eating habits - he still has the same "crap" he was having before; only now, since he can't have as much of it, he isn't gaining weight. I don't know why, but that bothers me. He could be "compliant" (eating more healthy foods) and just be rocking it! But that's when I have to say to myself, "his journey is his, and mine is mine."

Sorry for the novel - just wanted to add my perspective.

• lalanie17
    lalanie17 Posts: 63 Member
    I am 5'6 and at that time I weighed 347 lost some with weight watchers..at the time I had surgery I was 291 like I said I cant speak for everyone but when I was 100lbs overweight I lost all hope...some will say do it naturally because its safe and easy...but do what you think is best for you and your health..I can tell you one thing it is a push in the right direction...losing weight with it gave me the motivation and energy, I am more active with my daughter than I was before
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    My mum's friend had a gastric bypass a few months ago. She had to go on a super restrictive diet beforehand, can now only eat tiny portions and it made her so ill she'd never do it again.... Although I know some people do have success with it, I would rather eat less than hardly anything!
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    I had gastric bypass surgery on 11/18/14. I'm doing great. As for the comment about complications from wls can be fatal...be sure to have the surgery done at a Center for Excellence. And, fatalities are rare today. There are, of course, risks as with any surgery. I had mine at St. Luke's Hospital in Allentown, PA. Their statistics are high compared to the national average. I at one time was very opposed to weight loss surgery thinking of it as an easy way out. I was borderline diabetic (in a family where many have died due to complication from the disease), had high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and struggled with being obese for a very long time. I am 57 pounds down. So for me the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Be sure to attend information sessions, research, and talk to other bariatric patients to be mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared. It is NOT an easy way out. It's a tool. Almost everyone I've met at support groups who was diabetic is no longer diabetic or their insulin dosage has been drastically reduced. I was taken off blood pressure and cholesterol medicine the day after the surgery and both are in normal range. I started out wanting the sleeve, but conversations with my surgeon led me to decide to do the bypass. Check out http://mystlukesonline.activeboards.net/forums.html. It's a forum of bariatric patients started by St. Luke's, but anyone can participate. You'll get a good feel for patients' experiences, ups, downs, regrets, etc. Best success on your journey, whichever path you choose!
  • PALady4JC
    IMO it is a cop out for the folks that love to make excuses as to why they are unable to lose weight the natural way.

Shame on you for making such an asinine statement without, obviously, having done any research into the procedure.
  • PALady4JC
    I lost 109lbs. to date (since 2009). I considered it in 2009 when I started my journey. Though I wasn't morbidly obese, I was only about 15lbs. shy (and the rate I was going I would have hit it quickly). Honestly? I'm going to tell you what everyone told you. It's just too risky. I crash dieted with Atkins (the old style of atkins 20g of carbs a day...MAX) and mostly walking till I got into the 100's (started running when I was about 210lbs. for a few minutes at a time). The hardest part is maintaining, but if you can get in the right frame of mind to discipline yourself, go for it. Your bariatric surgeon is going to put you on a "diet" anyways, they have to exhaust all options for insurance reasons...so why not give it a try?

As for the "diet" the surgeon puts you on, that may or may not be true depending on your situation. Some insurance companies do require a period of waiting and/or dieting before the procedure. Mine did not. One thing I learned that surprised me is the reason for needing to lose weight before the surgery. I thought it was for discipline reasons. While that's likely a part of it, the main reason is because when you're obese your liver is enlarged. The liver sits on top of the stomach. Losing weight shrinks the liver thereby reducing the risk of the surgery. In my case I had to lose 5% of my body weight prior to surgery; 50% of that 5% had to be lost before surgery could be scheduled.

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    PALady4JC wrote: »
    I lost 109lbs. to date (

I knew 4 sisters who were all morbidly obese.....all of em. Bad child hood with an abusive father

also, the oldest had it, has done well, not too many issues

the 2nd and 3rd sister had the procedure........they did so so on the surgery, one of em had some post surgery issues, but is ok

the 4 th never had it

Today, 2 years later
    Sister one is with in her weight loss goal

Sister two and three gained ALL the weight back

Sister four never had the surgery........she suffered her first heart attack about 2 years ago

Strange thing, after all these surgeries, none of them speak to each other...they used to be close, when they were all massive and obese, they all got along fine

then sister 2 and sister 3 would call each other out if one ate the " WRONG" kind of food, or ate too much....they then started binging and sister one caught on to them, called them out ,so they stopped speaking with sister one...........sister 4 got fed up with the other 3 when they turned on her after her first heart attack, after they would gang up on her and say......." see ,we told you to have the surgery, and now you had a heart attack".........
    kinda sad..........now all of them are not speaking.......... strange results....

note.....all 4 were sexually molested by dad, who was abusive , military and extremely cruel to all of them........they haven't spoken to dad in about 10 years........
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    I knew 4 sisters who were all morbidly obese.....all of em. Bad child hood with an abusive father

also, the oldest had it, has done well, not too many issues

the 2nd and 3rd sister had the procedure........they did so so on the surgery, one of em had some post surgery issues, but is ok

the 4 th never had it

Today, 2 years later
    Sister one is with in her weight loss goal

Sister two and three gained ALL the weight back

Sister four never had the surgery........she suffered her first heart attack about 2 years ago

Strange thing, after all these surgeries, none of them speak to each other...they used to be close, when they were all massive and obese, they all got along fine

then sister 2 and sister 3 would call each other out if one ate the " WRONG" kind of food, or ate too much....they then started binging and sister one caught on to them, called them out ,so they stopped speaking with sister one...........sister 4 got fed up with the other 3 when they turned on her after her first heart attack, after they would gang up on her and say......." see ,we told you to have the surgery, and now you had a heart attack".........
    kinda sad..........now all of them are not speaking.......... strange results....

note.....all 4 were sexually molested by dad, who was abusive , military and extremely cruel to all of them........they haven't spoken to dad in about 10 years........
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2015
    PALady4JC wrote: »
    I lost 109lbs. to date (since 2009). I considered it in 2009 when I started my journey. Though I wasn't morbidly obese, I was only about 15lbs. shy (and the rate I was going I would have hit it quickly). Honestly? I'm going to tell you what everyone told you. It's just too risky. I crash dieted with Atkins (the old style of atkins 20g of carbs a day...MAX) and mostly walking till I got into the 100's (started running when I was about 210lbs. for a few minutes at a time). The hardest part is maintaining, but if you can get in the right frame of mind to discipline yourself, go for it. Your bariatric surgeon is going to put you on a "diet" anyways, they have to exhaust all options for insurance reasons...so why not give it a try?

As for the "diet" the surgeon puts you on, that may or may not be true depending on your situation. Some insurance companies do require a period of waiting and/or dieting before the procedure. Mine did not. One thing I learned that surprised me is the reason for needing to lose weight before the surgery. I thought it was for discipline reasons. While that's likely a part of it, the main reason is because when you're obese your liver is enlarged. The liver sits on top of the stomach. Losing weight shrinks the liver thereby reducing the risk of the surgery. In my case I had to lose 5% of my body weight prior to surgery; 50% of that 5% had to be lost before surgery could be scheduled.

I had lap band surgery in May 2012. I was put on a diet by my surgeon for the two weeks prior to surgery for exactly that reason. Since my surgery was laproscopic, he didn't have much room in there and wanted my liver to be as small as possible. The diet consisted of oatmeal, applesauce, and artificially sweetened jello and protein shakes. It was pretty awful, but it was only two weeks. He never gave me any other kind of diet other than that -- I had to see his nutritionist several times before and after surgery, but I already knew what to do, food-wise.

Anyway, OP, if you're still out there: A lot of people have given you excellent advice on this thread. Some have said not so nice things. Some people will always insist that we've "cheated" and "taken the easy way." I've even had people dismiss my opinions on weight loss, fitness, and nutrition because I'm "altered" and therefore not part of the "normal" human race. One lovely woman even called me a disgusting freak. I know I did what I had to do for me, and I'm glad I did it. I also could not have been as successful as I've been had I not worked on my head as much as my body. You absolutely have to change your relationship to food for the rest of your life, and that takes a lot of work, with or without surgery. I still slip into old habits sometimes, but with the knowledge and experience I've gained over the last couple of years, and with a whole team of experts who have my back, I'm still on the road to success. Surgery is risky. Educate yourself. Think about it long and hard. If you go through with it, your life will never be the same.
  • cherrylf
    cherrylf Posts: 14 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I am considering weight loss surgery, I am sure the bashing will happen, any comments for or against?

Most who go this route regain significant weight.

It's not a "cure"...

I guess you are reading something I haven't read. I had the surgery 5 years ago yesterday and lost 174lbs. I did regain when I stopped using the tool. But now I am back to using the tool and am keeping the weight off. Many people do gain some weight back, but I have not heard that most regain significant before.