Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

1171819202123»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i've either pulled or bruised some muscle or other which is either a pec or in the rhomboids/traps zone . . . or i just got too serious with the lacrosse ball and the whole kelly starrett it's-supposed-to-make-you-whimper mobility schtick. it's mind-bending how a pectoral trigger point travels all the way around your ribcage and nails you right next to your spine. like a zipper undoing an orange or something. or something like that. i can't stop poking at it just to feel the weird sheet-lightning kind of effect.

anyway. i'm in no kind of shape for lifting, especially upper body. and this time i am NOT going to try until this is for-really better.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    OHP day! You know what's sick? I'm starting to like OHP! The past two weeks my lower body lifts have been hard and crappy and my upper body lifts have been feeling great. I usually love squats but I haven't been lately.

OHP: 3@55, 3@65, 5@75 then 3x9 @ 62.5lbs
    Upright rows: 3x9 @‌ 55lbs
    Side planks: 3x45 seconds
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    glwerth wrote: »
    97 on OHP. After all this time, you'd think it would be higher, but you'd be wrong. These are so hard for me and I HATE them. But, I did 5x5 and will increase next time.

97 is awesome!! It's taken me a year to get to 77.5 and that's 20lbs less than what you've gotten to; I think that's quite an accomplishment you should be proud of! :)

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Gym was dead dead dead this morning! I know the weight room at the women's gym is pretty quiet, this morning there were like 3 people in there at one point, including me! It was nice. In the 4 or 5 times I have gone to that gym, I have only encountered someone else using the rack once. I may switch my membership to include this location too once the construction is done at my usual one. The equipment isn't as good, but is less busy, quiet, and it is nice not having to clean up after the boys :p It is also close to my work.

Squat - 2x5 at 45, 1x5 at 75, 5x5 at 115 lbs! I've got to admit, looking at those 35 lb plates on the bar was a little scary! I am thinking of repeating this weight as I feel I didn't break parallel a couple times.

Bench - 5,5,5,5,4 at 70 lbs. So close! I wasn't expecting to get even that far though, so that was a nice surprise. Couldn't get the last rep up. Luckily in this gym I BP in the power rack, so I just had to roll the bar on the safeties. I wonder if I would have managed to pull it off on the bench to avoid the roll of shame?...hrm. Well, repeat this one next time anyhow.

Rows - 5x5 at 75 lbs. I will be repeating this weight too. I think I was lifting my back as I went on and using some momentum there.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    katro111 wrote: »
    glwerth wrote: »
    97 on OHP. After all this time, you'd think it would be higher, but you'd be wrong. These are so hard for me and I HATE them. But, I did 5x5 and will increase next time.

97 is awesome!! It's taken me a year to get to 77.5 and that's 20lbs less than what you've gotten to; I think that's quite an accomplishment you should be proud of! :)

Thanks. It has taken me two years of hard work to get there. I was at 105 before summer, but I had a bunch of injuries, so I ended up going backward.

OHP is hard...don't like. :smile:
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Yesterday was run day. 9:57 mile. Much better than the previous few times.

Today
    Squat 2 warmup sets, 2 X 5 100 lbs. Got a little shaky on the 3rd set, so stopped.

Bench @ 90lbs. 5/5/5/2/3. Ap says to deload. I'm not sure, I think maybe I could hit all my reps if given one more shot-I got a little out of rhythm on my last two sets.

Rows @ 85 lbs 3/3/4/3/3.

I feel very out of balance. One's bench should not be so close to one's squat-your legs hold you up all day and should be much stronger. :/
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    TheMOC wrote: »
    Yesterday was run day. 9:57 mile. Much better than the previous few times.

Today
    Squat 2 warmup sets, 2 X 5 100 lbs. Got a little shaky on the 3rd set, so stopped.

Bench @ 90lbs. 5/5/5/2/3. Ap says to deload. I'm not sure, I think maybe I could hit all my reps if given one more shot-I got a little out of rhythm on my last two sets.

Rows @ 85 lbs 3/3/4/3/3.

I feel very out of balance. One's bench should not be so close to one's squat-your legs hold you up all day and should be much stronger. :/

Running for 10 miles will definitely tax your legs a LOT though. I know for a fact even just like 30-45 minutes 3 times a week last summer stalled my squat completely.

Also, bench form is easier to get right than the squat form. Maybe a few tweaks would make your weigth skyrocket there. Hard to say without a video though
  • I had such bad DOMS that I took an extra day off. Hip flexors were screaming until yesterday.

I backed off a bit on squat to 125 from 130 5x5. I did an extra three at 130 and it was hard. I don't know why that five pounds is so difficult!

Row 75 5x5 this was weirdly easy.

Bench 80 5,5,5,3,3 many were ugly. I had a surprisingly easy time first time I did this but this time was hellish.

Extra stuff:

Split squats 45 3x15 each side
    Side bends 25 3x15 each side
    Chest flies 20 3x8
    Skull crushers 40 3x8
    Planks 3x45 seconds
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Today is the day I add plates to the Oly Bar for OHP. I will see how that goes....
  • I meant bench 85, oops.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    This is from Saturday...

I was so excited to do 2 workouts in 1 day. Got up early and did my 5x5 as programmed, but when I started rows my lower back screamed at me!
    I managed 2 at warm up weight and had to stop.

Squats - 5x5 @‌ 105lbs
    BP - 5x5 @‌ - 65lbs
    Tricep pulldowns - 3x12 @‌ 20lbs
    Bicep Curls 3x10 @‌

Came home to do legs with hubby again and my back hurt so bad I have been out of commission for 2 days.

May be taking another few days off to heal.