Anyone starting C25K? I couldn't even manage the 1st one!! :(

124»

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Interval training is what gets the best and most noticeable results and improvements over time.

ummm, not really when one is talking about running performance. As an intro it's pretty good.

I'm not sure that someone starting C25K is worried about running performance at this point. If you're an experienced runner, intervals won't do the same. But if you're just starting, they really help to condition your body and you, as a person, will notice how much you're improving and the changes your body is going through. And it will also help with cardio improvement, which for me has been the hardest issue to overcome.

It's not so much about worrying about anything as a beginner, but when something is said in general terms like your original comment was, it is hard to know in what context (beginner, intermediate or advanced) you mean it, so a follow-up clarification was in order.
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Ive tried a couple times--I cant do it---I just listen to my music and run when I can and walk when I can--maybe eventually I will be able to do it
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Interval training is what gets the best and most noticeable results and improvements over time.

ummm, not really when one is talking about running performance. As an intro it's pretty good.

I'm not sure that someone starting C25K is worried about running performance at this point. If you're an experienced runner, intervals won't do the same. But if you're just starting, they really help to condition your body and you, as a person, will notice how much you're improving and the changes your body is going through. And it will also help with cardio improvement, which for me has been the hardest issue to overcome.

It's not so much about worrying about anything as a beginner, but when something is said in general terms like your original comment was, it is hard to know in what context (beginner, intermediate or advanced) you mean it, so a follow-up clarification was in order.

Sorry - I just thought that because it's a thread about starting C25K we weren't really talking about anything else.

I will be more specific next time.
  • revphillips
    revphillips Posts: 19 Member
    You can do it! No matter how rough the first one feels, just keep going and that is the key. I started C25K around 2007 and I'm not sure I've ever fully finished it all the way through, I've jumped around after falling off the wagon, and jumped back on. BUT I always kept going.

I would generally stick with one "session" until I felt strong doing it. So if I was on week 2, day 3 and felt AWFUL, didn't complete all of the runs, etc. Then they next time I went, I stuck with week 2, day 3, even though I was technically on week 3. I did that a couple times and then pushed myself to move onto the next.

I finished a half marathon - run/walking mix - in October 2014 and singed up for another half in April 2015. You CAN do this.

The only thing that makes you a runner is if you RUN. And if that means running for 15 seconds within a long session of walking - you are still a RUNNER and you CAN do this!
  • thisisart1
    thisisart1 Posts: 5 Member
    Just to echo what quite a few people have already said, it does get easier. I am halfway through the plan and I repeated the first week 3 times! What finally made me breakthrough, and feel good doing it was two things:
    1- Going Slow. As slow as I possibly could. Slower than I walk.
    2- Feeling proud that I was even out there doing it and not stressing about what all those "real runners" thought of me.
    Once I realized that I am a real runner too, albeit a glacially slow one, I was able to feel good about what I was doing and strive to keep going.
    Here's to us all getting out there for a great run!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Lots of people on here talk about doing intervals without any context around what their meaning is. And we frequently see people recommending HIIT to someone who's untrained.

Given the phrasing I was concerned that you were suggesting something that's likely to lead to injury for a new runner.

Whilst C25K is an interval plan I'd hestitate to describe it as such.

I perhaps came across a little harsher than would have been expected though.
  • Thank you or all of your advice and experience, will keep going x