Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Been Judged By Your Appearance?

TheRoadDogTheRoadDog Posts: 11,863Member Member Posts: 11,863Member Member
Here's a couple of instances where I have.

1. I was riding home from a Cigar Herf. Kind of out of my area and I took a wrong turn down some less travelled road. Came upon a truck in the middle of the road. A guy was manhandling a gal in the road. I stopped my Truck, jumped out, knocked him to the ground and grabbed the gal. Took her back to my Truck and drove off. She was crying and shaking. She started to thank me and then looked over at me. I could tell by the look on her face that she thought she had just jumped from the Frying Pan to the Fire. She wanted out. I took her to the nearest lighted area with a pay phone and dropped her, at her request.

2. I was riding my motorcycle down the road. Near my home. Saw a gal jogging. As I saw her, she stepped in a pot hole and twisted her ankle. I had a First Aid kit in my saddle bags and a chemical Ice Bag (shake and freeze). I stopped to help her. A woman in a nearby house saw me approach the downed gal and started screaming for her husband. Sure that I had just attacked that gal.

Been judged by your appearance?

Replies

• seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 9,824Member Member Posts: 9,824Member Member
    Absolutely. I think I've been positively and negatively judged by my appearance.

Probably the most vivid example of this would be how many times I got speeding tickets, seat belt tickets, etc, as a teenager driving a beat up car with alternative band stickers all over the back and wearing kind of grunge-goth (it was the 1990s) clothes. Fellow students assumed I did drugs and clerks eyeballed me in stores back then, prepared for me to steal.

In my 20's in a nicer vehicle I never got stopped for traffic violations. I wore office-appropriate clothes & tasteful makeup and no one suspected I liked to party A LOT or may have even had weed in the car (back in college, I don't do that stuff now). In my later 20's-early 30's I never once had any problem walking into a movie theater for free. Sometimes I would just walk in the exit route with no problems and maybe smile at the teenage ticket takers who probably saw me as their teacher/sister/mom and never even considered that I was sneaking in.
  • _Waffle__Waffle_ Posts: 13,080Member Member Posts: 13,080Member Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I took her to the nearest lighted area with a pay phone and dropped her, at her request.
    Where the blazes do you find a pay phone? How long ago did this story take place?

L7rkPNX.gif
  • the_jonthe_jon Posts: 110Member Posts: 110Member
    I only judge by appearance.
  • mericosemericose Posts: 71Member Member Posts: 71Member Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I took her to the nearest lighted area with a pay phone and dropped her, at her request.
    Where the blazes do you find a pay phone? How long ago did this story take place?

L7rkPNX.gif

Ha! Great post!
  • Calliope610Calliope610 Posts: 3,912Member Member Posts: 3,912Member Member
    I don't know if I've been "judged based on appearance", but I can sure-as-hell tell you that I judge based on appearance.

edited January 2015
  • raisealittlehellraisealittlehell Posts: 343Member Member Posts: 343Member Member
    When don't we get judged by our appearance? Every day we all make snap judgements about the people we see an encounter. The point is do we let that stop us from actually getting to know them and giving them the benefit of the doubt? or do we keep an open mind. I tend to keep an open mind and judge people as I get to know them.

My favorite is men assuming because I am a women, that I don't know anything about cars. Especially when I was car shopping. It was great to see them try and explain things to me,a and more often than not they were wrong- I would then turn around and tell them they were wrong, and list the actual specs on the car I was looking at. The look on their faces= priceless.

• Timshel_Timshel_ Posts: 22,916Member Member Posts: 22,916Member Member
    Funny, I just posted about how different responses are to my forum posts since updating my profile pic from in shape to out of shape.

Appearance makes a difference.
  • TheRoadDogTheRoadDog Posts: 11,863Member Member Posts: 11,863Member Member

L7rkPNX.gif

Happened about 10 years ago.

• TheVirgoddessTheVirgoddess Posts: 4,588Member Member Posts: 4,588Member Member
    I used to work in construction - so yeah, I've been judged based on my appearance (or perhaps my gender) often. It was often assumed that I knew nothing about how to build a house, despite years of experience.

I also know quite a bit about cars, thanks to my dad (he refused to let me drive one until I knew how to check/change the oil, check the trans fluid, change a tire, etc), and it's usually assumed I don't - but I'm not sure if that's based on gender or the fact that lots of people in general don't know the ins and outs of cars. I do find that I'm often talked down to in auto parts stores though.

I think that's it. I'm sure there are internal judgements going on, but I can't be bothered with those.
    When don't we get judged by our appearance? Every day we all make snap judgements about the people we see an encounter. The point is do we let that stop us from actually getting to know them and giving them the benefit of the doubt? or do we keep an open mind. I tend to keep an open mind and judge people as I get to know them.

My favorite is men assuming because I am a women, that I don't know anything about cars. Especially when I was car shopping. It was great to see them try and explain things to me,a and more often than not they were wrong- I would then turn around and tell them they were wrong, and list the actual specs on the car I was looking at. The look on their faces= priceless.
    How did you get that car in your kitchen?

(Just kidding)

L7rkPNX.gif

I still see one occasionally but those are far and few between now. Go back and watch an older movie like The Terminator and you'll see they're on every street corner and every bar. Not anymore.
  • kmcgallerykmcgallery Posts: 124Member Member Posts: 124Member Member
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    Funny, I just posted about how different responses are to my forum posts since updating my profile pic from in shape to out of shape.

Definitely, and random friend requests.
  • alywei3773alywei3773 Posts: 852Member Member Posts: 852Member Member
    -Anytime i handle a gun in public men get uneasy and or giggle , until i begin to start talking guns/shooting.
    -When i was training horses people had their skepticisms.
    -When i worked with reptiles, i would show up to peoples homes/businesses to remove venomous snakes. Rarely did they suspect that was what i was there for. Anything with the reptiles really, my dad would put me into all the reptile shows he could when i was a kid- jaws would drop when i would be covered in python or when i was banding up a gator jaw.

• Timshel_Timshel_ Posts: 22,916Member Member Posts: 22,916Member Member
    kmcgallery wrote: »
    ChaelAZ wrote: »

Definitely, and random friend requests.

Abs...solutely.

• TheRoadDogTheRoadDog Posts: 11,863Member Member Posts: 11,863Member Member

L7rkPNX.gif

I still see one occasionally but those are far and few between now. Go back and watch an older movie like The Terminator and you'll see they're on every street corner and every bar. Not anymore.

When I was growing up, you always made sure you had a dime in your pocket in case of emergencies.

• seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 9,824Member Member Posts: 9,824Member Member
    My dad gets a weird kick out of people judging him negatively based on his appearance. He is in his late 60's and in a suit for church or an event, he seriously looks like a silver fox type...but most of the time he wears flannel shirts, jeans, and used to even wear striped hillbilly looking overalls (!) to work in...people never assume that he owns tons of property and multiple businesses, and he prefers it that way.

Come to think of it, I know another guy my dad's age who is the same way. He's a retired banker with a beer belly & long beard, and he wears the same clothes for days on end. He's a good friend of my husband's and sometimes we will go to antique auto shows and people assume he's just some old vagrant but he owns the majority of the cars in the show including the absolute nicest & most expensive models. Kind of cool.
  • solarpower03solarpower03 Posts: 12,043Member Member Posts: 12,043Member Member
    Yes and realised it was most prevalent in NY/Finance hub. People treated way nicely when I was wearing suit versus when I was in Jeans and Ts. Not that common in Europe.
  • indycoltzindycoltz Posts: 547Member Member Posts: 547Member Member
    oh yes. One day I was on the highway, a small highway. I was driving home, & a lady, about 75 years old, had a stalled vehicle and was simply standing on the side of the road trying to wave down some help. I got out of my car, walked up to her, the fear in her eyes said it all. She said, & I quote, "oh, I was waiting for someone else".
    I get it though.
  • jessieandcharlotte78jessieandcharlotte78 Posts: 20Member Member Posts: 20Member Member
    yes, I am the one on the lef and I can't tell you how many times I was followed in stores as a teenager because they assumed I was there to steal! Or how many times people will dismiss you because your weight makes them uncomfortable. Judging on appearance is not something that mentally mature people will do. That is different than picking up clues as to what a person's interests are by observing appearance.
    My wife gets judged by her appearance and it is offensive to her and dangerous for other to do! lol
  • blueeyesgraceblueeyesgrace Posts: 409Member Member Posts: 409Member Member

Yes! I get this quite often! Just because I'm a gal doesn't mean that I don't still know a thing or two about cars, home renovations, etc. I can hold my own. Although I will admit that I can't hold my own when it comes to baking. I can cook, but I'm not the Betty Crocker type. I do own an apron, but I'm pretty sure it hangs in the kitchen for aesthetics...