Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Been Judged By Your Appearance?

Replies

• Joannah700Joannah700 Posts: 2,685Member Member Posts: 2,685Member Member
    I hadn't realized how much I get judged by my appearance until I became single. Previously, I just thought people were nice to me because I was friendly, didn't really put two and two together regarding my looks.

Case in point, I needed a dress cleaned the same day at my dry cleaners, and the proprietors (who are very nice) said that he wouldn't do this for just anyone, but he would do it for me, because he is not a gay man.

• jasonmh630jasonmh630 Posts: 2,859Member Member Posts: 2,859Member Member
    Quite a bit. Guys don't expect a 5 foot blond to know how to fire a gun or fish. They laugh until I start hitting the red of the target or catch 10 pound catfish on a first cast. I also get people who question my intelligence because I am very bubbly and silly at times but in all actuality I am very smart.

I can't say I am totally innocent because I have judged people based on looks but I am trying to get better about that.

I knew I liked you... ;)
  • ldrosophilaldrosophila Posts: 7,534Member, Premium Member Posts: 7,534Member, Premium Member
    Overweight white middle age female we can pretty much get away with murder...no one suspects the wallflower Mwhahahahaha!
  • seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 9,919Member Member Posts: 9,919Member Member
    _Tink_ wrote: »
    Yes. I picked up a second job a few months ago - just a simple retail position to help with bills. At work there, I wear jeans and the store t-shirt. I can't tell you how many customers talk down to me like I'm an idiot because I'm working in a low-paying retail position. Little do they know I have a masters degree and a former career with DoD.

ooh that's a good one too. Years ago, I earned well over 2X minimum wage (at the time) working in a video store as a supervisor and everyone would talk down to me or make weird assumptions. I also worked briefly in a law office as a "legal secretary" (I happened to have an English degree but there was NO experience required), earned almost nothing & had no benefits etc, but had the title and had to wear dressy clothes...people talked to me like I was a lawyer myself and with tons of "respect". Ugh.
  • SinistrousSinistrous Posts: 5,608Member Member Posts: 5,608Member Member
    Yes. My ex's father. He can go frack himself with a broomstick. Long long time ago.
  • GothyFaeryGothyFaery Posts: 772Member Member Posts: 772Member Member
    It happens a lot but the best time was when my husband and I were in Vegas. We were sitting together playing three card poker (with his money). He got up to go to the bathroom and told me to just play until he got back. As soon as he walked away the pit boss came over and put his hand on my shoulder and said "Don't worry, honey. If you need help playing, just let me know and I'll explain it to you."

Little did he know that I had been telling my husband how to play the whole time we were there. By the time my hubby got back, I had won over $300 in about 5 minutes. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I can't play poker! I don't remember a time when I couldn't play.
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    It happens a lot but the best time was when my husband and I were in Vegas. We were sitting together playing three card poker (with his money). He got up to go to the bathroom and told me to just play until he got back. As soon as he walked away the pit boss came over and put his hand on my shoulder and said "Don't worry, honey. If you need help playing, just let me know and I'll explain it to you."

Little did he know that I had been telling my husband how to play the whole time we were there. By the time my hubby got back, I had won over $300 in about 5 minutes. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I can't play poker! I don't remember a time when I couldn't play.

He was hitting on you lol.. He waited until your bodyguard left to come bug you. I would have sued xD
  • GothyFaeryGothyFaery Posts: 772Member Member Posts: 772Member Member
    Sinistrous wrote: »

He was hitting on you lol.. He waited until your bodyguard left to come bug you. I would have sued xD

Nah, it was before I lost my weight. No one ever hit on me... come to think of it, not very many people hit on me now either. I've been told I look "unapproachable" whatever that means.
    Sinistrous wrote: »

Nah, it was before I lost my weight. No one ever hit on me... come to think of it, not very many people hit on me now either. I've been told I look "unapproachable" whatever that means.
    Could have still sued D:
  • AllOutof_BubblegumAllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,666Member Member Posts: 3,666Member Member
    Nothing as extreme as OP's stories, but I suffer from a terrible case of Resting *kitten* Face, in which I always look pissed and unapproachable, unless actively smiling. I actually have never made any friends that I didn't previously work with, go to school with, or otherwise be in a situation that forced them to get to know me in order for them to realize that I was not, in fact, going to rip their heads off if they spoke to me.

It kinda sucks, but in the end I've noticed that it tends to weed out weak people that I probably would never have gotten along with very well in the first place, so it sort of works out. It's a real *kitten* for first impressions, though.
  • seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 9,919Member Member Posts: 9,919Member Member
    Nothing as extreme as OP's stories, but I suffer from a terrible case of Resting *kitten* Face, in which I always look pissed and unapproachable, unless actively smiling. I actually have never made any friends that I didn't previously work with, go to school with, or otherwise be in a situation that forced them to get to know me in order for them to realize that I was not, in fact, going to rip their heads off if they spoke to me.

It kinda sucks, but in the end I've noticed that it tends to weed out weak people that I probably would never have gotten along with very well in the first place, so it sort of works out. It's a real *kitten* for first impressions, though.

my husband suffers from RBF. Blessing & curse if you ask me. I'm the other way around so everyone thinks I'm interested in hearing about their (insert boring topic)

• TheRoadDogTheRoadDog Posts: 11,863Member Member Posts: 11,863Member Member
    Here's another example. I worked as a Bodyguard in the 80's. I had a friend named Bill. Bill and I studied Martial Arts together. When it was necessary to have two bodyguards and/or security jobs we worked together. We were in the Marines together. We rode together. Bill is about 5'7". 165 lbs. Blond hair. Blue eyes. On more than one occasion, when working security people would steer clear of me and hassle Bill. Purely based on our looks. Which was funny. I've never been able to approach Bill's expertise in any Martial Art or match him at the range with pistol or rifle.
  • TheRoadDogTheRoadDog Posts: 11,863Member Member Posts: 11,863Member Member
    Last example. This is the good side of being judged on appearance. I have three beautiful daughters and I have never had any problem intimidating teenage boys.
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Last example. This is the good side of being judged on appearance. I have three beautiful daughters and I have never had any problem intimidating teenage boys.

Monkey_2e9366_1193983.gif
  • FabulousFantasticFiftyFabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 172,762Member Member Posts: 172,762Member Member
    It's funny when I go into Home Depot which is usually on a Sunday before Church so I'm all Dolled up in my Dresses and Heels shopping for building supplies. I am a Home Renovator and can do a lot of things from Carpentry to Plumbing and Wiring but it never fails that I'll get at least three different Guys at the store ask me what they can help me find, and if I start filling my cart with supplies let's say Plumbing for example... they assume that I don't know what I'm doing and try to school me! :confounded:
  • moya_blehmoya_bleh Posts: 1,337Member Member Posts: 1,337Member Member
    My whole life! Mainly for my face and the fact that I'm only 5ft 8 (being under 6ft is a crime in the dating world these days) In fact, I've been left so disillusioned by judgement on my appearance that I now suffer from social anxiety and I've had to ask in the gym about getting 'extra help' to get me a body that women might approve of. Damn these genetics!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_wavessunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,773Member Member Posts: 2,773Member Member
    It's why I despise shopping in places like "Home Depot." They're like tigers waiting to pounce on the "dumb blonde." The last time I went there, a sales dude called out, "Excuse me miss? Are you lost?" WTHF? I've never been back there.
  • bouchienetbouchienet Posts: 118Member Member Posts: 118Member Member
    Nothing major in my case but people think I'm quiet and shy but you know what they say about the quiet ones hahaha
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_wavessunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,773Member Member Posts: 2,773Member Member
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    My whole life! Mainly for my face and the fact that I'm only 5ft 8 (being under 6ft is a crime in the dating world these days) In fact, I've been left so disillusioned by judgement on my appearance that I now suffer from social anxiety and I've had to ask in the gym about getting 'extra help' to get me a body that women might approve of. Damn these genetics!

5'8" is perfect IMO. Anything over 6' is a waste.
  • AzexasAzexas Posts: 4,340Member Member Posts: 4,340Member Member
    Nothing too extreme in my case but one of the ladies I volunteer with told me I looked too much like an "all-American girl" to have tattoos and listen to metal. Wasn't really sure what she meant. Maybe its because I'm blond. Who knows lol.