Broke and over weight...

14567810»

Replies

• txteachermom
    txteachermom Posts: 83 Member
    I know that I can't be the only one here with this problem, or maybe I am and I hoping to have a pity party. Is there anyone else here who lives paycheck to paycheck and barely making ends meet? I've tried more then a few times to buy only the healthiest of options at the grocery store (within reason of my budget of course) fresh veggies, avoided processed/canned anything really, etc., but I swear each time I nearly break my bank in doing so. On top of that I had to give up my gym membership which is sad considering that it's only $10 a month but with my rent going up it's just no longer in my budget anymore (sad I know).a What I'm in search for is someone who is in the same boat I am but somehow makes it work! I want to be able to pick peoples brains on this one. What meals do you plan for during your week? How do you fit in exercise into a busy schedule?
    I would really love some feedback. Thanks for your time!

I am a teacher and my husband is unemployed and we totally live paycheck to paycheck right now. The good news is, your body doesn't know how much money you have. Weight loss is simple science. If you eat at a caloric deficit you will lose weight, period. That means you will lose weight regardless of if your diet is filled with cheap food or caviar. My diary is open and you are welcome to look at it. We eat lots of cheap pasta meals, pizza, things that don't cost a lot of money for the most part. As far as healthy options, why don't you try buying some fresh fruit (apples, bananas, kiwi), and buying frozen veggies? They tend to be pretty inexpensive.

Another thing you can do for weight loss that costs no money is to MOVE more. I use a Fitbit that I got for Christmas, but you can use a free pedometer app on your phone to track your steps. Set goals for yourself and celebrate passing those goals. YouTube also has a lot of great videos, for zumba, walking, anything!

Money or no money, you CAN do this if you set your mind to it.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Not the season, but if you have any outdoor space, plan for a small garden. Go to the library now to read up & by spring you'll be ready. There is nothing better than a home grown tomato & you can't beat the price.
  • caseythelab
    caseythelab Posts: 25 Member
    One of my favorite sites (not all vegan or even vegetarian) is Poor Girl Eats Well. Check it out and good luck to you.
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    I have not heard of Food Share, is that like a food pantry of sorts?

No, it's a financial assistance program through the state. I guess it's kind of like food stamps. If you qualify, they give you so much money per month for food. I'm not 100% sure of the requirements, but I think you can apply online at http://access.wi.gov
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'm frozen out of locally grown right now, too, OP, but come spring, look around for local CSA farms. My CSA always offers a few "work shares" which means that in exchange for staffing share pickup hours, several people are given a free share in the CSA. (Which is about $500 for 20 weeks here, and includes a pretty large share...in the heaviest harvest times more than you could eat in a week, so save freezer space or learn to can/dehydrate food!) Field workshares are available, too, which means you get to exercise in the fresh air and sunshine in exchange for free vegetables! Win/Win!

I agree with this! Our local CSA offers work shares, and they also have a hardship program, in which people who can afford donate so those who can't afford have access. I plan on signing up for ours this spring.