Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hi Debora, just popped in to say that Dan and I are caught up watching the news about all the rioting and violence so I don't want to take the time to post right now. Hope you and Ralph and your families are safe. We are fine so far. I'll read your post and write more as soon as I can. Stay safe.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Hi Isabella and Sheryl,
    This has been an ordinary week. I did my usual walking. After walking, I was home the rest of the day on Monday and all of Tuesday. I keep working on things here but it doesn’t happen fast. We finished off the meatloaf and some chili that had been in the freezer. I at least know what’s there now so when there’s a day I need to make something, I have some ideas in the back of my mind.

Wednesday was Bible study. One of the women has a friend she visits every Tuesday evening. Last Tuesday was the last time. She had been texting her but no answer. When she got to her place, no answer so she went to a neighbor who had a key and she went in and found her friend dead. Whta a shock. She hadn’t been ill. I don’t know if they have figured out what happened but instead of visiting her friend, she had to hill in a police report.

Thursday I worked with my friend. We are going to start Sunday School up on the 14th so we worked on our SS material. Friday we went to town – we are back to going every week. I didn’t hae a long list so we were home by 10:30. Ralph had to run the ac when he waited in the car cause it was a warm day.

Today I’ve finished straightened what I didn’t do yesterday – should have done it two weeks ago and could have enjoyed it longer but oh well. I’m in the process of making the rolls and have a watermelon to cut up. We are having salsa chicken over rice.

I’m still working with a very slow computer. Everything seems to point to my chrome but that’s what I like using. I did find out it needed an update. The next thing is to uninstall and reinstall it but haven’t googled to see if that’s something I could do or now. Sure don’t want to lose it.

Just had a disagreement with hubby over the things in the upstairs freezer. He wants everything to be flat so his fake ice cubes don’t fall out. I bought corn Friday for Sunday so stuck it where it fit. But I’ll watch that more. It’s not always easy when things are fitting in one area. But I’ll try. (and so minor in light of all going on in the world).

We are having Alan’s and Lori’s here tomorrow. They haven’t seen each other for 3 months. We won’t be social distanced but we are family and finally. They plan to quit having us sit every other pew next Sunday too but so far all has gone okay.

Sheryl, I miss you but know keeping up with John takes your time. Continuing to pray for you.

Isabella, watching the news right now is kind of sad. I can only take a little bit of it. If I didn’t turn on the TV, I wouldn’t know anything much was gong on out where are. But it does make me think. Some of my grandchildren are not white. How will it be for them someday?

Will go for now. Have a good week. Stay cool – even if it’s only inside.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning! Finally getting a chance to come and get caught up. Went to the farmer's market yesterday and got some honey and other veggies. Then went to Grocery Outlet and Sprouts for the rest of the shopping. Came home and did a couple loads of laundry then sat outside and read for the rest of the day. Made a frozen pizza for dinner then watched TV. We have been watching a new show called Beauty and the Baker. We really enjoy it but it went into hiatus already so watched the season finale last night. Not much on right now so we'll either watch a lot of movies or check to see if there is anything interesting on demand. We are supposed to have hot weather in the 90's this coming week. Ugh!

Not watching the news so much now. Can't believe the protests are still going on. I think many of the people out there just want to be out of their homes instead of having to be quarantined. At least they seem peaceful for the most part now. I really feel for the local law enforcement. Most are good cops and they can't seem to do anything right if the media is to be believed. I also feel for all the businesses who are impacted once again - Finally able to start to open up only to be shut down in fear of violence and looting. What a crazy world.

More businesses are going to be allowed to start opening up this week with limitations and restrictions. My church started in person services today but you had to register on line and they could only have 100 people per service, at proper distance, masks on, and no singing. I decided not to go. I will wait awhile and hopefully things will be a little more relaxed soon. A co-worker and I went to lunch on Friday for her birthday. It was nice to be able to eat out.

Debora, sounds like you've had some mixed weeks - some pretty busy and some not as bad. I bet it felt good to have the freezer defrosted. I recently re-arranged mine as well so I'd know what was in there. Nice that you'll be able to have a family gathering again today. It will be wonderful. Very sad that your friend went to check on her friend and found her dead. That would be horrible. Are you experiencing any meat shortages there at all? A couple of weeks ago some of the local restaurants were short on beef which I found surprising. Jersey Mike's wasn't serving beef sandwiches at all and a local taco shop is charging more for their carne asada due to the beef shortage. I don't know if that has changed by now or not.

Well, I'm going to take advantage of our last cool day for a while and go sit outside and read.

Have a blessed week and stay well!
  • Judyelaine1952
    Judyelaine1952 Posts: 25 Member
    arobed53 wrote: »
    Good evening, it's been a full day. Headed out before 7. I rode with three other women to the funeral (about 2 hours away). We had a good time visiting both directions. Funerals are never easy but he circumstances made this one hard but they put the focus on the many good things he did. One blessing is they were able to donate to 21 people. We all got to give Betty a hug and then we headed back home. When we got back to town, I made a Dillons run to get ingredients for a recipe to try out at Lori's on Wednesday. Most of the things were on sale which was nice. I got home about 3:30.
    When I got home, I folded a load of laundry, got my 5000 steps in circling the kitchen table in spurts, made split pea and ham soup for the first time and have a list made for tomorrow. I'll be home in the morning and will go to Good News Club in the afternoon.

Sheryl, at least you know the geese noise won't last too long. Glad you got out for a drive and had a good time. It's easier to cook a big regular meal when you're home longer.
    Great job on doing a mile. What do you think of starting an exercise post? I'll start it and you let me know what you think. Good idea to stick with the one. And if you want to stick with the one mile at a time for awhile, you can go to the plan your own workout and just choose one of the colors at a time and you have 5 different miles to do. But your way will work too. Just do what's best for you. You'll soon be outdoing me.

Marcie, quiet and uneventful sounds very nice for you. Wow, there are 15 different kinds of beans. I'm am slowly but surely working away at things I have bought in the past and trying to use things up. I'm glad your dad enjoys what he's using and it's working for him - pretty high praise to say it's good competition for NM. I'm surprised he didn't just come here since you were here.
    How sad for the co-worker and to find out in that way. Hope it doesn't add too much to your workload.
    Glad he's feeling good again and back to doing all her was.
    Several had the apple raspberry crisp with ice cream. So now I'll have to have other desserts good with ice cream to use up what's left. I see brownie sundaes on the agenda soon.

Have a great Tuesday.

• Judyelaine1952
    Judyelaine1952 Posts: 25 Member
    Elaine here....dropped by and no one is home. Turned up the AC and put out some iced tea. Stay safe!
  • isyvanek
    Hi Elaine! Great to see you dropped by! You look great! Thanks, the iced tea was delicious! We usually only drop in about once a week now. Usually only 2 of us left and Sheryl drops in once in a while. Hope you stop in more often.

Not much new here. Temps have been much nicer last couple of days. I plan to shop at Trader Joe's and Sprouts today. I'll probably sit outside and read later also. I'll probably do my "chores" tomorrow. Maybe we'll get something to eat out later. If not, I'll cook chicken breasts or maybe get a rotisserie chicken. Then watch a movie. Dan has been very upset lately. Don't know how to help him. I listen and pray.

Debora, hope your week will be a bit more relaxing. I totally know what you mean about having a disagreement with your hubby over what seems to be pretty minor. We've been having those as well. As you say I will try to do better.

Well, I put out a fresh pitcher of iced tea. Enjoy! :) I'm going to get ready to go to shopping. Have a great week!
  • arobed53
    Hi Elaine, thanks for turning up the ac. It’s certainly gotten a lot warmer. Not sure why a very old post of mine popped up with your picture. Isabella and I are about the only ones who pop in and out anymore and it’s usually on the weekend sometime. It’s nothing like the days of NM. Still miss them but I have started logging my food on conometer and have actually managed to lose a few pounds but all I do there is log. It does connect with my fitbit so that nice.

Isabella, I would hear less news if it was just me but Ralph watches a lot of it – fast forwards though a lot too so just catch the highlights. I imagine you did you usual shopping today. There aren’t many shows on. I’ve been watching some of the shows like the Titans and can always go back to watch Andy Griffith, Hazel and the older shows. We had a mostly warm week here too – there was one nice cool day which we all enjoyed.

Alan brought over the lawnmower today so the lawn looks really nice again. The one corner where water stands had finally dried out so he plowed through it too. I’ve done the usual Saturday things like straighten – even vacuumed and mopped a little. I baked rolls and brownies and made a blueberry jello. In a little while I’ll start the pork tenderloin. I got the second one from a different place so not sure how they are going to fit in the crockpot. But I’ll figure something out.
    I have not noticed meat shortages lately but I haven’t needed to buy much since I was using what I have. We have a couple of local meat cutters and they have been working extra long hours. I imagine prices are up but still got a good buy on the chicken last week.
    This week was pretty normal – Bible study, worked with friend and town on Friday.
    Your church has more restrictions than ours. In fact tomorrow we are back to how it was before all the Covid 19 started. We won’t have every other pew marked off, very few wear masks, we do sing and tomorrow we start Sunday School again and the nursery will be open. I’m teaching in the 2 year old class and will be in the nursery and after church will meet to help plan a bridal shower. I also have the chart for people to sign to do meal for married Bible School teachers. We are aiming to have it June 29-July 3. We still live stream the service for those that can’t come and for those that aren’t ready.
    Last Sunday we had both Alans and Lori’s here – they had not seen each other since all started either and they are both coming tomorrow too.
    We still wear masks when we go shopping. You hear everything on both sides of things as to what we need to do. I certainly don’t want numbers to go up but it has been nice to do a little more.
  • arobed53
    Oh yeah, I don't know if I've mentioned how slow my computer had gotten - always getting page unresponisve messages. So I was googleing to see if I could do anything myself. I called our internet company and learned that it was the internet. One place said to uninstall and reinstall chrome and I was nervous to try that. Finally one place talked about deleting cookies. And I thought I had done that before so thought I'd try it. I finally figured out what the "hamburger" was and followed the directions. And wow, what a difference. I have to put int he passwords again but it is like a new computer now and I put up with it for several weeks. I was about ready to take it in so this made me very happy. Also opened the computer and got the dust out - don't want to ruin another one (although I've never really cleaned them out and never had that happen before and also cut Ralph's hair. I have an appointment for next Wednesday to get mine done.
  • arobed53
    Will pop in and say "hi". Sheryl, hope you are doing okay.
    Week was pretty much like the last several. Our Ext. Office did decide how the fair would be held - the kids will get conference but not will stay to be exhibited. Livestock shows will be held and then the livestock will go home - not stay the night. It will be different but what isn't different this year. The whole family is coming tomorrow (first time in three months). Will celebrate 4 April birthdays and 2 June birthdays and recognize the fathers with candy. :) Will do hamburgers (indoor grills). Cut up two watermelons. Have to remember to have someone carry the table down tomorrow that I carried up. That's a huge help. Enjoy your week.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning! Took Friday off and am having a very nice weekend! We went to dinner Friday at a local restaurant called Mainstream. It was REALLY nice to get out and feel some small sense of normalcy. We very much enjoyed ourselves and our meals. Saturday I met Jami at the mall and we did some girltime shopping. She is having a major family issue and needs the support more than ever. Went to Macy's and JC Penney. Had to wear masks the whole time but it was VERY nice to spend the girltime together and we got some great deals too. :) Went to Sprouts on my way home to finish up my grocery shopping and picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner. Haven't done that in a long time. Had about half left over so I guess we are eating less which is really good. Planning on making burgers for dinner tomorrow so we will be having the same meal as you. :)

Debora, pretty much the same with Dan and I as far as the news. He puts it on and flips thru the different channels to see what they are saying but mutes it a great deal of the time. We listened to part of president Trump's Oklahoma rally. Thought it was actually pretty good. I bet it will be really nice to have the whole family together again tomorrow for father's day. What is a "hamburger" as far as computers are concerned? I've heard of cookies but not hamburgers. Glad you were able to fix the slowness of your computer all on your own. You should be VERY proud!! And saved money too. Very much a big win! Did you ever figure out your spreadsheet?

Well I'm going to go and listen to my church service now. Have a wonderful weekend!
  • isyvanek
    Hello! We're finally having June weather. Cloudy in the morning then sunny starting around 11am. We call it June gloom. It has been in the low to mid 80's this week. Weather report says high 70's to low 80's next week. Might even get a bit of rain on Monday. We'll see. Did my grocery shopping at Baron's and Jimbo's today. Bought several meats and a nice piece of Norwegian Salmon (never had Norwegian salmon before as far as I know) along with the veggies at Baron's so it came to around $100. Groceries are definitely getting more expensive. Now I can relax and putter for the rest of the day. We will have hot dogs and mac & cheese for dinner tonight. They are Boarshead hotdogs so they are very expensive but are really good. We deserve a treat every now and then. We'll have the salmon for dinner tomorrow. I finally got my teeth cleaning this Thursday. The hygienist said I did a really good job taking care of them. There is one molar that is getting worn so they are going to keep an eye on it. I told them well, it is old! ;) I really like my hygienist Lori! She is really nice. We always swap recipes and discuss our favorite authors. My next appointment is in January. Now if only I could get in for a physical!

Had some very sad news this week. One of our co-workers Jay (a sales guy) killed himself Tuesday evening. I'd known him ever since I started this job 18 years ago. He left behind a wife and 4 young children. He was an alcoholic (we didn't know that until recently) but he had checked himself into rehab about 6-8 months ago after his wife kicked him out and it seemed he had turned a corner. I can't help but think the lockdown had something to do with it. Even though he had a close family and good support, it doesn't do much good if you can't see them. Saddest part is I don't think he knew the Lord. :'(

Then my brother is still having pain in his abdomen which the doctors can't seem to resolve. Poor guy - the city finally decided to replace the sidewalk in front of his house. First the contractor didn't really build a proper driveway opening where his driveway is but told him it is no big deal because it is a lower curb and he'll be able to drive over it. Then he discovered he had no gas when his boiler stopped working so he called the gas company and come to find out the contractor who built the sidewalk broke the gas pipe leading to my brother's house! They were there from 7pm to 6am repairing it. So no sleep for Joe last night. They said they'll be sending the sidewalk contractor a bill! Good because he was such a jerk to my brother!!! I know, not a very Christian attitude. Sorry!

Ok, going to close and go sit outside. Have a blessed week. Please keep my brother Joe and Jay's family in your prayers. Thanks!!
  • arobed53
    Isabella, my heart dropped when I heard abut the man from your workplace. How very very sad. I appreciate the update on your brother. I was thinking about asking about him. Will continue to pray.

It was wonderful to have the whole family over. Crazy but fun.
    Turned out the hamburger was the three dots up on the right side. So I don’t know how it got it’s name. Sometimes I can figure things out. I try before we take something in.

We are In the middle of our Bible School week. There are around 180 kids attending and having a wonderful time learning about Jonah. The decorations are great. I’m enojoying the skit and the week is going fast. 7 of our grandkids are staying here most of the week. We did take them home yesterday because we had appointments made months ago and Bible school was to be earlier then. So we got to meet our new cardiologist. We liked him. Ralph has to watch his blood pressure for a couple weeks to see if his meds need to be adjusted. The doctor would like me to do a stress test. Ralph thinks I should do it to check it out since medicare will pay for it.

We’ve done easy meals this week. Daughter-in-law Lindsey sent 4 meals. We had the mini pancakes tonight – all 88 pancakes are gone. Quite a vew sausages were eaten too. Breakfast is the meal they eat the least at – but may not be awake enough but they made it to noon. We eat in the dining room at one table cause we’re too many for the kitchen table. Today I got out the duplos and legos and they were a hit. Jeremiah (15) has a game deal and two of the girls love playing games with him. We got out the beat up tonka trucks and put on the sprinkler. I might make play do tomorrow (I did). Our youngest son had the kids over for about 3 hours tonight so we had a break. Although I had Lucy all morning and will tomorrow as she’s here for boot camp now. The fridge is very full with leftovers but it’s easier to serve just one meal. I’ll have the kids till the program tomorrow night. Derek and Lindsey are coming early to get the kids stuff and said they would bring pizza. No complaints on that.

Our County Fair is happening but it will be way different. Livestock will be shown on the day of the show and then go home. None will stay overnight. Inside exhibits will come and be judged and taken back home. Judging will be done at the table sthe long way and if someone doesn’t feel comfortable – they can probably do it virtually. Our county has only had 60 cases over this whole time.

Church is back to meeting how it was. Very few masks. We did at first and quit but Ralph says he will be wearing a mask anytime he’s out now. Would love to go to my niece’s graduation but too many cases and not enough tickets to attend and not activity afterwards. Just everything is so different. I really hope schools will be able to be done in person. Kansas governor mandated masks but a number of counties have just made it a recommendation. Fine as long as the numbers stay low. I wish they could figure out where the increases are coming from.

We are planning to have our July 4-H meeting in person – it’s our tour so outside so we can social distance for the most part and everyone will bring sack lunches and not share food. I get tired of hearing arguments for and against masks. I’ll give people the freedom to choose what to do. We are possibly going to be in a clinical trial for one of the vaccines under development.

I think I’m rattling along so will close and get this posted so you can know I’m alive and well.
  • isyvanek
    Happy 4th of July! Our temps are in the mid to high 80's this week. I did my usual grocery shopping today except Trader Joe's was closed for the holiday so I went to Ralph's (Kroeger) instead. I'm going to make hamburgers and coleslaw for dinner tonight in honor of the 4th. Other than that, Dan and I aren't going to do anything special. The town next to us is having a fireworks display tonight but people will have to stay in their cars to watch them. Since we can usually walk out our front door each year to see fireworks we don't feel the need to go somewhere and deal with all the traffic in order to see them. We can wait until next year. Our president gave a great speach last night at Mount Rushmore. Very moving.

Hi Debora! Great to hear from you! Sounds like the family gathering was wonderful and having 7 of the grandkids there sounds like it went really well too. How fun and I bet they loved it! I too am tired of hearing about the mask discussion and agree with you that each person should have the freedom to choose what to do. Wonderful that your church is back to normal. I look forward to the day that mine is and will continue to watch the service on line for now. Thanks very much for continuing to pray for my brother Joe.

Well, I'm going to go read my book. It is finally getting interesting. Have a wonderful blessed week!
  • arobed53
    Hello Isabella, Hamburgers and cole slaw sounds good. We are working on leftovers so meals are very easy. Exciting whenever I finish off a container. Doesn't take a lot to excite me. We had a situation come up. Friday our oldest son learned the baseball player had been with someone who had tested positive. Friday a lot of places were closed but they fond a place that could test him. It was a two hour turn around and they said he would hear by 5 if he was positive and if he heard nothing he was negative. Seemed silly they wouldn't all either way but ok. Their player had ridden in a car with another player who tested because his girlfriend's sister had tested positive - always a chain to follow. We were planning to keep the kids longer if he had a positive test. No call by 5 so Derek's brought pizza out, we ate, loaded the kids stuff and went to the Bible School program. The baseball player went on to his game. This morning he gets a call saying he is positive. They said they had called the night before -at 7 but that was during the game and no message was left. So, the player is now spending 10 days in his bedroom. They will take meals down to him. No one will go down in the basement. But now Derek and Lindsey feel they should get tested. So we did run some things to church last night and picked up a prescription (our odds are very low) but felt we should not go to church today. And today they had trouble with the livestream but we finally got to hear three of the testimonies and the sermon.

I was supposed to help with a bridal shower this afternoon and missed it. And we could go to a visitation this evening. This is a God thing in a way. A man's children were all coming this weekend for an early 95th birthday celebration. And he passed away Friday morning. So since everyone was on the way, they did a quick funeral planning and the service is tomorrow. Usually for a funeral everyone has to make quick plans and here they had plans to come.

So we are staying close to home until they get tested. And I would have kept the kids but it's nice to have just two of us again. This coming week there are some activities. Hopefully, we can do them.

Please pray they test negative cause Lindsey is also working on getting Deacon into a special asthma study in Colorado.

Have a good week.
  • isyvanek
    Temps are in the 90's this week but will go down to mid to high 80's after tomorrow. Did my grocery shopping early to beat the heat. Went to Trader Joe's and Baron's. Had a hair appt at 2pm which went well. She didn't do quite as good a cut as last time but it's OK. Stopped at Dollartree afterward and got a bunch of greeting cards. They were 50 cents each. Then picked up subs at Jersey Mike's for dinner. Finished my book. Had a nice quite evening after that. Today I watched my church service, worked on Dan's jigsaw puzzle a bit, had breakfast and am now here. :)

Debora, how disconcerting to have your family waiting for test results. I am praying for you all. My brother also got tested before they would give him an endoscopy. He was negative. Glad everything worked out with the family that was coming out to celebrate the man's 95th birthday. Sad that he passed but a blessing that they were all gathering anyway and will be able to have a celebration of his life.

Take care and have a blessed week.
  • arobed53
    Guess I should have stopped earlier. The kids all got tested on Monday and all were negative. Charles is still in his room. Derek's will stay home another week just to be sure but have developed are routine and handling it well.

It worked out very well for the funeral for the man. He had a lot of kids so many might not have been able to come on short notice. The obituary said he had 50 grandchildren and 125 great-children (and more on the way). I think we are a big group at 24 - ha - that's nothing.

Week here was much quieter. I went to Bible study, and worked with friend as usual. Our women's group at church met for the first time since everything happened. It was so nice to be together and the last minute speaker was very interesting. Friday we did our usual shopping. We usually buy a sub at Walmart. They didn't have any this week. So we had learned the McDonalds in this town now had in=house dining so we ate a little earlier. We felt very safe. Not many people in there. Tables well marked. Workers with masks. And a good meal.

Just Lori's were here today but didn't find out about Alan's till last night so have leftovers but that's okay. Will have spaghetti till the noodles I cooked are gone and then can freezer the sauce. Lori brought us fruit. They were given three produce boxes when the kids picked up lunches on Wednesday so we are stocked on oranges and some kind of pair. Got two grapefruit - haven't had one of those in years. Ralph used to take a medicine and grapefruit was something you weren't to have so quit getting it.

Tomorrow night is our 4-H tour. First time we will have been able to be together since March. Then our County Fair is next week. It's been held in very different formats so will have a much different feel but it is happening.

Our weather has been about the same. Mornings have been cooler this week and got a little rain some of the mornings which is much needed. I continue to be thankful I get to be inside as much as I am.

Going to go in and help Lori one afternoon this week. She said they got a new recliner. Ralph has where. She said Jim passed on his run tow days to they decided to go get it. Can't figure out why the family got rid of it. :)

Have a great week.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning! Took Friday off again to use up some vacation time. It has been so busy with all the insurance renewals that I had to work overtime all week just to get caught up enough to be gone a day. It will be nice to have the extra money in the paycheck though. They are not allowing much overtime lately so it was nice to have the extra money. I just puttered around on Friday then Dan treated me to some sushi. We haven't had sushi in a long time. We ordered it then went to pick it up instead of eating outside. It was expensive but very good. Our Governor has once again suspended all indoor dining, church, hair and nail salons, gyms, etc. Heavy sigh!!! :s Thank goodness our mayor has good sense and quickly passed an executive order to allow restaurants to set up tables outside in their parking lot or on the sidewalk so restaurants would still be able to have some business otherwise they would have really been in big trouble after they just spent all that money on food, etc since they were told indoor dining was allowed only to be shut down again a week later. I really appreciate our mayor! We stayed up late and talked and watched TV.

Saturday I slept late since we were up late. Then I shopped at 4 different stores! I went to Trader Joe's, Jimbo's, Ralph's then Sprouts. Got lots of good stuff. Then I baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. We had feta and spinach turkey burgers from Sprouts that my co-worker said were really good. They were OK but I am not a big fan of ground turkey anyway so I didn't think they were anything amazing and probably won't get them again. But I've been trying new things so it was worth a try. We watched an old 40's movie called "the Opposite Sex" which was star studded. Joan Collins, Ann Sheridan, June Allyson, Anne Miller, Leslie Nielson, Agnes Moorehead. Very enjoyable.

Today I watched my church service. They had a guest speaker from Chicago (gee, wonder why he came here?!). Message was "Have hope in the midst of your circumstances" because God has your circumstances surrounded. 2 Kings 6:17. Then we had cereal for breakfast and now I'm here. I am going to Jami's at 11:00. We are going to paint our toes and watch a chick flick. It will be nice to see her.

Debora, sounds like you had a great week! I am SO happy that the kids all tested negative. I didn't really understand about the recliner. Are you saying that a family put a recliner out on the sidewalk for anyone to take so Lori and Jim went and got it? Sounds like it was a nice one. My co-worker gave me a recipe that you may want to try with your group if looking for some fun food. He took the Jiffy cornbread mix added a couple of things to it then poured into mini muffin tins and put a piece of hotdog in the middle of each to make corndog muffins. I bought the jiffy mix this week and will probably make them on Friday. I'll let you know how they turn out. If you want the recipe I will email it to you. Let me know.

God bless and Have a great week!!!
  • arobed53
    Hi, we just finished our County Fair last Wednesday. It was held way differently but it was still live and not a virtual show. Livestock shows happened but the animal was brought the day of the show and then sold at base bed or taken back home. They took pictures of the animals that were going to sell and showed them with the 4-Hers beside the picture the night of the sale. The still had the meal but you picked up a lunch sack with your sandwich, chips and a container of BBQ sauce in it. Then they had bottles of water instead of cups of water and tea. Inside exhibits were brought, did conference judging and then taken home. Some area had sign up for time so there were not a lot of people in the building at any one time (people liked that). So you visited with some people but not like you did other years. Masks were required in the air conditioned rooms and recommended in the other. I helped with the crochet/knitting and sadly there were only 4 exhibitors and 7 items. My three grandchildren did loom knitting and had 6 of the items and took grand and reserve.

We had our Missions Conference last week too so it was nice that the fair did not use the evenings so I could go to the conference too. The speaker was very interesting and we always get to hear from some of our missionaries too.

Baseball player that stayed at Derek’s went home. When it came time to get his two negative tests, he was unable to get even one. So the season was getting close to over so his mother flew up from Houston and took him home. So the family is now out of quarantine and back in the basement. They all stayed well.

However, I do have a son in the hospital with a bowel obstruction in the small intestine. It started hurting Thursday and was not getting better and he wouldn’t drink. They called to late to get him in at the doctor so Katie asked me to take him to the ER. At first they thought it was his appendix but a scan showed it was the small intestine. They kept him to monitor it. We later learned Katie could be with him so her mom came up and is staying with the kids. If it doesn’t resolve by Monday, he will probably end up having surgery so we are praying it will do that. His former hired man has moved back up here and is working for another guy and is doing the chores for him.

Our oldest is on vacation in Colorado. Most of the kids had not seen the mountains before. I haven’t heard if the things they want to do are open. I hope so. She said it was still good to get away.

Isabella, how fun to have to work overtime to get a day off. Our one son-in-law misses working overtime but they have enough furloughed it wouldn’t be right. I think it’s good for him to slow down. He now works 4 ten hour days and than has 3 days off.
    Oh my, I hope the move backwards with the gyms and hair salons doesn’t last long. WE have rising cases but things that have opened are still open. I ate at McDonald’s a couple of times during the fair and we got ice cream the last night.
    You always have a good time with Jamie and your and Dan enjoy your time together.
    Yes, someone set a recliner out on their curb cause they didn’t want it. It looks very nice to me. I got to see it when I went it to help Lori while most of the kids were at camp. Ralph enjoyed the nap he took in it.
    How were the jiffy dogs?

Enjoy your upcoming week.
  • isyvanek
    Hi! The temps have been very nice this week. Low to mid 80's. A tad more humid than usual but nothing like the East coast so I'm not complaining (much!). ;) Went to the farmer's market Saturday morning. All I bought was honey, figs, and mix of green and yellow and italian flat beans. Then my usual Trader Joe's and Sprouts. I didn't buy much at any store though. I just wasn't very inspired. Not sure what I'm going to make for evening meals this coming week. Probably sandwiches at least once or twice since it is expected to warm up a bit to the mid 80's to low 90's especially Thurs thru Saturday.

I got a call from a friend of my brother. Another deacon at the church. He is concerned about my brother and wanted to discuss it with me. He said he has noticed a personality change the last year or so and that my brother is declining. I told him that there is not much I can do from 3000 miles away and my husband is not up to having Joe move in with us (this is tough for me). But that Joe needs lots of personal interaction. He also told me that they were willing to come and clean up the house (my brother is a hoarder) and paint it, etc. so maybe Joe could rent out a room or something but my brother wouldn't agree to it. I would definitely love to see the place get cleaned out so I am going to work on my brother to see if I can get him to agree to that.

Jami had a gathering at her house Saturday afternoon. She invited Dan and I and 2 other couples we are all friends with. At first Dan was going to come but as the day wore on he got more anxious and decided not to go after all. I went but only stayed 3 hrs. Which was actually perfect. Jami's husband smoked ribs and grilled some chicken. There was also pasta salad, corn on the cob, garlic bread, chips and guacamole, cheese and crackers, and I brought the green salad. We all maintained social distance and it was nice to see everyone and chat.

When I got home Dan and I watched an old movie called The Mortal Storm with James Stewart and Margaret Sullivan and Robert Young. It was about Hitler coming into power and how everything suddenly changed. Very powerful.

Today I'm doing laundry and dusting. Then I will do my cooking for the week. Just a batch of sauteed mixed greens and some corn on the cob this time. I plan to make a pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes for dinner.

Debora, glad to hear the baseball player went home and things are somewhat back to normal. Sounds like the fair went well all things considered. I liked the jiffy dogs well enough - I put ketchup on them - but Dan HATED them. I will not be making those again. :( Proof once again that one man's trash is another man's treasure. So nice that Lori and Jim got a nice recliner to enjoy. God is good!

Have a blessed week!
  • arobed53
    Hello, another week has zoomed past. Ralph had a doctor’s appointment Tuesday. Other than wearing masks, it felt “normal”. I was able to go with him. There were signs to social distance. We’re supposed to buy a new blood pressure cuff – one that goes on the arm so need to work on that. Our doctor says it will be more accurate. What’s he’s been taking has jumped around a lot. Wednesday afternoon we did the prayer guide for our church in person – first time since February. The three of us also tied a quilt together. The one was making it for her oldest grandson – a denim quilt that used jeans from both his mom and dad (his dad was killed 12 years ago). She thought he would appreciate it more now. Today we went to a wedding. It was at our church but a much smaller crowd. The could are both German Mennonite background. I know the bride from Good News Club. We did not wear our masks. We’ll see if that was good our bad. Service was only about 30 minutes long and then we had a full meal so we ate early. But it was nice for those that had to drive a distance home. The bride’s dress was very pretty and modest. The flower girl almost stole the show. She walked down the aisle very slowly deliberating dropping petals. After the wedding she was stopping ot pick up the petals.
    Alan got to come home on Sunday, the kink resolved on its own. He felt okay and the ramily went camping Monday morning. They want to do some tests to see if they can figure out why it happened as his history has not had any problems. Very thankful he is okay.
    Tomorrow the whole family will be here. We will celebrate the 6 July birthdays. Ralph wondered if we needed to quarantine from our family that was in CO for vacation but I convinced it’s okay. They had to wear masks whenever outside and did a lot outdoor things.
    The rest of the week was filled with the normal stuff. This next week we are going to start a research study on one of the vaccines for the virus. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Isabella, our temps have been about like yours. We had a lot of rain to keep them that way. Three inches last Monday morning and anther inch or two during the week. The roads were never much affected but we still have water in the one area of our back yard. When Alan came and mowed, he left that area alone. So when Ralph goes out to do the chicken chores, he has to walk around by the driveway.
    So sorry to hear your brother is declining but nice that there are people willing to help. Yes, there is not much you can do but maybe between you and the deacon. If he needs personal interaction, the staying at home with all the covid has been hard on him too then.
    Your time at Jaime’s sounds nice and the food sounds delicious. Glad Dan was okay with you going. Three hours is pretty long especially when you are social distancing.

Tomorrow we’re having ham, angel hair pasta with herbs (a box deal that everyone likes), corn, vegetable, rolls, watermelon and of course, cake and ice cream. The watermelon didn’t seem like as much when I cut it up but hopefully, with all the different foods, everyone will get enough to eat.

Enjoy your week. Some of the grands start back to school in a couple of weeks and one family not till labor day. We’ll see how that all goes.