I want to eat more fish.

13»

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited January 2015
    This is very silly. If you don't like fish, don't eat it. Find foods that you like and eat those. Sheesh!

Good forbid someone should try to expand their palate.
  • I've been buying river cobbler so so similar to cod and 1/5th of the price
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    I tried Gordans grilled tilapia with garlic & butter today for the first time (Ive been wanting to re-try fish too) 2 in the box and 80 calories each. I'm still not crazy about fish... but it was tolerable
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2015
    Try cod. I usually curry or dill weed/lemon juice lightly poached. Cottage cheese or sweet potato and peas is a nice side. Healthy and fast.

I can never buy salmon or trout, have to catch fresh! Sockeye is OK frozen, but not trout :p sockeye, spring, or coho are best, imo. Steelhead and rainbow trout are nice. I wouldn't go near farmed fish, period.

Red Snapper is also nice, and the grilled mahi mahi on a beach in mexico is to die for!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    I'm not a big fish eater either, although I love shellfish. I've found that thinner white fish like flounder and talapia are much tastier to me, as they have very little flavor of their own so they basically taste like whatever seasoning you use.

My favorite is to sprinkle them lightly with Weber's Kickin' Chickin' seasoning (hot and spicy!) and then sprinkle lightly with flour mixed with cornstarch. I don't want a "breading" exactly, just a very thin coating that will get crisply when pan fried. Then I sautee them a couple minutes on each side until the outside is crisp and the inside flaky.

I also LOVE Mahi Mahi. It has moist giant flakes of flesh, and a very sweet, mild flavor. It's awesome grilled, as it will hold up better to turning on a hot grill than a lot of other fish. For that one, I usually marinate a few minutes in a citrus based sauce and then put on hot coals.

I also love whole red snapper. For that one I usually make a salt dome. First, stuff the fish with some herbs and lemon or lime slices, maybe rub a bit on the outside. Then about half a box of kosher salt with an egg (more or less, depending on the size of the fish). Put a little salt on a baking dish or cookie sheet bigger than the fish, lay the fish on it, and then pack the rest of the salt over and around it. You want the fish to be completely covered. Bake it until done (use a thermometer so you don't have to ruin it's beauty) and then take it out and put it right on the table. You serve by breaking open the now-hardened salt dome and then slicing the fish right off the bone. It will end up very moist and flavorful, and it has a lovely presentation if you have company.
  • m4ndela
    m4ndela Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Salmon tikka for something different? (& super easy)
    Coat salmon chunks in tandoori paste and fry. Eat with a yougurt/cucumber/lemon dip (I also add garlic nan bread)

If you eat prawns fry them with chillies, peppers, cajun spices and add cooked quinoa (bit like fried rice)

Also like cod/haddock (or similar) cooked in coconut milk. Stir in red thai curry paste and some veggies (mange tout is my fav) Id also add noodles but can be eaten with rice/quinoa
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Thanks for this thread. I love seafood of all types, but have never really cooked it at home. Now my ex-father-in-law has brought me a crazy amount of frozen salmon fillets from a fishing trip to Alaska, so I need to do something with them. Some good ideas here.
  • Salmon in foil with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice. Yummy.
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    My two favourite fish recipes are Mediterranean Fish Stew

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/711649/mediterranean-fish-stew-with-garlic-toasts

and Super Healthy Salmon Burgers

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7712/superhealthy-salmon-burgers

Both pretty easy to make. Both a little spicy, but you could leave the chili out of the Med Fish Stew. I generally leave the clams out too as they can be hard to source.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    I'm not really sure what to do with fish. I can only enjoy the "bake with just a bit of salt, lemon and oil" approach when it's super fresh (like when I'm on holiday somewhere people catch them that day, type of thing). Shellfish, fine in pasta or with wine. Smoked mackerel is nice on toast, fresh salmon in sushi or a bagel. Otherwise, I guess fried or breaded is the way I can stomach it, but not sure that's great for a diet. That's about it for me.

If you're ok with fried fish, check out Apollo Fish Fry recipes. (I haven't tried so can't recommend any particular recipes yet myself, but have enjoyed it when out.)
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    I just eat it raw with a little soy sauce and some wasabi. Throw in some rice if you want.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    I like Tilapia, it's a mild white fish so you will probably like it too. I add a small amount of olive oil to a hot frying pan and throw in my favorite herbs, then in goes the fish. Fast, simple, choose whatever herbs you like. For me it's garlic and rosemary and pepper, (I never add salt to any meat until after it is cooked). You'll know the meat is cooked when it is white all the way through, (just like chicken), and flaky.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    Another tip, Ocean fish are less fishy than Lake or River fish.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    This is very silly. If you don't like fish, don't eat it. Find foods that you like and eat those. Sheesh!

Good forbid someone should try to expand their palate.

i KNOW, right? if i were to eat only the foods my parents had offered me as a child, i'd still be stuck only with rice a roni, cheese mac, spaghetti, hamburger helper, pizza, and the occasional McDonalds. i'd never have any fruit other than apples and bananas. my veggies would be peas, carrots, string beans, and corn. my salads would consist of only iceburg lettuce, tomatoes, and a cucumber. i'd still be drinking kool-aid. my cakes would all be pepperidge farms. the only fish that would cross my lips would be canned tuna.

Everyone should learn to try new things!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I like to dredge lightly with flour or cornstarch, season with salt and pepper, then pan fry with a spritz of olive oil. Gives a nice crispy crust.

My mom uses a great asian technique of contact frying fish. Finely chop spring onions and ginger (small handful of each). Poach or microwave the fish. Place in a serving dish with a lip and cover with the herbs. Season with lemon juice, sake, soy sauce and a pinch of sugar. Heat up a quarter cup of vegetable oil as hot you can get it (smoking). At the table, carefully pour hot oil over the herb and seasoning mixture to blend the flavors. There will be a lot of dramatic sizzling.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Have you tried poaching fish? I've heard that some fish are good that way.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Please don't eat tilapia. They are nasty and taste like dirt. Oh and catfish is mcnasty funk, too.

Everything else, yummmmmmmmy.