Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    "I think it is time for me to be quiet now in this thread given that I'm still contemplating my short and long term goals. I realize I can't really ask for more advice since I'm not even sure what I really want at this point, and the message of how to bulk is pretty clear to me at this point. I know the essence of what needs to be done to bulk, and it's just a matter of me figuring out what I really want to do at this point.
    So, I will not complain anymore about my size or strength."

If it takes you this long to make a decision about whether or not to bulk then good luck with the rest of the decisions in your life. Since this thread has been created I've gained 10lbs BW along with increasing my deadlift by 100lbs, went from squatting nothing to 85lb front squat for four sets of 7 (recovering from a hip stress fracture), DB bench from 35lbs for 3 sets of 8 to 50lbs for three sets of 7, and pull-ups have gone from 12 in 5 minutes to 21. All the while OP has done nothing, what a surprise.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    And this thing's still going.

When it (inevitably) rolls, will it disappear off my notification list for ever?

Please, God. Make. It. Stop.

Yep still going. . . .so this thing gives you a notification EVERY time a new post hits. . . .hehehe. . . .options. . . .un--check the option and star the ones you want to follow. . .problem solved? Another option. . .have someone bomb the thread with personal attacks and a poop load of swearing. . . . more attacks, cat gifs, mention Gale Hawkins or Steven Hawkings and/or paleo sucks and you may get it shutdown

Right, so I've never heard of this Gale Hawkins chap (or chapette?).

But I am genuinely confused as why mentioning Stevie boy would get a thread shut down...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    And this thing's still going.

When it (inevitably) rolls, will it disappear off my notification list for ever?

Please, God. Make. It. Stop.

Yep still going. . . .so this thing gives you a notification EVERY time a new post hits. . . .hehehe. . . .options. . . .un--check the option and star the ones you want to follow. . .problem solved? Another option. . .have someone bomb the thread with personal attacks and a poop load of swearing. . . . more attacks, cat gifs, mention Gale Hawkins or Steven Hawkings and/or paleo sucks and you may get it shutdown

Right, so I've never heard of this Gale Hawkins chap (or chapette?).

But I am genuinely confused as why mentioning Stevie boy would get a thread shut down...

Oh no it wouldn't; it was the closest I came to rhyming with Mr Gale H. . . . he is a CEO of firm in Kentucky and someone in the MFP world has taken his identity as their own. . . .he usually brings a certain amount of disdain to a thread and it closes. . . .then again. . .this thread may die out. . . .

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you have tummy troubles, it might do to keep a list of foods that do/don't agree with you, unless you can straight up remember them all. I can tell you things that are high cal with good nutrition, but it's up to you to know which ones agree with you; I won't know that part.

Cheese has a lot of nutrition *and* a lot of calories. In your place I would be looking at some nice hearty homemade cheeseburgers (if it's affordable to you, grind up some sirloin. Yum!) and meals where the main dish is pasta with meat and cheese. Pasta is very calorie dense. Some vegetables are good with cheese sauce as well. If you use milk, get whole milk. Avocadoes are high in healthy fats; put them in your salads and sandwiches.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Okay well since you don't want to eat foods with high calories your only other option is to chug nutritional supplements that are in liquid form. ie. Boost Plus made by Nestle, highly recommended especially for you since you're extremely underweight. There is also protein powder which in itself has calories and should be consumed with something other than water!! There is also weight gainers, but I never really liked them. I should also recommend this powder called Karbolic, mix it with water or whatever (this is actually only good with water otherwise it will taste like pure crap). Karbolic has CARBS which YOU NEED!!!!

I don't know why you think you SHOULD NOT increase your carbs, because you should. If you were on the heavy side of your BMI, I'd say otherwise. Increase your carbs and fat! This can be healthy fat, salmon for example is a fatty type of fish and has ton of protein! I eat a lot tuna with mayo, that's great too! Oils are great, hell, eat a tablespoon of freakin olive oil every day, ton of fat there and healthy fat too! Point is you continue to make crazy excuses for not eating a lot, when there are many ways to do so. You should honestly just worry about gaining weight period. Don't do an ounce of cardio, if you're a runner well then you need to up the calories like it's your last day of eating!

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been two full months now since I stated I was going to bulk at 1 pound per month.

In terms of my bulk, while I may not have put on a solid 2 pounds of LBM in this time, it looks like I did get pretty close in terms of overall weight gain (although I realize some of that is water). However, there are other things with my training that I can say has been successful, and I have to wonder how close I may be to the maximum amount of strength I can gain in some areas with my existing muscle mass.

I did say back in January that I was stalled out on several lifts on my machine. However, over the last 5 weeks I have seen strength gains on all of my lifts. It turns out part of my problem was how I was training. When I look back where I was around the third week of January, to get to where I am now seemed hopeless. Just this past Saturday, I set a PR that means more to me than any other accomplishment I've achieved with lifting over the last few months.

So overall, I can't say that I'm disappointed with my lifts and weight from my original plan two months ago, and I have no reason to complain about any of this. Of course, I realize what I'm doing is not considered "ideal". But I feel as though I'm making the most of it and doing something, and I think most of you would agree that something is better than just sitting around doing absolutely nothing.

(And as a side note, I've been applying to more jobs recently as well, and did actually have a job interview earlier today).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been two full months now since I stated I was going to bulk at 1 pound per month.

In terms of my bulk, while I may not have put on a solid 2 pounds of LBM in this time, it looks like I did get pretty close in terms of overall weight gain (although I realize some of that is water). However, there are other things with my training that I can say has been successful, and I have to wonder how close I may be to the maximum amount of strength I can gain in some areas with my existing muscle mass.

I did say back in January that I was stalled out on several lifts on my machine. However, over the last 5 weeks I have seen strength gains on all of my lifts. It turns out part of my problem was how I was training. When I look back where I was around the third week of January, to get to where I am now seemed hopeless. Just this past Saturday, I set a PR that means more to me than any other accomplishment I've achieved with lifting over the last few months.

So overall, I can't say that I'm disappointed with my lifts and weight from my original plan two months ago, and I have no reason to complain about any of this. Of course, I realize what I'm doing is not considered "ideal". But I feel as though I'm making the most of it and doing something, and I think most of you would agree that something is better than just sitting around doing absolutely nothing.

(And as a side note, I've been applying to more jobs recently as well, and did actually have a job interview earlier today).

Glad you are seeing the progress you wanted.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Glad your progressing. How'd the interview go? Fingers crossed.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Glad you have made some progress and have started to understand enough to know that you were making mistakes. I hope that you will land this job and then get to a real gym and find out how good free weights really are.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    It went great, but we'll see what happens.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    It went great, but we'll see what happens.

You doubt before you barely begin.

More can do attitude- less "meh"

• letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Denial is often the first stage
    MrM27 wrote: »
    There is another gym around and yes my college gym has a membership. However, I don't currently have a source of income right now, so I cannot afford a membership anywhere.

Do you go to school? Can you get a job? What do you do for a living?
    I'm a full time student at another college (mostly online school, however). I have been looking for part time work.
    And that college, does it have a campus by you with a gym?
    How have you been looking for work? What kind of work? How long have you been looking?
    First question: No.
    I've been frequently checking my old school's job connection website for local jobs, local government website for jobs, among other places. In the past I've also applied for other paid internships I've seen elsewhere, and just a few weeks ago I applied for a job near where I am. My focus has mostly been computer-oriented. However, I've also been looking at other jobs as well, which includes the job I last applied for. Most jobs I see are not entry level. I have had a couple internships/jobs in between, but this has been ongoing for over a year.

Woah woah woah I was planning on reading the whole thread before saying anything as I am new to trying to gain weight and am mostly using this thread as advice on gaining weight that op isn't truly taking. However "just a few weeks ago"? Are you kidding? Looking for a job is a job in itself. You need to be putting in like ten applications DAILY...MINIMUM. Play. I'm going to finish reading now. Go on.
  • letsgain01
    Options
    am a licensed practical nurse. I graduated in August, passed my NCLEX September 5th. Started hard-core job searching. Applied to go back to school and finish my RN. When early November hit and I was still striking out for nursing jobs, I received my acceptance to start back in school in January 2015. I immediately started applying for retail jobs (seasonal, yo!) and was interviewed and hired November 10th, orientation on the 17th, first day of work the 19th. I averaged about 32 hrs/week over the holidays and since I work hard, they offered me a part-time job, the only person they did so out of 8 seasonal employees. I go to school, work 2-3 shifts a week (12-24 hrs basically) and oh, did I mention I have four kids?

Stop making excuses, get a job, eat some damn food and lift some damn weights, or shut the hell up about it!
    [/quote]And I will keep looking. But please don't make it seem like getting a job is a piece of cake for everyone. Heck, I know people in my area who graduated from college years ago and still can't get a job in their field. For most of the entry level jobs I've seen, the pay is close to minimum wage. To me, your last statement makes it sound like if I land a job tomorrow I can just go out in a few days and go buy a gym membership or buy some weights.

auddii wrote:
    Ha, I missed this. Obvious answer...
    I saw it, and yes I will look into seeing if any of the local gyms are hiring.[/quote]

Jumping in once more to point out that she clearly states that she didn't get a job in h get field
  • letsgain01
    Options
    There is another gym around and yes my college gym has a membership. However, I don't currently have a source of income right now, so I cannot afford a membership anywhere.

Do you go to school? Can you get a job? What do you do for a living?
    I'm a full time student at another college (mostly online school, however). I have been looking for part time work.
    And that college, does it have a campus by you with a gym?
    How have you been looking for work? What kind of work? How long have you been looking?
    First question: No.
    I've been frequently checking my old school's job connection website for local jobs, local government website for jobs, among other places. In the past I've also applied for other paid internships I've seen elsewhere, and just a few weeks ago I applied for a job near where I am. My focus has mostly been computer-oriented. However, I've also been looking at other jobs as well, which includes the job I last applied for. Most jobs I see are not entry level. I have had a couple internships/jobs in between, but this has been ongoing for over a year.

How about retail, a store, a mall, a supermarket, a fast food restaurant etc?
    I've looked that some, but I'll admit not as much as other job types.

I am a licensed practical nurse. I graduated in August, passed my NCLEX September 5th. Started hard-core job searching. Applied to go back to school and finish my RN. When early November hit and I was still striking out for nursing jobs, I received my acceptance to start back in school in January 2015. I immediately started applying for retail jobs (seasonal, yo!) and was interviewed and hired November 10th, orientation on the 17th, first day of work the 19th. I averaged about 32 hrs/week over the holidays and since I work hard, they offered me a part-time job, the only person they did so out of 8 seasonal employees. I go to school, work 2-3 shifts a week (12-24 hrs basically) and oh, did I mention I have four kids?

Stop making excuses, get a job, eat some damn food and lift some damn weights, or shut the hell up about it!
    And I will keep looking. But please don't make it seem like getting a job is a piece of cake for everyone. Heck, I know people in my area who graduated from college years ago and still can't get a job in their field. For most of the entry level jobs I've seen, the pay is close to minimum wage. To me, your last statement makes it sound like if I land a job tomorrow I can just go out in a few days and go buy a gym membership or buy some weights.

auddii wrote:
    Ha, I missed this. Obvious answer...
    I saw it, and yes I will look into seeing if any of the local gyms are hiring.

Is minimum wage more than the $0/hr you're making now? Yes? Ta-da!

Right? I took a job that was LESS than minimum wage once bc I really needed a job and recognized that you can't always work where you want with little to no experience.
  • letsgain01
    Options
    You guys are missing my point. For some many pages people have been telling me to get to work in a gym and train properly. How can I do that right now??

I will tell you how you can do it, the same way I do and many others do, we just go out and do it. I have a full time job, a part time job and I make time to train 3 days per week. I get up at 5 am and go to be around 11pm. I work almost 60 hours per week. I'm sorry but if you don't have the drive to better yourself or do more and instead would rather say that the work pays close to minimum wage then you have a problem. A problem we can't fix. This is America, land of opportunity. You take that opportunity and you ring it's neck and suck everything you can out of it. You get out of life what you put in. Excuses get you nothing. Nothing.
    You guys are missing my point. For some many pages people have been telling me to get to work in a gym and train properly. How can I do that right now??

I just told you. Get a job AT a gym. They will include membership as one of the perks.
    That's assuming they're hiring…

You are something else. When I first read they didn't let you use the gym I thought "Well then how can he get a membership, maybe work there". I guess you just refuse to analyze situations. This is getting ridiculous already.
    I never said that I wouldn't look into the options that have been mentioned (and I did state a few minutes ago I was going to take bro's suggestion into looking at local gyms for employment). But in all likelihood, I'll respond back and say that they're not hiring or I don't meet the qualifications. It does not mean I won't try in the first place, but if I don't meet the job requirements or they're not hiring, there's not much else I can do (speaking in terms of a gym). Obviously I can continue to look for jobs elsewhere, but as I already stated landing a job is not going to enable me to afford a gym membership immediately.

Sometimes you need to be aggressive but you seem to have an issue understanding that. Don't take no for an answer. Every single job I've had, I was not technically qualified for and were all different fields. Know how I got those jobs? Persistence.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're going to be scrawny forever unless you buck up and start stuffing your face. Sure you'll have an upset stomach, but at least you won't be the size of a 12 year old boy....or girl?

Make your diary public. I'm sure everyone's dying to see how many calories you're actually taking in daily.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    Make your diary public. I'm sure everyone's dying to see how many calories you're actually taking in daily.
    I did back in January, and I was consistently taking in around 2200-2300 (and I know there hasn't been much change since then). I don't remember what page(s), but there were a few here that commented on my calorie intake when I was logging back then.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i see the excuse train is still rolling through ….
  • ForecasterJason
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i see the excuse train is still rolling through ….
    Just so there's no confusion, I'm not still asking for advice on how to get into a calorie surplus. I stated back on page 16 that I figured out the "answer" to the original question I asked. And I’m also not trying to do that slow bulk anymore (I’m kind of still following what I initially stated in my OP). I have no problems putting my diary back up and logging, but I am missing the point (unless you guys are really just that curious about how much I'm eating now).