Running Shoes?

Options
13»

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Yes getting fitted is the 1st step to avoid most issues and running related injuries.

However if your toe problem persist even after getting fitted you may want to take a look at the way you tie your laces.

Here is a great article on that and number of ways one can tie shoe lace.
    Hope it helps.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    brooks ghost 6 or 7. 6 are last year models so cheaper. Larger toe box and great support.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I second that everyone is different. I had very bad experiences with specialty running stores analyzing my gait and recommending shoes. They got it very wrong. I found the shoes that worked for me by reading and ordering online.
  • smilingdaisies
    smilingdaisies Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I second that everyone is different. I had very bad experiences with specialty running stores analyzing my gait and recommending shoes. They got it very wrong. I found the shoes that worked for me by reading and ordering online.

I appreciate your response! Thank you!
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Same here. I bought my first pair of running shoes (Asics Gel-Flux) because they felt good when I tried them on at Kohls. Even as I increased my mileage, I never experienced any problems. Then I started reading online about how imperative it is to be professionally analyzed, so I visited two different running shoe stores and was told by both that I was a perfectly neutral runner.

And I am, on my right side. My left side is a little different, so running in neutral shoes causes issues with my left leg. Convinced that the running stores MUST be right, i wasted a couple hundred dollars buying 3 different brands of neutral shoes in my attempt to find the right pair.

I do recommend sizing up though. I didn't know that I was supposed to do so in my first pair of shoes, and now that I'm running much longer distances, that extra toe room is lovely.

For what it's worth, the Asics I wear have a very roomy toe box--roomier than any other Asics, Brooks, or Nikes I've tried.

• smilingdaisies
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »

Same here. I bought my first pair of running shoes (Asics Gel-Flux) because they felt good when I tried them on at Kohls. Even as I increased my mileage, I never experienced any problems. Then I started reading online about how imperative it is to be professionally analyzed, so I visited two different running shoe stores and was told by both that I was a perfectly neutral runner.

And I am, on my right side. My left side is a little different, so running in neutral shoes causes issues with my left leg. Convinced that the running stores MUST be right, i wasted a couple hundred dollars buying 3 different brands of neutral shoes in my attempt to find the right pair.

I do recommend sizing up though. I didn't know that I was supposed to do so in my first pair of shoes, and now that I'm running much longer distances, that extra toe room is lovely.

For what it's worth, the Asics I wear have a very roomy toe box--roomier than any other Asics, Brooks, or Nikes I've tried.

Thanks!! I did an online profile based on weight, height, etc...it recommended Sauconys Triumph 11. Have you heard anything about those?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Once you get some recommendations, either through online or in-person analysis and fitting, go try them on an see how they feel. Don't feel obligated to buy the ones the sales person recommends. After you find some that feel like they are suited to you, you can always check online deals for the best price. Many sites offer free shipping and exchanges. I got mine from 6pm.com--they have free shipping to you, but not on returns--but a good deal if you already know what you want (I got my $120 Mizunos for $50). Shop around.
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend having your gait analysed highly enough. I had issues running with pain in the outsides of my lower leg / shin area, and it turned out to be problems with my ITB, that were being aggravated by the wrong running shoes. I over-pronate, so needed stability shoes rather than the neutral ones I had. I switched to a suitable pair of these (Mizumo Wave Inspire 9) and things improved measurably. That, and the correct warm up / down exercises have eliminated the pain completely. I also feel a lot more comfortable running in them.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Here's what I found most beneficial about having my old shoe tread and my gait analyzed along with sizing at a specialty running shoe store. After they determined from my wear pattern and gait what kind of shoes I should be looking at, they had me try on 5 different pairs of shoes and had me run around the store in them to let me decide which ones were the best. There is no way of doing that online, and when simply shopping on your own it may be difficult to get away with popping on a new pair of shoes and running out the door to run around the store.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Once you get some recommendations, either through online or in-person analysis and fitting, go try them on an see how they feel. Don't feel obligated to buy the ones the sales person recommends. After you find some that feel like they are suited to you, you can always check online deals for the best price. Many sites offer free shipping and exchanges. I got mine from 6pm.com--they have free shipping to you, but not on returns--but a good deal if you already know what you want (I got my $120 Mizunos for $50). Shop around.

Support your local running store. At least the first time when they do you a solid of a free shoe fitting.

OP:
    Saucony is a solid brand. The Triumph is their high-end neutral shoe ($150). The selling point is "more cushioning" than the next step down, the Saucony Ride . Whether it actually feels more cushiony is debatable. Whether you would even like more cushioning is personal preference. Whether Saucs fit your feet well is something you can only find out by trying them on in person. :)
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Nike Baddeley
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Renee0887 wrote: »
    chuck636 wrote: »
    I like asics, not the most fashionable choice of mine,but good support and cushion

LOVE my Asics! Most really good stores will check your gait and recommend the proper shoe for you. Well worth it!
    I recommend this as well. Asics are excellent but didn`t feel comfortable for me, so I wear (and love) Saucony`s.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

Try them all on. Then try on some more.

This is a great piece of advice. I bought my first pair of running shoes recently (Brooks) and they helped tremendously compared to the random fashion sneakers I had been using. Going to a running store can be beneficial on many levels. My gait was checked and I discussed how I had horrible shin splints so I was shown a stretch with a foam roller. I wasn't able to jog more than a half mile before because of the pain and now I am doing 2+ miles at a time. The specialized running store will offer you a lot of insight and be able to target your specific needs. They also let you try on tons and tons of shoes, which they choose based on your information, and then you can try on even more based on the feedback you give them.

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Yes getting fitted is the 1st step to avoid most issues and running related injuries.

However if your toe problem persist even after getting fitted you may want to take a look at the way you tie your laces.

Here is a great article on that and number of ways one can tie shoe lace.
    Hope it helps.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

I second this. I started with a pair of Aisics, (am I spelling that wrong?), just got fit for a pair of New Balances, but the toe box was tighter than I was used to and I was experiencing tingling in my toes. I re-laced my shoes according to that link for a wider toe box, and it's amazing the difference one little change can make to improve the comfort of the shoe! Definetely take a look at that link!
  • smilingdaisies
    Options
    Btw...would love to build my support circle if any can add another friend. ;)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can add me, if you like.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide try and keep track of use. They all wear out and depending on how many miles you run or zumba or what have you the support can give out before you see the shoe fall apart. Its not like the old days with our PF flyers getting a hole through the bottom! If your shoe wears out you can start to get shin splints etc.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    ....working vigorously on the treadmill, what shoes work best?

The ones that are appropriate to your style of running, gait and build. Go into a good running shop and get some practical advice.

Random brand suggestions from people here will do you no good at all.

Black toenail is more likely down to fit than anything else, particularly if you're trying running fast without actually building your base running capability.

This. Different brands and models work well for different people. Sounds like fit and possibly toe box space may be your issue. You really need to get fitted at a store and find what works for you.

All the major brands make running shoe models that work well. It's not just the brand, it's the model. For example, I wear Saucony, but not all their models are right for me. Only certain models work well for my gait and needs.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    wagn27 wrote: »

I've got Asics as well. Had the gait analysis done and it helped with my shin splints. I was told brands like Nike, Reebok, etc advertise as running shoes, but they aren't really the best.

Reebok specializes more in fitness shoes like Head specializes in racquet sports. The Nikes you find at Kohl's aren't going to be their running shoes and I think that's where they get that rep from. But Nike does make some really good running shoes.