Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

"Ignore this user" and "block" feature

Silver_StarSilver_Star Posts: 1,351Member Member Posts: 1,351Member Member
It would be nice to have the option to permanently ignore/block someone without having to have a private message from/to them...in order to block them.

In the forums, when i click the "ignore this user" option...i can still notice where they have commented in the other thread since i can see " You are ignoring this user" with the "undo" option....It would be nice to permanently ignore that user.

Replies

• tauntotaunto Posts: 6,512Member Member Posts: 6,512Member Member
    a universal "ignore" feature is definitely needed!
  • crista_bcrista_b Posts: 1,207Member Member Posts: 1,207Member Member
    It would be nice to have the option to permanently ignore/block someone without having to have a private message from/to them...in order to block them.

In the forums, when i click the "ignore this user" option...i can still notice where they have commented in the other thread since i can see " You are ignoring this user" with the "undo" option....It would be nice to permanently ignore that user.
    Completely agree.
  • kennethmgreenkennethmgreen Posts: 1,822Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,822Member, Premium Member

I agree that if you Block someone in the forum, you should at least be given an option to also block all contact from that person (restrict personal messages). But I don't know about the permanence. What if you block someone accidentally? What if a user who doesn't understand the functionality clicks Block and then can't easily undo that action?

Also, what if you get all in a tizzy (well, not you) - what if I get all in a tizzy and don't want to read something and choose to ignore a person, then later decide that I'm not as bothered as I was in the moment? I'd want to easily resume my normal reading of MFP forum wisdom nuggets after cooling off.

Finally, it sounds like the option to ignore a user in thread and make their words not show up in the thread isn't good enough. Are you asking for the ability to remove all evidence of existence from someone you choose to ignore? I understand not wanting to see what some people post. But just seeing that they posted is an issue? Is it because of curiosity - that you are too tempted to not look? Or are people actually carrying around a white hot resentment that burns so fiercely, a reminder that someone exists causes problems? I hope the former.
  • Junken_DiraffeJunken_Diraffe Posts: 734Member Member Posts: 734Member Member
    If, in blocking them, you just didn't see the person anywhere it would be awesome. Like, I block someone, they comment on a mutual friend's post or wall, I'd like to not see that.

Thanks.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocksBeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,988Member Member Posts: 3,988Member Member

I agree that if you Block someone in the forum, you should at least be given an option to also block all contact from that person (restrict personal messages). But I don't know about the permanence. What if you block someone accidentally? What if a user who doesn't understand the functionality clicks Block and then can't easily undo that action?

Also, what if you get all in a tizzy (well, not you) - what if I get all in a tizzy and don't want to read something and choose to ignore a person, then later decide that I'm not as bothered as I was in the moment? I'd want to easily resume my normal reading of MFP forum wisdom nuggets after cooling off.

Finally, it sounds like the option to ignore a user in thread and make their words not show up in the thread isn't good enough. Are you asking for the ability to remove all evidence of existence from someone you choose to ignore? I understand not wanting to see what some people post. But just seeing that they posted is an issue? Is it because of curiosity - that you are too tempted to not look? Or are people actually carrying around a white hot resentment that burns so fiercely, a reminder that someone exists causes problems? I hope the former.

I'm fickle like this. I like to be able to change my mind or keep confirming that the person is still a whacko and put them back on ignore.
  • SpazQSpazQ Posts: 104Member Posts: 104Member
    how about a feature on threads such as "view unread posts"

Maybe this exists and I am too new to know but most forums have this. That way you don't have to go through the posts you already read.

??
  • kennethmgreenkennethmgreen Posts: 1,822Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,822Member, Premium Member
    Maybe this exists ... but most forums have
    This reasoning generally leads to frustration.

MFP does a lot of things well, some things VERY well. But the technical virtues of the forum community are adequate at best. If you are coming from vBulletin, SMF, XMB, YaBB and the like, and expecting similar functionality, you aren't going to find it.

To be fair, the current functionality probably serves 80-90% of the MFP user base just fine, so there isn't really a strong push for innovation in that area - or even updates/improvements. A pure online forum package has to compete with the other pure online forum packages. MFP does not.

Even though it lacks in forum prowess, MFP still has the best blend of features compared to other fitness/weight loss community apps/sites. There isn't a better offering. But that's just because Taso went and had twins.
  • Silver_StarSilver_Star Posts: 1,351Member Member Posts: 1,351Member Member

maybe there could be two buttons then? One to "undo" and one " "block this user" with a permanent option? Yes there have been a few users who do grate on my nerves..LOL..but its only after a year of being on MFP, and reading their comments that i have finally decided i really dont care to see what they're saying/typing any more .
  • socajamsocajam Posts: 3,104Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,104Member, Premium Member
    Are we back in high school. If I have someone on ignore, they could write, reply or whatever until the cows come home, it would not bother me because I am not interested. It's call being mature and focus on what it is important. Why even waste time thinking about that person, after all they are on your "ignore" list.

Fix the database, with the asinine entries that makes no sense.
  • Alta2000Alta2000 Posts: 655Member Member Posts: 655Member Member
    I do not think it is a good idea to have an ignore/block button. A lot of people here have low self-esteem issues and other mental problems, plus a lot of immature 16 yr olds that pretend to be 19. If they do not learn to function in an anonymous forum how are they going to overcome their issues in the open society?
  • socajamsocajam Posts: 3,104Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,104Member, Premium Member
    I do not think it is a good idea to have an ignore/block button. A lot of people here have low self-esteem issues and other mental problems, plus a lot of immature 16 yr olds that pretend to be 19. If they do not learn to function in an anonymous forum how are they going to overcome their issues in the open society?

Exactly.
  • 122ish122ish Posts: 339Member Member Posts: 339Member Member
    What exactly did someone do to u to make u feel that way. Guess I am too new to feel that way.

Yes, it really is MY problem to teach them kids. I mean, I obviously am their parent right? And it is my job to bud in.

News flash: Most of the immature crowd on MFP is usually over 30 even. Almost every immature person on this site I have met is well over 19. So if you wanna run a school and teach the kids how to be good like you're their mother, other people prefer to have peace and would rather just ignore them.

Not to mention the creepers on this site.
    Are we back in high school. If I have someone on ignore, they could write, reply or whatever until the cows come home, it would not bother me because I am not interested. It's call being mature and focus on what it is important. Why even waste time thinking about that person, after all they are on your "ignore" list.

Fix the database, with the asinine entries that makes no sense.

In high school the most important thing for me was to somehow get laid. Sadly, even though many of us have grown up since then, it is STILL the most important thing and girls who post their pictures on their profile get constantly harrassed by the horny members of MFP.

You might not be facing that problem because you choose to not post your picture on their profile. Which is fine and all, but you should probably calm down and not lash out with a problem that doesn't really concern you but does affect others...

Yes, it really is MY problem to teach them kids. I mean, I obviously am their parent right? And it is my job to bud in.

News flash: Most of the immature crowd on MFP is usually over 30 even. Almost every immature person on this site I have met is well over 19. So if you wanna run a school and teach the kids how to be good like you're their mother, other people prefer to have peace and would rather just ignore them.

It is not an issue of teaching the kids anything. But when you have 16 yrs old posting how their legs look "disgusting" or others who consume 500 calories daily, it is a cry for help. That's in all psych 100 textbooks. There are creepers and immature people anywhere. Learning how to deal with them is a skill to develop and necessary since you can find these people in real life as well. However, it is more important to help a young person or someone who is clinically depressed, or depressed and does not want to accept it.

It is not an issue of teaching the kids anything. But when you have 16 yrs old posting how their legs look "disgusting" or others who consume 500 calories daily, it is a cry for help. That's in all psych 100 textbooks. There are creepers and immature people anywhere. Learning how to deal with them is a skill to develop and necessary since you can find these people in real life as well. However, it is more important to help a young person or someone who is clinically depressed, or depressed and does not want to accept it.

Im glad that you learned something from that Psych 101 class you took in your college but you're still missing the point. I don't wanna read other immature adults. And there are tons of them here. Just because you have some complex where you want to try and "cure" others doesn't mean everyone else should have to go through it.

And I'm not here to learn how to deal with creepers...

Basically what you're saying is that it is ok for creepers to be creeper. It is OK for immature folks to be immature. But it is NOT ok for me to want to ignore them. Wheres my cry for help? Maybe I'm crying for help by asking to be given the liberty to ignore others.

Im glad that you learned something from that Psych 101 class you took in your college but you're still missing the point. I don't wanna read other immature adults. And there are tons of them here. Just because you have some complex where you want to try and "cure" others doesn't mean everyone else should have to go through it.

And I'm not here to learn how to deal with creepers...

Basically what you're saying is that it is ok for creepers to be creeper. It is OK for immature folks to be immature. But it is NOT ok for me to want to ignore them. Wheres my cry for help? Maybe I'm crying for help by asking to be given the liberty to ignore others.

I do not have a need to cure anyone and psych was taken in college to fulfill the distribution requirements, pretty standard in the curriculum for most private LA colleges in the USA.
    Just as one has to learn how to handle creepers in real life, one has to learn to handle them anywhere. Ignore their comments that are addressed to you, delete their private messages without replying. How are you going to handle a creeper or immature person who may be in your work environment?
    I do not have a need to cure anyone and psych was taken in college to fulfill the distribution requirements, pretty standard in the curriculum for most private LA colleges in the USA.
    Just as one has to learn how to handle creepers in real life, one has to learn to handle them anywhere. Ignore their comments that are addressed to you, delete their private messages without replying. How are you going to handle a creeper or immature person who may be in your work environment?

This section is merely for users to give suggestions or feedback..This is not the Chit Chat section where you give your opinion of why it is wrong or right...if you do not want this feature then just say so. There is no need to think the person requesting this is immature for asking for it.

I have deleted creepy messages quietly, i have ignore plenty of people, and i know how to have fun and not let people ruin my day. IF you read my " Recent posts" you know that i havent ever asked for something like this before.

Please do not jump to conclusions about people's character or way of thinking....without really noticing a trend in their way of thought.

I came here to request a feature. Nothing more.

The feature i have requested is not so i can ignore pleas for help. I have a totally different sort of people in mind, to ignore. I can handle creepers, I just need to have this option so i can block people who purposely insult and attack each other ( and im not talking about the general users on here...there are specific few in mind, whom i have noticed during the year and a few months than i have been on MFP )
  • PaulChasinDreamsPaulChasinDreams Posts: 302Member, Premium Member Posts: 302Member, Premium Member
    The feature i have requested is not so i can ignore pleas for help. I have a totally different sort of people in mind, to ignore. I can handle creepers, I just need to have this option so i can block people who purposely insult and attack each other ( and im not talking about the general users on here...there are specific few in mind, whom i have noticed during the year and a few months than i have been on MFP )

Yes totally agree!! Love this feature and have had to use it too lately. I highly recommend it!! Great being able to control who's posts we see and do not see!

23ah1v8aihc5.png