Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I just say to each their own. If you like meat, eat it(in accordance with your macros). If you don't, or don't like the thought of animals dying, then don't.

It's like that video of the little girl that has been circling Facebook. "Worry bout yoself!" :smiley:
  • ziaibelieve
    ziaibelieve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nothing... if its grass-fed and organic! LOL!

Otherwise, it can be stuffed full of corn and antibiotics.

But relating to nutrition, there really isn't anything wrong with beef!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The people who go on about a high meat diet being unsustainable for the human population are right... because the human population is too high and increasing too quickly.

Breed less and eat more steak.

The reason meat is more unsustainable than veggies is that animals eat so much themselves before we can eat them. I was taught in school that the area of field needed to grow enough animal food to produce one meal with steak, could produce up to 100 vegetarian meals. So, growing animals for food isn't very efficient use of land.

Well, maybe. Animals are a lot less fussy about the plants they eat than people. Livestock can graze land that is too sparse to grow food for humans consumption. Sheep and goats in particular can survive on very marginal land like this:
    mzxSGJG.jpg

And remember the earth is covered 70% by water. There are few water based plants that are human edible but we can glean many calories from fishing. Some human populations like the Inuit were able to survive in the Artic where there is no arable land at all by harvesting sea animals.

So sometimes eating animals IS the most efficient use of the earth.

This!

I live in one of those places. Some parts of the land can be easily farmed, and other parts are not good for growing plants for human consumption, but beef cattle thrive.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting

meh- not living by the time it gets to my face so I'm good.

- technically veggies are living things too before we pick them- just on a different level.

If you were to take that idea to the fullest you couldn't even breath- there are living things everywhere on so many levels.

rlc5b03zjwlw.jpg

your can of worms honey- you opened it.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't need the government telling me to eat less red meat. The price tag does that. :neutral_face:

But I eat chicken and fish like a fiend and I'm not about to stop.
    same here only fish tends to fall under this category as well.

I've had really good luck finding discount pork recently.

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's expensive and hard to find reputable sources... Don't sweat the cholesterol though. It has never been proven that dietary cholesterol actually increases blood cholesterol more than a fraction. It does NOT go right to your arteries and gum them up. The body does not work that way. We've been lied to for 30 years to sell cereals and low fat foods. Anyone here actually loosing weight without starving on a low fat diet? Without any fat and cholesterol, you die.