no carbs diet for vegetarians

2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Thank you so much! This is super helpful. I think I'll test this out for two weeks or so!

Don't. Seriously. Did you miss the part where she couldn't sustain it due to the limited nature of her food choices? The whole idea of weight loss is to find a sustainable way of eating so that once the weight is off, you can maintain your loss.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    So are you planning on becoming a cheesatarian? How can you be a vegetarian and not eat fruits and vegetables?
    My sister-in-law is mostly a cheesatarian. She's vegetarian but doesn't like most vegetables. She will eat rice and beans, but she claims* most of her calories come from cheese.

*She doesn't track calories so my guess is that she really doesn't know. But she does eat a lot of cheese...

I have a friend like that, too.

I was a vegetarian for 18 years....it just isn't healthy to do this and not eat vegetables. (carbs)

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I don't eat meat, so doing the no carbs thing is difficult for me ,but any fellow vegetarian friends out there who have done it? What did you eat? Do you have any other good ideas for healthy diets and/or cleanses?

I am a vegetarian, and I eat lots of carbs. I am also pretty skinny these days, so I dont think the carbs are the problem.

Try eating a balanced diet, and tracking calories here on MFP.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    So are you planning on becoming a cheesatarian? How can you be a vegetarian and not eat fruits and vegetables?
    My sister-in-law is mostly a cheesatarian. She's vegetarian but doesn't like most vegetables. She will eat rice and beans, but she claims* most of her calories come from cheese.

*She doesn't track calories so my guess is that she really doesn't know. But she does eat a lot of cheese...

Ugh, I can only imagine the constipation must be near terminal!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

Ugh, I can only imagine the constipation must be near terminal!
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    603reader wrote: »
    Hi there...
    I am a long term lacto-ovo vegetarian and recently tried exactly what you are trying. I tried an Atkins-like approach and I maintained it for two weeks. I ate eggs, tofu, cheese, nuts, broccoli and some meat substitutes for my protein. I also ate a ton of veggies. I used cream in my coffee and kept my carbs low. The good: I lost weight very quickly and felt utterly fantastic. I mean, I haven't felt that good for literally as long as I can remember. The bad: it is boring, and easy to tire of. I never wanted to see another egg. Also, since a lot of my protein was coming from eggs and cheese, my cholesterol levels were off the chart. It was extremely bad for my arteries. Carbs, if you are getting them from beans, brown rice, peas, and whole grain breads, cereals and pastas, are high in fiber, which really helps keep the veins/arteries free of plaque. I've recently developed palpitations and have become a lot more aware of heart health. I'm back to just eating at a deficit now. So that's my two cents. Best of luck to you!

In two weeks your cholesterol levels went off the charts?
    I bet you already HAD high cholesterol levels to begin with if this is even remotely true.

Apparently I need to be a little more specific. According to my lab tests done by Kaiser my cholesterol is 156, which I am happy with. However, I was eating too much cholesterol for it to be healthy to sustain, and was way over on my recommended daily intake of cholesterol for the two weeks that I was eating that diet.

So, OP, my point is that carbs will give you a better-rounded diet, and just focus on eating at a deficit. Find a way of eating that you can maintain for the long-term. Something realistic that incorportates foods you enjoy eating.