Headaches after the gym?

2»

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Add some trace minerals to your water. Water is supposed to have minerals. Purified, distilled, reverse osmosis doesn't have any. If you drink a lot of this water you can do harm to your body in the long run. I learned the hard way. ConcenTrace is a good brand.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    cindytw wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Working out isn't going to really increase blood pressure. That isn't how high blood pressure works. A heart that is beating faster from exercise doesn't mean there will be more pressure on the top or bottom number. If anything, working out will help blood pressure.

The most likely issue is dehydration, followed by some sinus congestion which can cause pressure headaches after you workout, then perhaps stress headaches.

Talk to your doctor if it is persistent.

REALLY?? Because my DOCTOR told me this and it is also right here on Mayo Clinic. mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451

It doesn't raise it overall but spikes can cause headaches and migraines. One of my worst migraines was after a really tough personal training session.
    Sounds like your doctor needs a little continuing ed time.

Right, so doctors AND the Mayo Clinic are wrong but YOU are right. Sure.

Your doctor isn't wrong, but you are interpreting this incorrectly. High blood pressure CAN cause headaches after a workout. So can a brain tumor. So can many other medical conditions.

For MOST people, dehydration is the issue. If she drinks and drinks and it is still happening then there might be another problem. Lets not jump too quickly to assume the OP has dangerously high BP. Lets first start with suggesting the OP drinks more.

OK but I am not interpreting anything wrong. Yes there are a lot of factors. AND dehydration can cause your blood pressure to be elevated as well as whatever else it causes. I made one suggestion of what the problem could be (blood pressure) and suddenly I am an idiot and so is my doctor even though this very thing has happened to me and I am sure other people. Goodnight people this is insane!

Don't take things too personally here. We are all just sharing ideas. Not every post has to coddle previous ideas. You're alright. :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Working out isn't going to really increase blood pressure. That isn't how high blood pressure works. A heart that is beating faster from exercise doesn't mean there will be more pressure on the top or bottom number. If anything, working out will help blood pressure.

The most likely issue is dehydration, followed by some sinus congestion which can cause pressure headaches after you workout, then perhaps stress headaches.

Talk to your doctor if it is persistent.

REALLY?? Because my DOCTOR told me this and it is also right here on Mayo Clinic. mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451

It doesn't raise it overall but spikes can cause headaches and migraines. One of my worst migraines was after a really tough personal training session.
    Sounds like your doctor needs a little continuing ed time.

Right, so doctors AND the Mayo Clinic are wrong but YOU are right. Sure.

Your doctor isn't wrong, but you are interpreting this incorrectly. High blood pressure CAN cause headaches after a workout. So can a brain tumor. So can many other medical conditions.

For MOST people, dehydration is the issue. If she drinks and drinks and it is still happening then there might be another problem. Lets not jump too quickly to assume the OP has dangerously high BP. Lets first start with suggesting the OP drinks more.

OK but I am not interpreting anything wrong. Yes there are a lot of factors. AND dehydration can cause your blood pressure to be elevated as well as whatever else it causes. I made one suggestion of what the problem could be (blood pressure) and suddenly I am an idiot and so is my doctor even though this very thing has happened to me and I am sure other people. Goodnight people this is insane!

All that cortisol, not healthy. :(
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    edited January 2015
    Another idea I have often discussed with my physical therapist, since that happens to me occasionally. If your back/shoulders/neck are too stiff/messed up/you clench them during workout/you have incorrect form while lifting, you could mess up the muscles in your upper back and that can cause a headache. The muscles can press on nerves and even veins, causing a headache. The other option is, you manage to loosen the area a little during your workout, and the change can cause a headache. My upper back muscles are usually so tight and messed up they're numb, and my therapist continues to be amazed I can live a relatively normal life and not have headaches every day.
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    I feel like that when my sugar level is really low.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Drinking water alone may not be hydrating yourself. When we sweat we are also losing vital salts such as sodium and magnesium whcih are usually bunched together and aclled electrolyes. For our bodies to store the water we take in our electrolyte levels need to be right and obviously if you are sweating alot this can cause them to be low. At this point drinking water alone will not help and you then can get a headache from dehydration.

You can electrolyes in some sports drink - lots of runners buy them in tablet form and add them to their water and you can also buy powder to add to a drink ( I buy that as it is much cheaper and having low BP I drink two bottles of electrolytes a day)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    I went through months of headaches that got so bad they were crippling and lasted for days. To cut a long story short I had an MRI scan and it turned out I had badly blocked sinuses.