Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Group Search - A Google Work Around

CyberToneCyberTone Member Posts: 7,336 Member Member Posts: 7,336 Member
I found a relatively simply way to narrow down the search results for MFP Groups in English using Google. This is not very elegant, but it is a decent work around until MFP releases its official Group Search.

Search google.com in the format:
keyword site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

Examples:
50 site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
challenge site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
diabetes site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
gelato site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
stronglifts site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

You can also use Google Advanced Search.
google.com/advanced_search

Replies

• coueswhitetailcoueswhitetail Member Posts: 323 Member Member Posts: 323 Member
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Member Posts: 7,250 Member Member Posts: 7,250 Member
    Mr. CyberTone, you rule. Added the site:... stuff to my iPhone shortcuts
  • myheartsabattlegroundmyheartsabattleground Member Posts: 2,122 Member Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Thank you !
  • AlexAlex Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 9,542 MFP Staff Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 9,542 MFP Staff
    Thank you @CyberTone! I am going to announce this discussion until we get group search live.
  • keeponkickinkeeponkickin Member Posts: 1,534 Member Member Posts: 1,534 Member
    Thank you so much. The lack of being able to search for a group has really pissed me off and glad you showed us another way until they fix this blunder.
  • ActuarialChefActuarialChef Member Posts: 1,494 Member Member Posts: 1,494 Member
    Wow this is great!! Thanks :)
  • GWSGregSGWSGregS Member Posts: 17 Member Member Posts: 17 Member
    Really great workaround here.

If you search the message boards you will find hundreds of requests to bring back the group search. More frustrating is that it's not actually a new feature; just one that was removed! So clearly it's not a big update. In fact, couldn't MFP leverage the google method described here?

I think the only logical conclusion is that MFP wants to kill the groups altogether. If new members can't find a group, they can't join, and the exiting groups stagnate, and the whole thing dies. I think that's very sad. But then again, it's not like we're paying customers.
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Member Posts: 7,250 Member Member Posts: 7,250 Member
    GWSGregS wrote: »

If you search the message boards you will find hundreds of requests to bring back the group search. More frustrating is that it's not actually a new feature; just one that was removed! So clearly it's not a big update. In fact, couldn't MFP leverage the google method described here?

I think the only logical conclusion is that MFP wants to kill the groups altogether. If new members can't find a group, they can't join, and the exiting groups stagnate, and the whole thing dies. I think that's very sad. But then again, it's not like we're paying customers.

@olivia , could the Google workaround link be placed next to the "Browse Popular groups" link? I've seen a comment that although this link is stickied here, it can still be elusive to those who do not frequent the suggestions forum. Or maybe stickie it in more forums. I was in fact involved in a discussion where many active forum participants did not know of the workaround and sorely missed group search

Of course, all of this is may not be necessary if you're on the cusp of implementing group search...
  • HappyTrails7HappyTrails7 Member Posts: 878 Member Member Posts: 878 Member
    Thanks for the work-around, it is appreciated!
  • AlexAlex Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 9,542 MFP Staff Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 9,542 MFP Staff
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    GWSGregS wrote: »

@olivia , could the Google workaround link be placed next to the "Browse Popular groups" link? I've seen a comment that although this link is stickied here, it can still be elusive to those who do not frequent the suggestions forum. Or maybe stickie it in more forums. I was in fact involved in a discussion where many active forum participants did not know of the workaround and sorely missed group search

Of course, all of this is may not be necessary if you're on the cusp of implementing group search...

I *think* we are getting close to launching group search; I should get updates this week from our forum partner on when we might actually be able to get this in member hands.
  • Amazon_WhoAmazon_Who Member Posts: 1,128 Member Member Posts: 1,128 Member
    Thank you
  • gentlygentlygentlygently Member Posts: 698 Member Member Posts: 698 Member
    Aha ! Please - hurry up....thanks Mfp folks
    It's been almost a month, any updates?
  • ActuarialChefActuarialChef Member Posts: 1,494 Member Member Posts: 1,494 Member
    It's been almost a month, any updates?

Hahaha, funny.

Big changes have been taking upwards of 3-4 months to roll out. Get ready to wait.
    Maybe the premium version will take care of it, if your willing to pay for it.
  • minizebuminizebu Member Posts: 2,478 Member Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    What is the status of the group search function?
  • mamamiaumamamiau Member Posts: 38 Member Member Posts: 38 Member
    To the OP, thanks for the workaround! To TPTB, any updates available on Group Search yet?
    @Olivia - 2 months since last update. Any news??

Yes-ish. Our forum provider has schedule the remaining work for next week. Which optimistically means we might see it in as soon as a few weeks. Given that it has taken us several seasons longer than we had planned to release this feature, hence the ish.
    Olivia wrote: »

Yes-ish. Our forum provider has schedule the remaining work for next week. Which optimistically means we might see it in as soon as a few weeks. Given that it has taken us several seasons longer than we had planned to release this feature, hence the ish.

Thanks for the update!
This discussion has been closed.