Depression and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    safe hugs @ObsidianMist I sincerely hope the tide changes in your favor SOON.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. I eventually treated myself to a blizzard from dairy queen for dinner, and I had my support group that I facilitate that night which kind of helped. I still feel like things are up in the air and could take a turn for the worse at any moment. it's not a fun way to live. I'm so unmotivated to do any of the things I have to do. ugh
  • 68myra
    Options
    @ObsidianMist you are not alone, my comrade. although, i can eat. oh, lordy, how i can eat ;)
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hope you all are well.

I'm just having one of those days today. I feel confused about a lot of things and don't know where to turn. I know I'm only 21 but sometimes it feels too late to figure things out. I work so hard and I'm not sure what I'm working for or towards.
  • 68myra
    Options
    I hope you all are well.

I'm just having one of those days today. I feel confused about a lot of things and don't know where to turn. I know I'm only 21 but sometimes it feels too late to figure things out. I work so hard and I'm not sure what I'm working for or towards.
    Hang in there gem. I understand that it may "feel" too late..... but it's never too late. :smiley: it better not be, cause i'm 47! HA!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I am doing well, but i think the medicine wiped me out. so I'm trying spreading it out per doctors suggestion. it seems to be better. it was hard to get up but I'm not falling asleep at my desk
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey Group,
    It is interesting that we become quite philisophical when we face so many challenges and the road ahead seems so incredibly bumpy and long. We produce feelings of futility, frustration and even anger and resentment and create thought processes which question meaning and purpose. Our lives deserve to be understood and so our brains fill in the gap when the answers are not available or the answers are too simplistic. For example, if I don't think I should be down and/or stressed and I shouldn't have to struggle with weight as much as I have in life, somehow I feel angry and sad. Then I move quickly to the the train of thought that life is as hard as I know it is and that just doesn't seem fair or right. Believe me....I follow this process all of the time.
    What I think is unhelpful with this strategy is that, my life is not a "given". I cannot expect happiness, fame and fortune, great outcomes and life without barriers and challenges. If these things are to occur I know deep down, I will have to really consider the choices I am making and consider, seriously, the context, in which I am making these choices. Learning to notice feelings but not let them consume me and blow me off track is the hardest part. It is also the most necessary part as feelings drive our decision making in most instances. For example, I was at the gym this morning and didn't feel like doing anything. I was so tempted to just get out of that torture chamber and go for a snack. I literally forced my mind to think about the consequences of not working out and eating crap vs the pain of staying and pushing this old body around a bit at the gym. I just thanked that annoying voice in my head that tries to make me comfortable and safe (and full) but now was not the time to listen to that seductive part of me. So....my body got what it needed... not what it wanted.
    My lovely friends, think for a moment about how you are not at the mercy of a mood, a thought, a feeling. Let yourself move to a new rhythm and pace because you can do it. Your life DOES have meaning and purpose. It is no greater or less than the meaning you give it. You are what you think you are and you will do what you ask of yourself. Let's be all that we can be.
    Shel
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to wish you a beautiful start to the week.

You are all beautiful and unique people and you're worth it!!!

Much love. :heart:
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    I wonder how everyone is doing? The thread seems quiet these days. When nothing is happening, I imagine a lot is going on. Life never stands still.
    Hope all is well
    Shel
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    I wonder how everyone is doing? The thread seems quiet these days. When nothing is happening, I imagine a lot is going on. Life never stands still.
    Hope all is well
    Shel

Hi!
    I'm doing well today and yesterday. I didn't sleep at all last week and it was a very bad week but then I started doing acupuncture and it really helped so far. Of course it's only two sessions in but I hope I will keep having benefits from it. I'm feeling hopeful.

I hope everyone else is having a great week.

Misty
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    Hope all is well
    Shel

I was away from MFP for a while because I wasn't doing so well. I came back when I was still very down, not sleeping, constantly anxious, crying a lot, not completing my assignments. and eating a lot. Especially junk food. I forced myself to log "no matter what" so I could see exactly what I was doing to myself.

I don't know if that helped or it was just time but I managed to start eating less and more healthily again a couple days ago. I'm still worried about how the missed & incomplete assignments will impact my grade & overal gpa, but I'm trying to just focus on what I can do. I'm trying to pull myself out of it, and be more active. I'm trying to tell the part of me that thinks I'm worthless trash that it's wrong, and I deserve kindness and not to self sabotage everything because of my failures. It's been a very loud part of me lately, so I'm trying to at least argue back.

I hope you're doing well
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've just been busy but doing pretty well. medicine side effects are going away and it helps a lot
  • queenscorpio73
    queenscorpio73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Why I am eating marshmallows this week. I seem to move from one type of bad food to another. I wonder if you have ever thought that we tend to sabotage our success and/or we just cannot maintain consistency. Is this depressed thinking or just lack of discipline. The results of weight gain can be depressing; not necessarily in a mental health sense but more in the idea that overweight people make really bad choices. Deliberately?
    What do you think?

That's exactly the reason why I'm trolling the threads. To find answers to this question. Mine's not depression, more like anxiety. Are we subconsciously and deliberately sabotaging ourselves? I think our minds go into a defensive mode when we start ignoring how it copes by not eating impulsively or cutting out comfort/trigger food. I'm trying to treat my body like a machine and totally detaching myself from any emotional aspect of eating. No more"not in the mood" for ANYTHING that involves eating until I get a grip, I don't get that luxury. My brain invents scenarios that have never happened, I over react, I get angry easily. All so my body can eat a hash brown sandwich? No more of this bull!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I moved into my boyfriend's place yesterday, so been busy. doing alright. things have been good between us. my eating's been all over the place though, and as a result my weight's been all over the place. super annoying. need to get back on schedule and make myself stick to eating lower calorie stuff even if my boyfriend wants to eat different food.
  • 68myra
    Options
    Hey Everyone,
    Hope all is well
    Shel
    I'm hanging in there. some days better than others. true, life never stands still. I'm trying to accept it as it comes, and face reality rather than deny it. some days are better than others ;)

@moyer566 I'm glad the side effects are going away
    @ObsidianMist I'm glad things are good with your boyfriend. i understand the difficulty of eating what is good for your body when those around you are not ;)
    @kae612 welcome back! I hope the recent trend of turning things around continues for you.
    @yourhiddengem I'm so happy to hear that acupuncture is helping you. it's one of the few things i have not yet tried. i hope that continues for you too.
  • rmntrose2
    rmntrose2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started antidepressants about 6 weeks ago, and though I have known for a long time that I needed to lose weight, it took a stomach bug to kick start my weight loss and the antidepressants to kick in for me to actually care enough again to keep it going. Depression definitely makes things hard.
  • ClaudiaSchmidt24
    Options
    I struggle with depression and I have digestive issues such as being lactose intolerant. My doctor put me on an elimination diet and that really helped. My overall mood is better, my acne has cleared and my stomach doesn't hurt as much. If you do it for about 2-3 weeks without exercising you can lose around a total of 11 pounds. Basically, you don't eat beef, shellfish, peanuts, sugars, soda, dairy, grains and soy. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Candida diet can be beneficial for all sorts of health issues as well as mental well being. Ive also just read a very interesting article on direct links between lithium levels in the body and its relation to mental health. I am medicated for depression (prozac) but feel strongly that everything in nature has an antidote and am exploring other ways to support my mental health. Every day is a new day and a fresh start... good luck with your journey, the support on here is fantastic.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    We are all on the Titanic. With no lifeboats. Every single one of us is going to die. But how do you want to live? How much happiness can you have eating yourself into immobility? Huffing and puffing up stairs? Never jumping in the pool or going for a long hike or going out dancing? Disliking the person you see in the mirror?

Weigh that against the joy of stuffing your face and make your decision. Pun most definitely intended.

Some people will dislike who they see in the mirror regardless of weight, this is actually an incredibly hurtful statement for someone who is living with depression or body dysmorphia. To suggest that losing weight would cure depression and suddenly make a life you find worthwhile is harmful thinking. More often than not, the "joy" in "stuffing [ones] face" is not at all a joy.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    tinger12 wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Take vitamin B complex and fish oil. No more depression.

If it was that simple I would have recovered from my life long depression 30 years ago. Garbage science is just garbage.

It is true that those alone will not outright cure depression, but I have noticed improved symptoms on a series of supplements (won't go into detail, what works for me may not work for others). I have actually managed to drop a couple pounds for the first time in over a year without a crash diet, and I'm finding more energy which was always the worst symptom of my depression: constant fatigue. Now with more energy I can actually manage a 20-30 minute walk every couple of days. I'm seeing some improvements, especially in my level of positivity toward the future. Just saying, they may be worth a try if you don't eat a super balanced diet, I know I don't!

The science isn't garbage, just lacking. Not a ton of studies, not a lot done with large enough sample groups. One if the supplements I'm trying only showed clinical promise in ONE study but there simply wasn't a repeat done. It was found to be equally as helpful as an SSRI I recently decided wasn't helping me enough. There is indeed a lot of bad info and bad supplements out there, just wanted to give my two cents.