Depression and Weight Loss

Replies

• ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »
    anyone currently on Lexapro?

Everyone I know who's taken Lexapro has been tired all the time and gained weight.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    68myra wrote: »
    I'm feeling a bit better, the weather is finally getting nice here which helps a ton, lots of sunshine! also finally started doing stronglifts and really enjoying going to the gym again and actually working towards something. however I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about changing my meds next time I see her which is extremely nerve wracking since the seroquel works pretty well for me. if only I wasn't in a relationship so that my lack of a sex drive wasn't an issue. sigh.

I'm with you there, sister. I'm back on a drug I gave up on over five years ago because of the sexual side effects. desperate times...... I hope you have an understanding partner.

he..... is not very understanding actually. he makes comments about how long it's been since we last had sex and it really pisses me off but he doesn't seem to care. it actually irritates the *kitten* out of me. and go figure he does it whenever the topic of sex comes up which generally means I was actually thinking about maybe having sex and then he goes and ruins it with a rude comment and doesn't believe that I might actually have been interested for a moment there.

Yep 1000x to the bolded. Sometimes I can handle his little "jokes," but sometimes it sends me reeling. I often think how hard it must be to be married to me. But he keeps hanging in there. It's tough for both of us. We just muddle through. It's worth it to both of us. He's my best friend.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    fyi: i had no sexual side effects with brintellix. it just didn't alieviate my depression enough. might work for you?

I've actually never heard of that. what class of drug is it?
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2016
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you taking the Seroquel for depression or bipolar? I take Wellbutrin for depression and have no sexual side effects. It being a little speedy works well for me. I did have sexual side effects with Zoloft.

I have borderline personality disorder and major depressive disorder. I've been on wellbutrin before but it made me insanely shaky and gave me tinnitus and I stayed on it for 11 weeks with no sign of either side effect going away so I went off it. according to the internet, seroquel is one of the worst antipsychotics for sexual side effects. I also believe it's part of the reason for my weight gain so that's another good reason to try something else. I might talk to my doctor about trying a mood stabilizer.

Jumping in because I have borderline personality disorder as well (I also have depression and some other things but anyway).

I just started Zoloft and really it didn't bring any sexual side effects, except maybe now I'm more willing to have sex without dealing with my depression, borderline personality disorder, and other junk. My appetite has died though a lot. Like I only eat a small bowl of soup or cereal for the day and I rather not want to eat anything else. Instead I've been forcing myself to eat enough to satisfy my calorie count but at the same time I'm kind of shrugging it off too since I ate a lot when depressed so I don't mind this helping me stop.

I'm also less stressed on Zoloft and I'm not getting as easily angered as I used to, it's like it mellowed me out a lot and it's allowing me to want to work out more too. It's helping me sleep better at night as well.

Downsides so far: I'm still feeling nausea and I'm sleepy all the time now too. So I tend to take it at night right before I go to bed to sleep through the worse of the side effects.

Really though look into some of the most common SSRIs to help. Zoloft and Prozac are the most known but there's many others that can help you too.
    fyi: i had no sexual side effects with brintellix. it just didn't alieviate my depression enough. might work for you?

Brintellix is an SSRI. (Sorry for jumping in but yeah).
  • I'm severely bipolar, my main problem is my manic episodes but the depressive episodes I do have are severe as well. I have been battling weight over the years and meds do not help. Currently on Lithium, Celexa, and Lamictal. I am worried about weight gain now that my Lithium was doubled recently due to my mania spiraling out again
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Well, hello everyone and my apologies for the long absence. I really have not fulfilled my duties as the thread operator but you know, this thread obviously has such amazing participants, my role is rather superfluous. Nevertheless, it is good to be back as I start my renewed commitment to healthy body-healthy mind. I have noticed the most recent mentions of antidepressants and effects. Having been prescribed both Zoloft and Lexapro I can say from my personal experiences that for me antidepressants had the impact of me still having depression but not caring that nothing mattered. For a short period of time, that orientation helped me manage some of the darker, unhelpful thoughts that moved in and out of my awareness. At least the scary thought lost their pow. But....over time I did not like the feeling of not feeling. So.. I actively chose the road less travelled and started to engage in the study of my depression and became aware of what was creating/maintaining it.
    1. Lack of exercise and leathery
    2. Fear of taking risks and keeping myself safe
    3. Avoiding relationships and conflicts
    4. Feeling that I was not connected to people and I was a burden ("waste of space")
    5. Feeling that nothing could help me feel better

What I started to do at the invitation of a mentor/therapist was diminish my reliance on my own thought processes and decided that I was going to create new patterns for myself:

1. Establish regular exercise routines and eat better
    2. Set new goals and new projects for myself
    3. Reconnect to friends and family members
    4. Work out in a "problem-soliving" manner the issues with my life and embrace the journey rather than be afraid of it.

The process did not change my thoughts/feelings for about 6 months but I started to notice incremental changes and shifts in mood a little at a time. I started to feel better about myself and looked forward to some parts of my day. I even started to lose weight.

I am still remaining loyal to these principles and strategies although I still have my ups and downs. But that is life. No-one is perfect. Well, no-one has ever accused me of being perfect. So I can be acceptable just the way I am.
    I am ready to renew my commitment to good eating and healthy living and see where it takes me.
    I will be utilizing our thread again to share and learn.
    Thank you for listening.

Shel
    (A work in progress)
  • ObsidianMist
    ArcticSero wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you taking the Seroquel for depression or bipolar? I take Wellbutrin for depression and have no sexual side effects. It being a little speedy works well for me. I did have sexual side effects with Zoloft.

I have borderline personality disorder and major depressive disorder. I've been on wellbutrin before but it made me insanely shaky and gave me tinnitus and I stayed on it for 11 weeks with no sign of either side effect going away so I went off it. according to the internet, seroquel is one of the worst antipsychotics for sexual side effects. I also believe it's part of the reason for my weight gain so that's another good reason to try something else. I might talk to my doctor about trying a mood stabilizer.

Jumping in because I have borderline personality disorder as well (I also have depression and some other things but anyway).

I just started Zoloft and really it didn't bring any sexual side effects, except maybe now I'm more willing to have sex without dealing with my depression, borderline personality disorder, and other junk. My appetite has died though a lot. Like I only eat a small bowl of soup or cereal for the day and I rather not want to eat anything else. Instead I've been forcing myself to eat enough to satisfy my calorie count but at the same time I'm kind of shrugging it off too since I ate a lot when depressed so I don't mind this helping me stop.

I'm also less stressed on Zoloft and I'm not getting as easily angered as I used to, it's like it mellowed me out a lot and it's allowing me to want to work out more too. It's helping me sleep better at night as well.

Downsides so far: I'm still feeling nausea and I'm sleepy all the time now too. So I tend to take it at night right before I go to bed to sleep through the worse of the side effects.

Really though look into some of the most common SSRIs to help. Zoloft and Prozac are the most known but there's many others that can help you too.

Brintellix is an SSRI. (Sorry for jumping in but yeah).

I was originally tried on an SSRI and then an SNRI and both made me extremely suicidal. a lot of people with bpd don't tolerate antidepressants well.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    why do i think that it doesnt matter which med you take, you will gain weight regardless
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member

it's a "newer" SSRI. i thought the following article gave an interesting explanation:
    https://www.statnews.com/2016/02/02/antidepressant-may-not-better-cheaper-alternatives-demand-soon-skyrocket/

@ArticSero: feel free to jump in anytime!
  • 68myra
    raven56706 wrote: »
    why do i think that it doesnt matter which med you take, you will gain weight regardless

it does seem that way, but in MY experience, it hasn't been so. the drugs might make me retain a little fluid, but nothing more than what fluctuating hormones already do. I've been on many antidepressants (not the MAOI's) and they have never had an effect on CICO for me. for those of you who gain weight on meds, PLEASE don't misunderstand me.... i know that everyone is different. i just wanted to share my own experience with them regarding weight gain. (untreated depression makes me gain weight, but it's because of what i eat in a desperate attempt to feel better)
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    I am currently on Brintellix and it has helped to control my OCD, depression, and general anxiety issues. Brintellix is an SSRI that targets 5 different receptions in the serotonin section of the brain. So it is like a serotonin carpet bomb. I have not had any noticeable side effects from it either.
  • 68myra
    Well, hello everyone and my apologies for the long absence. I really have not fulfilled my duties as the thread operator but you know, this thread obviously has such amazing participants, my role is rather superfluous. Nevertheless, it is good to be back as I start my renewed commitment to healthy body-healthy mind. I have noticed the most recent mentions of antidepressants and effects. Having been prescribed both Zoloft and Lexapro I can say from my personal experiences that for me antidepressants had the impact of me still having depression but not caring that nothing mattered. For a short period of time, that orientation helped me manage some of the darker, unhelpful thoughts that moved in and out of my awareness. At least the scary thought lost their pow. But....over time I did not like the feeling of not feeling. So.. I actively chose the road less travelled and started to engage in the study of my depression and became aware of what was creating/maintaining it.
    1. Lack of exercise and leathery
    2. Fear of taking risks and keeping myself safe
    3. Avoiding relationships and conflicts
    4. Feeling that I was not connected to people and I was a burden ("waste of space")
    5. Feeling that nothing could help me feel better

What I started to do at the invitation of a mentor/therapist was diminish my reliance on my own thought processes and decided that I was going to create new patterns for myself:

1. Establish regular exercise routines and eat better
    2. Set new goals and new projects for myself
    3. Reconnect to friends and family members
    4. Work out in a "problem-soliving" manner the issues with my life and embrace the journey rather than be afraid of it.

The process did not change my thoughts/feelings for about 6 months but I started to notice incremental changes and shifts in mood a little at a time. I started to feel better about myself and looked forward to some parts of my day. I even started to lose weight.

I am still remaining loyal to these principles and strategies although I still have my ups and downs. But that is life. No-one is perfect. Well, no-one has ever accused me of being perfect. So I can be acceptable just the way I am.
    I am ready to renew my commitment to good eating and healthy living and see where it takes me.
    I will be utilizing our thread again to share and learn.
    Thank you for listening.

Shel
    (A work in progress)

Hiya, fellow work in progress!

I, personally, was unaware of any "duties" associated with starting a thread...... but i'm very happy to see you here! I'm smiling, in fact. so, yay. :smile:
  • stretchingreality
    stretchingreality Posts: 124 Member
    Long 5 hour walks in the countryside puts me in a calm meditive state plus the vitimins from from God. ... sorry the sun help refill seretonine levels, it really helps with weight loss and looking your best can help you feel your best.

I hope you win.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I've been having good days, truly happy days so to crash hurts. and i've crashed. I'm having one of those-cry at anything day. hate those days, feel so out of control. usually i can talk myself out of it but today is more spirally
  • 68myra
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I've been having good days, truly happy days so to crash hurts. and i've crashed. I'm having one of those-cry at anything day. hate those days, feel so out of control. usually i can talk myself out of it but today is more spirally

Sorry to hear that moyer. Even more sorry I have not been checking the board. I hope things have improved for you by now.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Hey tribe,
    Well. I don't just fall of the wagon, I fall under it. Weight gain, depression, anxiety and self loathing. But......I'm back again to face you and the Phoenix rises again. Welcome back to Mt Everest. Anyone want to join me on the climb? I want my life ....with a strong healthy body. It can't be that hard. One day at a time. One step at a time.
    I'm glad to be back
    Humbled but not discounted
    Shel
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Just checking in as the big D gets me pretty hard at times. Wait, that sounds wrong. I'm losing weight to help my depression, but I had to help my depression in order to lose weight. So I'm kind of doing both at the same time.
  • ObsidianMist
    One day at a time. One step at a time.

exactly! keep on soldiering. you have it in you to do this!
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight to help my depression, but I had to help my depression in order to lose weight. So I'm kind of doing both at the same time.

it's a vicious cycle. awesome to find a healthy balance though. best of luck!

things have actually been kind of stable for me the last few weeks. things aren't falling apart every other day, or even every week. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. blowup imminent. I guess that means I should take some kind of preventative action. hopefully the weather cooperates and we can take the kid out to the park or something. need more sunshine.

hope everyone's taking care of themselves.
  • its_laura_btw
    its_laura_btw Posts: 48 Member
    Ever since I started MFP I've been in a great mood. But today I had a breakdown, while I was on the treadmill. Mind you, I hate the treadmill, and I'm a bit down about not appearing to lose weight and I think I just lost it.
    Depression sabotaged my weight loss last time I succeeded and I don't want it to happen again. Finally losing the weight would give me so much more confidence in myself, and I'd probably have more energy to do things, so I'm determined not to fail.
    One day at a time for both weight loss and depression, but damn, these days are really dragging on.
    It's nice to see I'm not the only one here who's struggling, well, I wish you weren't struggling but you know what I mean!
  • 68myra
    Hey tribe,
    Well. I don't just fall of the wagon, I fall under it. Weight gain, depression, anxiety and self loathing. But......I'm back again to face you and the Phoenix rises again. Welcome back to Mt Everest. Anyone want to join me on the climb? I want my life ....with a strong healthy body. It can't be that hard. One day at a time. One step at a time.
    I'm glad to be back
    Humbled but not discounted
    Shel
    I would like to join you on the climb! I've been in a rut, and i deserve better. (omg, did i just THINK that?)
    Myra