February Running Challenge

1404142434446»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Mental note (since I haven't really been "in" one of these threads much- I'm deeply impressed by how much milage you guys log- I know some of you are runners- like hard core- I haven't really payed attention to how much it adds up!!! Kudos to you all :) You make me want to run more (it's not going to happen- but LOL- I still want to!!!)
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited March 2015
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    What an awesome group of runners we have! Great job to everyone who met their goals and everyone who attempted to get out there and get it done. February was a rough month for injuries, illness and weather, but everyone rocked it! Looking forward to seeing how everyone does in March.

Skip and I went to Fleet Feet today, I had a coupon that was going to expire and a $120 gift card from my awesome boss. No matter what else I put on my feet I always come back to my Brooks Glycerin 12 love them. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow.

wnrj28hd0axo.jpg

I bought the brooks adrenaline 15 (seem tight around the mid foot after a few miles) to replace my brooks ravena <3. Im going to geting a pair of the ghost or glycerin since I'm not sold on the adrenaline. So I can't wait to see your March miles and hear how much you love the shoe!

Funny you mention that. I was put in the Adrenaline (after problems with the Ghost) and am always trying to replace. them. I was thinking of the Revena....
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    What an awesome group of runners we have! Great job to everyone who met their goals and everyone who attempted to get out there and get it done. February was a rough month for injuries, illness and weather, but everyone rocked it! Looking forward to seeing how everyone does in March.

Skip and I went to Fleet Feet today, I had a coupon that was going to expire and a $120 gift card from my awesome boss. No matter what else I put on my feet I always come back to my Brooks Glycerin 12 love them. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow.

wnrj28hd0axo.jpg

I bought the brooks adrenaline 15 (seem tight around the mid foot after a few miles) to replace my brooks ravena <3. Im going to geting a pair of the ghost or glycerin since I'm not sold on the adrenaline. So I can't wait to see your March miles and hear how much you love the shoe!

Funny you mention that. I was put in the Adrenaline (after problems with the Ghost) and am always trying to replace. it. I was thinking of the Revena....

I read that the adrenaline 11-14 weren't the best. I had the 13 and abandoned them after maybe 50 miles. These 15's seem better, and the reviews say they are much more like the earlier Adrenalines, which were sound shoes that had great reviews.

I've had calf pain with the lower drop of the pureflow2 (4drop?). The ravena were perfect for me, 10mm drop, adrenaline are 12 and I'm hesitant to change the drop. Really would have gone with another pair of the ravenas, but real shoe store was closed and husband was adimate that we were finding shoes. So wasn't a running store, limited choices.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

wnrj28hd0axo.jpg

Funny you mention that. I was put in the Adrenaline (after problems with the Ghost) and am always trying to replace. it. I was thinking of the Revena....

I read that the adrenaline 11-14 weren't the best. I had the 13 and abandoned them after maybe 50 miles. These 15's seem better, and the reviews say they are much more like the earlier Adrenalines, which were sound shoes that had great reviews.

I've had calf pain with the lower drop of the pureflow2 (4drop?). The ravena were perfect for me, 10mm drop, adrenaline are 12 and I'm hesitant to change the drop. Really would have gone with another pair of the ravenas, but real shoe store was closed and husband was adimate that we were finding shoes. So wasn't a running store, limited choices.

I tried the Ghost on too, a lot of the boys on Skip's XC team switched to them. They felt exactly the same to me as the Glycerin so I stuck with what I know.
  • gabbo34

wnrj28hd0axo.jpg

I LOVED the Ghost model. It's what I learned to run in, logged a ton of miles. But I always had sore ankles/arches the next day. Turns out I pronate too much for a neutral shoe.

I've tolerated the Adrenaline, but they don't feel nearly as good as the Ghosts. I took a good form running class here recently and have been trying to move to a midfoot strike..which a lower drop than the Adrenalines would help. That's why I thought the Ravenas may have been a good fit.

It may just be hard to find a support shoe that feels as good as the Ghost..which seems like it is a very good all around shoe.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member

wnrj28hd0axo.jpg

I LOVED the Ghost model. It's what I learned to run in, logged a ton of miles. But I always had sore ankles/arches the next day. Turns out I pronate too much for a neutral shoe.

I've tolerated the Adrenaline, but they don't feel nearly as good as the Ghosts. I took a good form running class here recently and have been trying to move to a midfoot strike..which a lower drop than the Adrenalines would help. That's why I thought the Ravenas may have been a good fit.

It may just be hard to find a support shoe that feels as good as the Ghost..which seems like it is a very good all around shoe.

Brooks Ghost 6 is what Im running in now, can't say enough good things about this model. I'm pretty confident they should have been retired about 150 miles ago :) But I just can't let them go yet... I hear Ghost 7 is pretty much the same model, different color design. So I'll be getting those in the very near future.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Mental note (since I haven't really been "in" one of these threads much- I'm deeply impressed by how much milage you guys log- I know some of you are runners- like hard core- I haven't really payed attention to how much it adds up!!! Kudos to you all :) You make me want to run more (it's not going to happen- but LOL- I still want to!!!)

@JoRocka Funny! I love to run, but you don't build muscles by running.
    I see your beautiful definition and think must lift more weights.

• fabnine

wnrj28hd0axo.jpg

@gabbo34 Danny Dreyer, the Chi Running author suggests that pronation is caused by unbalanced abductor musculature & can be corrected with proper running form. Here's an interesting video explanation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBBAxIBGRw
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Ya, now I gotta trade these Adrenalines for the Ghost. I really need to do a gait analysis, or like @Runningmischka‌ take a good form class some where. I know I have imbalances (haven't watched the video yet). Here's my work shoes.

20150301_123006_zpsfdsnrxca.jpg
  • gabbo34
    @fabnine‌ , thanks the video, good stuff! I really want to get my form corrected so I can get back to the shoes I loved....
  • fabnine
    edited March 2015
    oops March not February :#

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

@JoRocka stick around with us and we will make you into a runner yet. ;-)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @stoshew7 - I noticed the March challenge is under Introductions. But as long as we know where it is! I remember there is a way to save a group or thread as your favorite but I haven't done it in a while.

@ddmom0811 and everyone else. Thanks to @Carsonruns next month's challenge is in it's rightful place back into Fitness and Exercise. Thanks again for pointing this out @ddmom0811

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@JoRocka stick around with us and we will make you into a runner yet. ;-)

grrrrrr kicks rocks!

maybe. <giggle>
    It's possible- I bought a winter running beanie today.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    4eowosdpetpj.png

This was my running partner this past weekend. I didn't make my Feb goal; cross between unusually cold days that I haven't taught my lungs to cope with (yet) - neighbors who refuse to de-ice their sidewalks, and well it was even too cold for our horse to get out.

But, I did get out and run and that was a lot more than I did last feb (I didn't run at all). Small strides, I'm getting there. One step after the other.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    2/1 - 3 miles
    2/3 - 3 miles
    2/4 - 2.7 miles (tempo run)
    2/5 - 3 miles
    2/7 - 6 miles
    2/8 - 3 miles
    2/11 - 5 miles (speed work)
    2/12 - 3.5 miles
    2/13 - 3 miles @ -7 degrees!
    2/15 - 3.1 miles, IceCube 5k, -10 w/ -28 windchill
    2/16 - 3 miles
    2/17 - 3.5 miles
    2/18 - 3.2 miles (tempo run)
    2/21 - 5 miles, Cross Timbers Trail 5 mile Run
    2/24 - 3 miles
    2/25 - 4 miles
    2/26 - 5.5 miles (speed work)
    2/28 - 3 miles

I was a little short of my goal. I switched from the 10k to the 5k for one race (crazy wind chills) and took and extra rest day after my trail race. Still a good month, though. Hoping March brings warmer temps!

exercise.png

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    1 - 5mi, race/pacing
    2 - Birthday, rest day
    3 - 8mi, fast finish
    4 - 10mi, easy
    5 - 9mi, 8x800m (Yasso 800s) at 6:40min/mi
    6 - 8.2mi, easy
    7 - 19.7mi, long/last 8 w/girl
    8 - Rest
    9 - 5mi, easy
    10 - 11.3mi, easy, doubles 8.3+3
    11 - 10mi, easy
    12 - 6mi, pyramid speed day
    13 - 9mi, easy, doubles 6+3
    14 - 6.3, 3.2mi, easy, + 5k race
    15 - Rest
    16 - 5mi, easy
    17 - 8mi, easy
    18 - 12mi, easy
    19 - 8mi, intervals (8x600M @6:00 pace, 200M rests)
    20 - 7mi, easy
    21 - 7mi, easy
    22 - 18mi, long/fast finish @MP
    23 - 5mi, easy
    24 - 8mi, easy
    25 - 11mi, easy w/fast finish
    26 - 9mi, 3x 2mi repeats @HM pace (6:50)
    27 - 7.2mi, easy
    28 - 12mi, easy

Feb Goal: 200mi

Total: 225
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Hard to follow a poster with 225 miles in February. Very impressive. I'm glad to say I will never run that many miles again in a month (half of that is about average) but always pleased when others can do what I once could.

It took until the last day of February but I was able to end up with 107 miles and 16 runs. Total workouts were 21, which was short, but then again in 28 days, probably to be expected. This was a very tough month injury and pain wise but I'm managing as best I can. A new pair of shoes that I bought a week ago is probably going to help as I transition out of an older pair of Pegasus.

Good luck to everyone as we get into warmer weather and 31 days. Unless you are in the tax business (like I am), March is a great month.
  • Whtmask
    Whtmask Posts: 219 Member
    fabnine wrote: »

@Whtmask You ran 95 miles past your goal for a total of (*) 235.5 miles (*) That's fierce. I'll admit it, I'm a little jealous. Can't wait to see what you'll run next.

@fabnine‌ Thanks!!! You're doing awesome too!! :D Let's do even better in March!