So, I'm doing a cleanse tomorrow....don't try and stop me

Replies

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    No..it's not just a fart. Okay, I'm laughing as I type this.
    Went through the same thing in June. I stayed within 5 feet of the toilet.
    I felt so light and empty after the procedure. ;)
    In reality...it wasn't nearly as horrible as I'd been led to believe.
  • jmoorman83
    jmoorman83 Posts: 17 Member
    LizN63 wrote: »
    jmoorman83 wrote: »
    The refillable ketchup/mustard bottles you buy at Walmart (picnic stuff) make awesome peri washers :blush:
    Make sure you wash the bottles out properly first. :'(
    Lol the empty kind you put your own in at home. Wish I could post pics from my phone.

• jmoorman83
    jmoorman83 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2015
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    My husband has a family history of colon cancer- especially on the men's side and he has had to get a colonoscopy every five years since he was 30 (he is now 50). The best part for me is talking to him after he wakes up because they give him this short term memory loss drug and he keeps asking the same questions over and over, such as "did I go back there yet?" and "what did the doctor say?" I just keep answering them patiently. Colon cancer is what took his father and paternal grandfather- it's worth the test to catch it early and he's been lucky so far with only one bout of polyps that were removed. It's one of the slowest growing cancers too so if people would just get screened it could probably be avoided for many. His siblings won't get screened though and it makes him mad. His sister insists "my doctor says I don't need one." Well okay, she's 52 (which it's recommended that all people age 50 and over get one at least every 10 years) and she has a family history. Either her doctor is an idiot or she is a liar.

Good luck OP. And if you want a laugh, have someone video tape you talking afterwards, because you won't remember that conversation at all and you will ask the same questions over and over.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    pplastics wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone so much for the advice, and especially for the laughs!! No food day is going pretty well. About an hour away from toilet blast off....

Thanks again!!!!

So, what happened?!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    LizN63 wrote: »
    The refillable ketchup/mustard bottles you buy at Walmart (picnic stuff) make awesome peri washers :blush:
    Make sure you wash the bottles out properly first. :'(
    Lol the empty kind you put your own in at home. Wish I could post pics from my phone.

Hey, I've seen yellow mustard recommended for burns!! Maybe it would work here too :# .
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    2c4wmg48kueu.gif
    I suffered through the moviprep and Dave Barry described it perfectly. The worst part for me was finding out afterwards that my insurance didn't cover the anesthesia. Seriously? You expected me to be awake for that?

Glad I had it done though. They found a polyp which was easily removed during the colonoscopy.

While I waiting to go back, the alarm kept going off on the monitor because my heart rate was dropping below 50. The nurse said, "Do you exercise a lot?" Two years ago, my resting heart rate hovered around 100. All that running and cycling HAS paid off!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    My husband has a family history of colon cancer- especially on the men's side and he has had to get a colonoscopy every five years since he was 30 (he is now 50). The best part for me is talking to him after he wakes up because they give him this short term memory loss drug and he keeps asking the same questions over and over, such as "did I go back there yet?" and "what did the doctor say?" I just keep answering them patiently. Colon cancer is what took his father and paternal grandfather- it's worth the test to catch it early and he's been lucky so far with only one bout of polyps that were removed. It's one of the slowest growing cancers too so if people would just get screened it could probably be avoided for many. His siblings won't get screened though and it makes him mad. His sister insists "my doctor says I don't need one." Well okay, she's 52 (which it's recommended that all people age 50 and over get one at least every 10 years) and she has a family history. Either her doctor is an idiot or she is a liar.

Good luck OP. And if you want a laugh, have someone video tape you talking afterwards, because you won't remember that conversation at all and you will ask the same questions over and over.

So funny! I remember they gave me Saltines and they were THE BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD at that time.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    This has been an amazingly informative post...bless this post and everyone in it, tbh!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    There is something wrong with my taste buds. I liked the citro mag prep (lemon lime), and have had the occassional impulse to buy more and drink for fun...weird right? It didn't even work well. It took 10 hours to kick in.

The guy doing it kept commenting on how young I was (15 at the time). I really didn't want to hear about how he was perving over me during that. I couldn't control myself, and cried through the whole thing. It wasn't painful, just humilating....I know, I should have just put on my big-girl panties and dealt with it, but I am pretty wimpy that way.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    First time back at the computer....everything went smoothly, even the poo part. One polyp removed, so I'll probably be on the 5 year plan from what the doctor told me.

Weighed myself out of curiosity. Lost 4.5 pounds doing the "prep". Think I may have lost a pound in reality.

Everyone should have this done. The day/night before is not fun, but it is completely tolerable. Colonoscopy itself is absolutely easy....I remember seeing the medicine being put in my IV, then I opened my eyes and saw my husband sitting there.

So grateful for the advice about the wipes, reading materials, and butt cream.

I have two more pieces of advice to add with regards to the gut flush.....First, once the medicine kicks in, avoid bending over AT ALL COSTS!!!! Felt like I was turning into a human squirt gun!!!

Second, keep the bathroom as warm as possible. I couldn't stop shivering until the next morning. BRR!

Don't be afraid to have your gut checked!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    First time back at the computer....everything went smoothly, even the poo part. One polyp removed, so I'll probably be on the 5 year plan from what the doctor told me.

Weighed myself out of curiosity. Lost 4.5 pounds doing the "prep". Think I may have lost a pound in reality.

Everyone should have this done. The day/night before is not fun, but it is completely tolerable. Colonoscopy itself is absolutely easy....I remember seeing the medicine being put in my IV, then I opened my eyes and saw my husband sitting there.

So grateful for the advice about the wipes, reading materials, and butt cream.

I have two more pieces of advice to add with regards to the gut flush.....First, once the medicine kicks in, avoid bending over AT ALL COSTS!!!! Felt like I was turning into a human squirt gun!!!

Second, keep the bathroom as warm as possible. I couldn't stop shivering until the next morning. BRR!

Don't be afraid to have your gut checked!!

I am so glad things went well for you.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Glad to hear it all went well!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Woohoo! Happy to hear about the good news.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Glad to hear it all came out ok! ;):grin:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    pplastics wrote:
    Nothing but clear fluids, jello and popsicles. Then a couple doses of some icky gut flush medicine. Really think it will help with my weight loss goals!!!
    Well... maybe not. I'm having a colonoscopy/endoscopy Friday morning. (Woo Hoo!) Anyone else who's been through it have any advice?
    I think I'm as worried about pigging out for days after it's over as I am about the "forced elimination" part of the program.
    You won't pig out for days. Just go back to your regularly scheduled eating. :grinning:

The worst part for me was dreading the IV. I'm hard to start an IV on or draw blood from, so I asked for their most experienced person. That worked well. Took one try. Barely even hurt.

I realize this is a bit late, but advice:
    wear elastic-waist pants (you want to be able to get them out of the way _quickly_)
    get very soft TP or use a soft wet washcloth
    use witch hazel on a washcloth for the irritation
    don't go out of the house once you drink the stuff, for at least a couple hours (depending on what they give you)
    drink plenty of water, tea, water with Mio or Crystal Light, etc.
    schedule it for as early in the morning as you can
    don't take a sleeping pill the night before
    in recovery, kneel with your butt up & chest down to let more of the gas out; that makes the cramping less

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Nothing but clear fluids, jello and popsicles. Then a couple doses of some icky gut flush medicine. Really think it will help with my weight loss goals!!!

Well.....maybe not. I'm having a colonoscopy/endoscopy Friday morning. (Woo Hoo!) Anyone else who's been through it have any advice?

I think I'm as worried about pigging out for days after it's over as I am about the "forced elimination" part of the program.

You had it already, right?

I've been there. It's no fun . Kept me up all night. Next time I have to do this it's gonna be a late afternoon one.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Great to hear the good news/update. I've checked this thread a few times to see. Thanks also for your review on the whole process. This thread helped alleviate some of my fears for mine next month. Will definitely be stocking up on all the supplies to make the prep day an easier one.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Glad to hear all went well!
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2015
    kar328 wrote: »
    Great to hear the good news/update. I've checked this thread a few times to see. Thanks also for your review on the whole process. This thread helped alleviate some of my fears for mine next month. Will definitely be stocking up on all the supplies to make the prep day an easier one.

Going low fiber for a few days before helped out with the prep day. I was happy I took that advice! I couldn't imagine going through THAT with a lot of high fiber stuff to flush out. I went to this website here

Also....no need to fear! Easy peasy.