So, I'm doing a cleanse tomorrow....don't try and stop me

Replies

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    When my hubs turned 50 and I took him for his colonoscopy, I was 41. I was told that the new technology being developed to screen for colon cancer would be a simple body scan and it should be available by the time I turn 50 (I'm 44 now). I'm sure hoping this is true!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Glad it went well. :) My husband has one tomorrow. Was supposed to be in December...he did all the prep, showed up, and got this line: "Oh...didn't someone call you? Yeah, that's been rescheduled for February." :| Oops!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am tickled that you came back to report. This was an entertaining thread, for sure! Total win.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    I'm glad to hear that all is well with you. This thread will have helped many people I'm sure with all the fantastic advice, and good laughs along the way.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Thanks for the update, hopefully the crazies won't see that you can lose almost 5lbs so quickly. They'll want to know if it's "safe" and where they can buy some "Gut Flush" so they can rock their bikini's at Spring Break, YOLO!
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Glad it went well. :) My husband has one tomorrow. Was supposed to be in December...he did all the prep, showed up, and got this line: "Oh...didn't someone call you? Yeah, that's been rescheduled for February." :| Oops!

I had a nightmare the night after my procedure that this happened....I could not imagine having it happen for real! I would have been furious! I probably would have thrown a fit and told them to find me a doctor who would do it now.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, hopefully the crazies won't see that you can lose almost 5lbs so quickly. They'll want to know if it's "safe" and where they can buy some "Gut Flush" so they can rock their bikini's at Spring Break, YOLO!

Hope they would read on to realize that going through all that mess maybe.....maybe lost 1 pound. Probably after a week will fluctuate more.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    pplastics wrote: »
    First time back at the computer....everything went smoothly, even the poo part. One polyp removed, so I'll probably be on the 5 year plan from what the doctor told me.

Weighed myself out of curiosity. Lost 4.5 pounds doing the "prep". Think I may have lost a pound in reality.

Everyone should have this done. The day/night before is not fun, but it is completely tolerable. Colonoscopy itself is absolutely easy....I remember seeing the medicine being put in my IV, then I opened my eyes and saw my husband sitting there.

So grateful for the advice about the wipes, reading materials, and butt cream.

I have two more pieces of advice to add with regards to the gut flush.....First, once the medicine kicks in, avoid bending over AT ALL COSTS!!!! Felt like I was turning into a human squirt gun!!!

Second, keep the bathroom as warm as possible. I couldn't stop shivering until the next morning. BRR!

Don't be afraid to have your gut checked!!

Ah, I see your reported back. I'm glad things went well for you. I remember shivering a lot too, and being up all night. But, after the procedure was done, I slept like a baby!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    kar328 wrote: »
    Great to hear the good news/update. I've checked this thread a few times to see. Thanks also for your review on the whole process. This thread helped alleviate some of my fears for mine next month. Will definitely be stocking up on all the supplies to make the prep day an easier one.

Going low fiber for a few days before helped out with the prep day. I was happy I took that advice! I couldn't imagine going through THAT with a lot of high fiber stuff to flush out. I went to this website here

Also....no need to fear! Easy peasy.

Thanks for the link for the low fiber foods. I'm so glad I'm doing this on my stay-cation.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member

oh no!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    kar328 wrote: »
    Great to hear the good news/update. I've checked this thread a few times to see. Thanks also for your review on the whole process. This thread helped alleviate some of my fears for mine next month. Will definitely be stocking up on all the supplies to make the prep day an easier one.

Going low fiber for a few days before helped out with the prep day. I was happy I took that advice! I couldn't imagine going through THAT with a lot of high fiber stuff to flush out. I went to this website here

Also....no need to fear! Easy peasy.

@pplastics thanks for the update and the link too! :)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    There is another cream called "Bag Balm" that is good to apply to areas affected. It comes in a colorful green tin with cows on it...so its kind of funky.....but if you are having procedures done its a GOD SEND.
  • kar328
    I'm making a list of all these goodies to buy. I may have to stagger all the butt creams/balms/wipes into multiple shopping trips lest the cashier think I'm into some weird stuff.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    oh my remedy can be put in the "I have a herd of milking cows and I need this".... hahaha
  • kar328
    ~~~~ Reviving a thread from last month since I posted on it then as well. Just wanted to say thanks to all for the tips and especially the laughter. Did my dreaded first colonoscopy today and survived. There was one little area to biopsy but it's not a polyp, so I'm supposed to be okay to continue the ten year regimen.

Had the Gatorade/Miralax prep and I won't be drinking lemon lime Gatorade any time soon. It's weird to see that color emerging from your body. But overall, the prep itself was nowhere near as bad as my little brain had been imagining. Neither was the procedure. I was pleasantly loopy but stayed awake and checked out what was on the screen. No pain, no humiliation, no bad stuff. So anyone reading this who is overdue, please make an appt. I'm a wimp and it wasn't bad at all.

And the ribeye steak at TGIF's on the way home was soooooo good. :smiley: