Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Finally, that unexpected day off paid off, I increased my loads on all three lifts from Workout A. But on the other side, inspired by @crabada and @korkador, I tried to do good mornings, and... yish... I was not able to bend. At all. It was ridiculous and slightly uncomfortable how I was not able to complete the move. That would be something to practice at home with a broomstick and hubby to push me down somehow. I was a little bit shy.

Workout A today

Warmup: 13 minutes biking

Goodmornings: I managed to do about 4 of them, but, like halfway down.

Squats: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 1x5 @ 100, 5x5 @ 120. 120 felt really heavy, and some sets were really hard. I probably jumped there too fast, I did 115 only two times. I will stay at 120 all week for sure.

Pendlay rows: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 5x5 @ 65. Those were not too heavy, but I felt them. It was nice, my form is improving.

Bench: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 5x5 @ 65. Woah. I jumped at 65 after succeeding at 60 only one time. I did it, but all 5th rep were almost failure, so I will have to repeat for sure.

I didn't have time to other accessory work today.

@psych101 I'm so stoke when you talk about your loads! Congrats on that DL. :)

@dawnembers so, how do you like NROLW up to now?

@xcalygrl that's a hell of a workout! Good job!

@crabada I hope you'll feel better. You managed a great workout!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I'd stick to just three days a week. Your body grows stronger and recovers on the days when you don't lift (even if you're lifting lighter weights). Plus, rest days give your CNS a break from lifting. As you progress, you will need the rest days, so it's better to get in the habit now of taking them.

Thanks @xcalygrl. I have a small frame. My top half is small, and I carry ALL my fat/weight between my hips and knees. About a year and half ago I tried the “cure all cardio” (Insanity) and the results were horrible, totally ruined my body composition, my top half (including face) looked skeletal and the area from my hips to knees became skinny/fat. I’ve gained all the weight back, so now I’m trying a different approach…wish I knew then what I know now.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    @canadianlbs Kelly Starret is actually one of the guys that are making crossfit safer by teaching proper mechanics and ways to get better ROM on lifts where being restricted can be dangerous.

sure. i'm not questioning his knowledge, but i like a more linear explanation of things with a lot more pedantic mechanical specifics about what i'm doing and how come it works. i've watched quite a bit of his stuff but i tend to find myself following along without any real understanding of what i'm really achieving with it. other than pain, which seems to excite him too much.
  • canadianlbs
    giusa wrote: »
    Or should I stick to the 3 days...or squats without weights...??? Thinking out loud but would welcome input…

i like to do bodyweight versions of whatever is on my mind most on some of my off days. but really not so much in a way that i'd count as a 'rep'. i'm just exploring and practicing little bits of the form. as far as i know it hasn't harmed me ;)

guess my main guideline is: on workout days it should feel like i 'work'. on rest days i can still do stuff, but it should not feel like work.

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Such awesome workouts going on ladies!

Thanks for the kind words @katro111, @psych101, and @threnjen! Trying to be patient. This back stuff is no joke!

I did get out for a long walk on Sunday while the kids were napping. Managed 3.2mi in 47min. I have a 5k this coming Sunday so I wanted to make sure I could do it.
    Came home and stretched and foam rolled as much as I could handle.

Will be walking again tonight while oldest daughter is at dance class.

You are all so inspiring! Cant wait to pick up some heavy things (other than my kids) soon :-)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    @DaivaSimone‌ - So far, NROLFW is okay. It was nice to change things up a bit and do a few different lifts. Still not a fan of the swiss ball or crunches but that's okay. Stage 2 will be interesting with the standing on flattish box for deadlifts. The rep range still feels weird cause I've always done 3x8 for accessories and felt odd to do more reps on the bigger moves, though maybe I need to bump up the accessory reps. Though I don't remember the rep or set ranges we had to do in the college class back during my first year *getting old*. I almost miss rows and might add them in as I have one day per week that doesn't have a set of accessories figured out yet. I will admit that I'm not following the book exactly. I started a bit heavier since I did SL first, ignored the nutrition section all together (though seems many in the group didn't follow it much at least from some of the past posts I read), and I do extra lifts that I want to do. But I do the program lifts first, following the reps and sets required. I am also glad I lift at 11 pm because it'd be harder to leave my stuff at the row spot to go do the push ups since they are done together as the gym is super busy during the day. I need a rail since I can't do on floor or even using the bench just yet. Plus, less people to see me attempting anything with the exercise ball. lol
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited February 2015
    i like to do bodyweight versions of whatever is on my mind most on some of my off days. but really not so much in a way that i'd count as a 'rep'. i'm just exploring and practicing little bits of the form. as far as i know it hasn't harmed me ;)

guess my main guideline is: on workout days it should feel like i 'work'. on rest days i can still do stuff, but it should not feel like work.

Thank you @canadianlbs‌! I am considering "light" cardio like walking...
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    edited February 2015
    2nd workout of Smolov! I was supposed to do it yesterday, but DOMS and I was suuuuuper tired. Went to sleep at 8pm, but I woke up today feeling fantastic so it was needed.

Squats:
    3x8 @‌ 120
    5 @ 130
    2x2 @ 140
    1 @ 150lbs

Wendler's OHP:
    5 @‌ 55
    5 @‌ 65
    6 @ 75
    Then 3x10 @‌ 65lbs

1arm DB rows - 3x10 @ 45lbs
  • My workout was amazeballs today. This always happens on the days I don't want to workout.

Squat 130 5x5 finally!!! I am going to spend a few more workouts here before moving up again because form.

Bench 85 3,5,5,5,4 and I'm pretty happy. I almost wimped and repeated 80 but I said screw it and threw on 85. It wasn't bad.

Row 85 5x5 will repeat because it was heavy and I almost tipped over.

Rack pull 85 in between sets of rows and 155 1x5 (12").
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Workout A today. I was a little lerry because my last workout A was a disaster, but I took it slow and followed the advice I got here, and it was better this time.

Warm up was 5 minutes of walking/jogging, followed by 15 minutes of various stretches from the squatrx videos. This is my third day in a row doing the stretches, and the first day doing squats since I started them. I think they've helped, but I change some other things in my squats, so I'm not sure what helped more.

Squats bw 5x5. I didn't use the bar, following advice here to get my form down before I with about a bar. These were much easier without the bar, but I'm still not sure I'm getting proper depth. I seem to get to a certain point, and then I either have to come up or force myself down further. If I go down more, my knees start to hurt, a bunch of stuff in my hips start to hurt, and I have absolutely no momentum to get up again. I think I'm going to stay at body weight until the squats hurt less. I've also noticed that I don't really pay attention to my upper body in squats, so that's something else I have to work on.

Bench 19.5lbs 5x5 I'm in the process of building myself a weight bench, since the one I have now is inadequate. It has an inclined seat that is fixed in position, so if I use it without the incline, the bench is far too short for me. I juryrigged it today so that I could use the full length of the bench, but that made it way too tall for me. My feet could barely reach the floor. So benches were somewhat uncomfortable today, but I made sure to tighten my upper body, and I was a lot more stable than before. I also took a wider grip, and my elbow didn't hurt this time.

Rows 19.5lbs 5x5 I focused on keeping my back straighter and leaning over more. That really helped me with finding my placement. I wish SS had a chapter on rows.

Overall, it was a much better workout than before.

• canadianlbs
    I'm in the process of building myself a weight bench

i really really don't want to be alarmist and/or discourage you, but i honestly don't feel like i can let this pass without providing two cents. of all the lifts and all the things that could go wrong, i think bench press is the only one where an accident could actually kill you - especially if you're lifting alone. it happens.

please think carefully about the safety aspect of doing this first. be very very very totally sure you can build something that's structurally sound enough and strong enough not to drop the bar on your face - or potentially even more dangerously - across your throat.

/public safety freakout now ends.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    @‌MissHoliday --

WELL DONE! Here's a high five for you --

Colbert-High-Five.gif
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm in the process of building myself a weight bench

i really really don't want to be alarmist and/or discourage you, but i honestly don't feel like i can let this pass without providing two cents. of all the lifts and all the things that could go wrong, i think bench press is the only one where an accident could actually kill you - especially if you're lifting alone. it happens.

please think carefully about the safety aspect of doing this first. be very very very totally sure you can build something that's structurally sound enough and strong enough not to drop the bar on your face - or potentially even more dangerously - across your throat.

/public safety freakout now ends.

Thanks for your concern. I'm only building a bench to sit on, not a rack or cage or anything. I'm using 4x4s as legs, reinforced by 2x4s, but the 4x4s will bear all the weight. I've built things before, and I'm confident in my abilities. If I did build a rack for myself, I'd probably use the plans from Homemade Strength, which seem pretty solid to me. Right now though, I just want a bench long enough for me to lay down on. I don't actually use a rack at all right now, not for bench press, squats, or ohp.

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    @MissHolidayGolightly‌ , nice lifts!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Yesterday was a run day. It was cold here (for South Texas), but I ran outside anyways. I did my fastest timed 4 miles in 36:44.4, which was about 90 seconds faster than my previous 4 mile timed run.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Yesterday I did:
    8 minutes of stretching
    5x5 Barbell squat @ 20lb
    5x5 Overhead press @‌ 20lb
    1x5 Deadlift @‌ 45lb
    90 minutes of Taekwondo, which included boxing techniques
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Small personal Victory...and most people don't care, so here it goes.

I did 5x5 OHP at 100 pounds. I've had to deload several times, but this time I did it. I'm gonna stay there for another workout, but I'll be over

Squats: 5x5 173
    Deadlift: 1x5 228 (working up from deload)
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Oh and Happy Birthday Krokador!
  • canadianlbs
    glwerth wrote: »

how could anybody 'not care' about a 100 pound ohp? holy AWE, that's amazing! and actually, so encouraging.

me, i probably won't gym today. i have a meeting in the afternoon that will probably be seriously horrible, and so i've already built in my psychological damage control. cookies and unloading scheduled with my favourite ex-colleague of all and his wife. i'm gonna strategically deploy a few people who actually like me and aren't at all shy about saying so.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    glwerth wrote: »

I did 5x5 OHP at 100 pounds. I've had to deload several times, but this time I did it. I'm gonna stay there for another workout, but I'll be over

Squats: 5x5 173
    Deadlift: 1x5 228 (working up from deload)

Um, that's awesome. All of your numbers are!!