My 600 Pound Life?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Yeah, Marla was being really difficult.....I was not sure why she even bothered going there in the first place....

I have to admit, I was shocked, I mean mouth open shocked to see her leg so flexible at the beginning when her daughter was cleaning her!!

I was shocked too, she looked like she could be capable of doing the splits.

Dr. N seems to be losing patience with his patients... if the last 2 episodes are any indication. His toying with the guy last week when he said he'd be willing to do anything including cut out potatoes and snacking, and Dr. N was like, "Okay, why don't you do that then?" And the guy was like "Uh, what?" And then later telling him that there is no excuse good enough to be the way he is (apparently not even the recent death of a mother-figure was enough to soften Dr. N's heart to his patient's struggle.
    Then this week with Marla he's instructing the daughter to treat Marla like a kid, telling her to not get her food and drink and if she wants it she can get up and get it so she can move. It's like Dr. N has been reading tweets #my600lblife and the very often uber tough-love advice for family members.

He might be. But I think I might get frustrated too. Being a doctor, trying to help, then finding out the people don't want to help themselves (or don't seem to want to)...KNOWING if they don't get up off the bed, they might develop a blood clot and literally drop dead...and you were the person who was supposed to save them...I think I'd flip out.

But for the record I do believe Dr. N. has always been more or less curt with patients. That's just his bedside manner. I think they may be showing it a bit more now, or maybe he's just getting older and less patient. I think he's 70 or thereabouts.

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Yeah, Marla was being really difficult.....I was not sure why she even bothered going there in the first place....

I have to admit, I was shocked, I mean mouth open shocked to see her leg so flexible at the beginning when her daughter was cleaning her!!

Dr. N seems to be losing patience with his patients... if the last 2 episodes are any indication. His toying with the guy last week when he said he'd be willing to do anything including cut out potatoes and snacking, and Dr. N was like, "Okay, why don't you do that then?" And the guy was like "Uh, what?" And then later telling him that there is no excuse good enough to be the way he is (apparently not even the recent death of a mother-figure was enough to soften Dr. N's heart to his patient's struggle.
    Then this week with Marla he's instructing the daughter to treat Marla like a kid, telling her to not get her food and drink and if she wants it she can get up and get it so she can move. It's like Dr. N has been reading tweets #my600lblife and the very often uber tough-love advice for family members.

He might be. But I think I might get frustrated too. Being a doctor, trying to help, then finding out the people don't want to help themselves (or don't seem to want to)...KNOWING if they don't get up off the bed, they might develop a blood clot and literally drop dead...and you were the person who was supposed to save them...I think I'd flip out.

But for the record I do believe Dr. N. has always been more or less curt with patients. That's just his bedside manner. I think they may be showing it a bit more now, or maybe he's just getting older and less patient. I think he's 70 or thereabouts.

I agree. Any change in bedside manner seems to be related to editing. He's never blown smoke or sunshine. And these patients need it told straight. Their denial is killing them.
  • LAWoman72

I agree. Any change in bedside manner seems to be related to editing. He's never blown smoke or sunshine. And these patients need it told straight. Their denial is killing them.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the show but I just had to say, great googly moogly but is your kid ever cute.

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member

On an offish topic note, was she cooking in bed?

Yes! She was frying chicken in bed! OMG!

Yeah, that is not dangerous at all! I mean, if she is so immobile she cannot get up, what would happen if that hot oil spilled onto her bed, or even worse, the bed caught on fire!
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited April 2015
    I just watched Chay's story yesterday. It broke my heart when he said his mom told him he was only born because the condom broke. I believe she had he own issues & that's why she drank so must. Maybe she didn't want to have a kids and was dealing with her sexuality (trying to find herself) at the time and so drinking was the only way to handle it. I don't know for sure just speculating. I would love to see if he kept losing weight being that he is living with his aunt and uncle and they seem supportive. I'll watch Marla's tonight.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    I just watched Chay's story yesterday. It broke my heart when he said his mom told him he was only born because the condom broke. I believe she had he own issues & that's why she drank so must. Maybe she didn't want to have a kids and was dealing with her sexuality (trying to find herself) at the time and so drinking was the only way to handle it. I don't know for sure just speculating. I would love to see if he kept losing weight being that he is living with his aunt and uncle and they seem supportive.
    Yeah, you never know the ordeals that some people endured and which helped make them who they are. It is very compassionate of you to try and find an understanding of why the mother might say such a thing. And, yes, the aunt and uncle were great!

• MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member

I WAS OPEN MOUTHED TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, she was actually DEEP FRYING in bed! Who knew there were portable deep fryers??
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    After watching Marla's story, I wonder to myself if the she was really being difficult or if that was a way to get more drama into the show. Just seemed off to me.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    MissMissle wrote: »

I WAS OPEN MOUTHED TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, she was actually DEEP FRYING in bed! Who knew there were portable deep fryers??

My fiance and I were gaping at the tv, too. He was absolutely horrified by the splits thing. Then we were cracking up when she fried the chicken in bed.

I was also agape at everything she ate in the beginning of the episode. The chicken strip "tacos" with a slice of bread as the shell and thousand island dressing. 4 jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches as seemingly a snack...
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2015
    Marla made me sooooooo friggin mad, but I was impressed with her flexibility in the beginning. I think Marla really didn't turn around, she just tried to stand for the show. If there was a where are they now update, I doubt she changed. I do hope her daughter realizes that could be her future.

She is only second to Penny in my book to being ungrateful and a straight up itch.
  • LAWoman72
    The Marla episode was frustrating. She did pull it together at the very end - like the last five minutes of the show, I guess. I don't know how long in actual time that was.

I don't get how people could fight so hard to get the surgery and then refuse to obey the doctor's orders. It's not like he was asking the world - unless he made all sorts of demands on Marla and they edited those out. But I don't think so. I mean he was just asking her to stand up, and it was for her own health, no less. A blood clot can drop a person fast after surgery if there's no motion.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    edited April 2015

I started watching thanks to this thread and Dr. Now seems brusque in general. (Only seen season 2 though.) It makes sense to me that he takes a direct approach. I suspect coddling these patients wouldn't do them any favors.

My only annoyance is that he always rounds down the pounds and although I objectively realize saying "you lost 30 lbs" is not that different from "you lost 33 lbs" I'm sitting there going "3 pounds matters!!"
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Wow, hearing all these comments about Marla makes me really wanna go home and watch the episode. Hope my DVR recorded it.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Wow, hearing all these comments about Marla makes me really wanna go home and watch the episode. Hope my DVR recorded it.
    She is a pill.

• courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    I watch this show religiously.
    Marla frustrated me more than almost anyone. Penny being the absolute worst.
    My mother used Dr. N for her weight loss surgery and he was wonderful.
    I guess it's just annoying watching this show, like last night, and knowing there are people who would do anything to have that surgery for free, yet you get people like Marla who could care less.
  • annaxmarie6389
    annaxmarie6389 Posts: 2 Member
    amber7088 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

Lol I find this so hilarious because this show has made me want to get up and go to the gym. And Hoarders makes me want to clean the house. I find I'm more likely to go to the gym though... But before My 600lb Life I was steadily gaining weight and watching some of the women on that show who mentioned how they used to be a medium size and quickly started gaining more and more. I was like "oh no. That's not happening". I joined the gym, started MyFitnessPal, and bought a Pivotal Living watch similar to FitBit to encourage me to walk more. I've made sure I hit atleast 10,000 steps everyday and atleast 400+ calories burned in the gym.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I watched about half of Marla's story last night. What a piece of work. I feel she was lucky to have the surgery then she was a total PITA for how many months after? Plus the way she treated her daughter Sierra after the surgery "don't touch me" she said to her. WOW ..

I often find this show very hard to watch. I don't think most of them really want to get better.

I don't remember Penny. Maybe I missed that one? Was she the one who refused to move and had therapy over the computer?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    I watch this show religiously.
    Marla frustrated me more than almost anyone. Penny being the absolute worst.
    My mother used Dr. N for her weight loss surgery and he was wonderful.
    I guess it's just annoying watching this show, like last night, and knowing there are people who would do anything to have that surgery for free, yet you get people like Marla who could care less.

I think that Marla wanted to get the surgery to improve her life but then realized that it would mean doing work and taking care of herself. Her kids waited on her hand and foot and spoiled her like a baby, so much so that she felt like she never needed to even try to walk again. That's the strangest part about her episode. Why did she prefer to be immobile? She had this maniacal look on her face when she sent Sierra to get the "cup" of jello that ended up being like a tupperware full.

• courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2015

Exactly!

That look she gave her daughter. It made me want to slap her. Like, if I could have come through that TV I would have. I wish her daughter would have done what the Dr. said and tell her to go get it herself.
    I guess I just don't understand what goes through some peoples heads.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the people who truly care and work their hardest after their surgery. Ungrateful people drive me nuts though.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    The Marla episode was frustrating. She did pull it together at the very end - like the last five minutes of the show, I guess. I don't know how long in actual time that was.

I don't get how people could fight so hard to get the surgery and then refuse to obey the doctor's orders. It's not like he was asking the world - unless he made all sorts of demands on Marla and they edited those out. But I don't think so. I mean he was just asking her to stand up, and it was for her own health, no less. A blood clot can drop a person fast after surgery if there's no motion.

Often with some people who are intending to get gastric surgery, not just those on this show, I feel like that they're really just "buying time" to stay and behave exactly the same, so-to-speak, since surgery is off in the distant future. So that it seems, even if only to themselves, they are doing something about their very serious weight problem up until they actually concretely arrange to get the surgery.

Kind of like people who assert they'll start their diet on Monday. Then Monday comes and well, most know know how that typically goes...

That this is major surgery and a lot of work will be required on their part in order to be successful just doesn't seem to really register at all with many people who say they want to get it.

And I agree that Dr. N has never been one to cuddle and coddle (probably what I like most about him) but I guess he just seemed a bit harsher the past 2 episodes. I didn't have a huge problem with it, or anything. But I guess I didn't feel like these patients deserved it as much as, say, some of his patients in the past who were particularly aggravating.