Online Dating

Options

Replies

• xbluehorusx
    xbluehorusx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had so many bad online dating experiences that my friends think I should write a book lol. I've been "next-ed", told that I ate and drank too much and had to pay for my half (which is funny because I didn't even finish my food, but he ate my leftovers and all of his food and had more beers than I did), I've been told to hit them up when I lose some weight, and just general awfulness. I didn't know I needed to be a Victoria's Secret model to date youre average dude! :s
  • shainasb310
    shainasb310 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've done the online dating thing and have actually met some really great people! Granted I am still single, but that is more of a personal choice and has nothing to do with whom I met online. There are certainly numerous risks involved but each individual should use their own sense of judgement in each situation.
  • feliciafurlong
    feliciafurlong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Met in person after chatting for about a week at a bar and grill for drinks. He gets there after I do and just stares at me in the waiting area, waiting to see if I can figure out that it's him (pictures weren't great, I wasn't sure). After a bit he comes over to introduce himself and asks for a table as he's hungry (!!). I've already eaten so I get a margarita and hope the creeper vibes go away. He takes FOREVER to eat his appetizer and meal, and also lets slip that he has a 2 yo daughter in another area but doesn't want to ever see her or have a relationship with her because he doesn't like her mom. But he wants kids someday and he'll be a great dad. Oblivious to my hints that I want to leave. Insists on walking me to my car and tries to kiss me. I hopped in and left as quickly as I could!
  • WYMANT0004
    WYMANT0004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for this thread to inspire someone to post the next step in these discussions in a new thread entitled: Tell Us Why You Got Divorced In The First Place

She had a rather serious substance abuse problem (which frequently made me the target for mental and physical abuse) and was rather frequently entertaining herself outside of our marriage with whatever men she could find. So after a decade of that I pulled my head out of my *kitten* and took back my life.

And hearing all the horror stories in this thread has reenforced my fear that I shall remain a single father because I do not think I want to expose myself to the world of online crazies... :/
  • fliesdonotbelong
    fliesdonotbelong Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I went on a date with a doctor I met from Coffee Meets Bagel. We went to dinner and he mentioned that I looked familiar. I didn't recognise him. The date continued he was a gentleman the entire time. I went back to his place for a drink and he got too hands on so I wasn't going to see him again. A few days later he asked for my last name. I gave it to him and he replied that he had found me in his procedure log as one of his deliveries. He was a resident who delivered my daughter :/
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I went on a date with a doctor I met from Coffee Meets Bagel. We went to dinner and he mentioned that I looked familiar. I didn't recognise him. The date continued he was a gentleman the entire time. I went back to his place for a drink and he got too hands on so I wasn't going to see him again. A few days later he asked for my last name. I gave it to him and he replied that he had found me in his procedure log as one of his deliveries. He was a resident who delivered my daughter :/

What do you mean he got "too hands on"?
  • pleasantashes
    pleasantashes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I met my now fiancée on Skout 2 days after signing up for it. It was my first time online dating. He was the only guy who didn't try to get in my pants right away or want nude pics.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Guy represented himself as much younger than his actual age, then wanted to go out for an "ice cream shake then to the river bed to throw rocks at rats." Shortest date ever, 10 minutes.

That being said, I've had plenty of online dates that have went perfectly well, even if it never got past a few dates. I'm actually friends with a few of my past dates, now.
  • fliesdonotbelong
    fliesdonotbelong Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I don't let guys get into my pants the first date. I asked him to stop and he kept pushing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I don't let guys get into my pants the first date. I asked him to stop and he kept pushing.

OK that is what I was waiting to hear.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mt8998
    mt8998 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread makes me glad I'm okay with being single. I attempted online dating in my early twenties but I'd mostly get messages from people who a)wrot lik dis n thoght id wnt 2 slep wit dem, b)were at least 20 years older, super creepy and most likely married, or my personal favourite c)thought black girls were hot and just saw me as a fetish. The conversations usually started (and ended) like "hey I think black girls are hot/ I've never been with a black girl before"
    And the amount of male junk pictures I used to get back then :|:s:(
    Now I wisely spend my time using the internet for what it was made for - watching cat videos on youtube and reading random articles on wikipedia :)
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm completely jaded now as my experiences with women on dating sites has left me terrified of them in real life. How am I ever going to meet anybody if I'm convinced that I'm too ugly for anybody to the point where I literally ( as in literally literally) don't have the courage to even look at them in the street?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I met a bunch of nice guys at a bike event Sunday - so much less pressure than online encounters.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I went on several online originated dates this week. As long as I represent myself properly and she does as well then no problems. I haven't found what women call "sparkle" yet but this time around it is a much better experience. I think that last time I was looking for instant gratification via modern technology. I've grown up a bit since I decided to just be single for three years and date myself.

Now, I am able to objectively weed out the bad matches (Crazy pics= crazy chicks). I have some optimism that this might work. If it doesn't I can't really blame the method.

I have figured out a few things that tip me off on profiles and my "Cradar is preforming well.

1. If she has pics with her infant child, she is not savvy enough to look out for the safety of her child nor does she respect the other parent.

2. If she flips off the camera and drops the F-bomb along with challenges in her profile....nope.

3. If she is my age and every single pic is her holding a drink at a bar................nope.

4. If she is posing in all of her pics with random men I assume ex's.

5. If she responds to my intro message within ten seconds I assume desperate.

6. If her post contains any of the following: OMG, ROFL, LOL, HMU. DTF.......it's a nope.

7. I am not skinny by any means , In fact I am just getting down to where I am overweight, but when an overweight girl demands that anyone who is interested in her be "athletic with abs", I chuckle a bit.

8. Neck tats, face tats, any tats with gang symbols..........................................nope.

9. Anyone who will only date a specific race. I understand attraction, but advertising closed mindedness is a turn off for me.......it's a nope.

10. If I get that weird vibe, I no longer ignore it because of a physical attraction. Something is amiss and I don't want to find out what.

Please understand I know that these same observations are just as true for men on the sites. I just only date women so my experience is with them. Guys can be just as weird if not weirder and probably more dangerous.

I always meet in public on the first few dates.

I always make sure we have separate transport.

I always make sure I keep my private info private until I figure out to what capacity I want this person in my life.

Nobody meets my child until she is intended to be permanent, therefore no one has met my child.

I am looking for as potential partner not any more associates or friends, so when friends is suggested I politely decline unless we have mutual friends or interests. I have only made one friend this way and she will be around forever I hope.

Good luck out there.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I just deleted my online dating accounts. I tried POF, MeetMe, and OK Cupid. They all had the same results. I would either get messages from 50 year old married men looking to explore their sexuality and spice up their otherwise boring marriage, or I would get messaged by wannabe plays who were like "Hey girl DTF (Down To *kitten*)". I think I met one person who actually had a normal conversation strategy but even that only lasted one or two messages. Most of the guys that were on those sites seemed like they should be on those sites. I didnt go on a single date because it never got that far. Never again.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It seems better if we return to the traditional modalities for dating.
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a super terrible experience yet but I haven't met the right person either :( sad panda
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online BUT I realize we are the exception, not the rule. We met the same day we contacted each other via email/dating site because no matter what anyone says, you really don't know someone until you meet them in person(even on skype). Body reactions and vibes are sooo important.

We were engaged a week later and married less than a year after that. We will have our 15th wedding anniversary next January <3

Don't give up hope ;)

You got engaged after a week? giphy.gif
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online BUT I realize we are the exception, not the rule. We met the same day we contacted each other via email/dating site because no matter what anyone says, you really don't know someone until you meet them in person(even on skype). Body reactions and vibes are sooo important.

We were engaged a week later and married less than a year after that. We will have our 15th wedding anniversary next January <3

Don't give up hope ;)

You got engaged after a week? giphy.gif