PCOS Diet

2»

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Have you ever been tested for hypothyroid, under active thyroid problems, this is something which often goes undetected sometimes with consequences particularly in our theoretically more affluent countries? Pregnancy can cause a temporary imbalance of the thyroid though it can be permanent in some. I have read low for you thyroid problems can also be present in many other health problems because it regulates most if not all systems, particularly the replication of simple cells, our reproductive cycles and sugar absorption, in the body with a couple of other related "glands". There are so many ways our bodies can under perform. Web site, Stop the thyroid madness, is full of good information on this subject.

Living on a calorie restriction makes it more difficult to achieve proper nutrition. The general weight loss advice, to avoid fat, milk eggs and other things expose you to not having enough of the building blocks we need to build our hormones. If you listen to the controversy, the fear that it is possible to have too much of any one vitamin or mineral from supplements people who have a problem with vitamin and or mineral absorption from sluggish digestion, from may be hypothyroidism really flounder. Nutritional requirements are complex and individual. Even nutritionist and dietitians are not infallible.

Working out what is right for yourself is very hard.
  • dylansmom87
    dylansmom87 Posts: 16 Member
    I've had PCOS since my late teens ( not from stress back then), and unfortunately it has developed into Diabetes .I have just been to a dietician and she advised me that my meals should be 30gm carbs each, 20-80gr of protien each meal, and increase fibre,and if I need a snack between meals it can't contain ANy carbs, plus 30 min of excersise everyday if possible but at least 5 days/week.

So far so good,by increasing my protein I'm not feeling hungry between meals. Getting more energy from excersising, and have lost a few pounds so far.
    I suggest you get an A1c done to check your blood sugars if you haven't already.
    Best of luck

• waltsmagic
    waltsmagic Posts: 1 Member
    Has any of you passed PCO down to your daughters?
    I have been under the care of an endocrinologist for 20 years. I recently asked him this exact question and he stated they do not know if it is hereditary.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    @whitespider360‌
    Has any of you passed PCO down to your daughters?

My mother and I both have PCOS. She had always told me that she had "more testosterone than other women", but she was unaware of its existence until I was diagnosed, then she got checked.
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    I got it from my mother, and I'm almost positive that my daughter has it, she has all the signs of having it. I can't find a dr around this little hick town to test for needs to be tested. And you have to have a dr referral to get to see a endocrinologist. They're just telling me that the hair growth is from being over weight, but it's every where on her.
  • NurseWizzle
    NurseWizzle Posts: 312 Member
    My friend tried a ketogenic diet and it helped her.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    I just got some bloodwork back today and found this post in my searches. Thanks for the links! I'm curious and researching how to keep my vegetarian diet (I do eat some fish... so for those picky people...pescatarian) and also eat properly to support my insulin resistance. Any advice is appreciated!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 (I'm now 33) and had never been on treatment other than birth control pills to regulate the hormones. I know there is sometimes an insulin resistant component to it as well but my IR level was always fine in blood tests. After lots of research, I found out the Metformin can help whether you are IR or not. It has been nothing short of life changing for me. I've always kept a very close eye on calories and exercise very hard 6x a week (45 mins-1 hr of weights, 30 mins-1 hr of cardio) and was continuing to gain weight. I have been on Metformin ER 500 mg 2x a day for 5 weeks and have lost 6.6 lbs. I have no desire to have children, so the infertility has always been a bit of a fringe benefit but I've heard of a lot of people that were able to conceive after being on Metformin.