What is the worst thing about being fat?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For me it is the common misconception that Fat=Stupid. Fat people simply can't have valid viewpoints, ideas or opinions. They can't have a real personality. They can have only their food and their fat. It is truly amazing how people's perception of me changes the smaller I get. Asshats (<-really not bitter, just amazed at people's ignorance)
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that I've never been extremely overweight or had weight related health issues. For me the main worst thing is how my face looks with even a 10-15lb difference and how clothes are more uncomfortable/unflattering.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Wenchiness wrote: »
    For me it is the common misconception that Fat=Stupid. Fat people simply can't have valid viewpoints, ideas or opinions. They can't have a real personality. They can have only their food and their fat. It is truly amazing how people's perception of me changes the smaller I get. Asshats (<-really not bitter, just amazed at people's ignorance)

It's something I realized, for better or worse, when I first lost a lot of weight. I don't trust people nearly as much. So often the same people who were nasty to me at my heaviest were sweet as could be at my smallest. Generally, people who I don't know on a close level to see day to day, so they probably don't even make the connection that both people were really the same, like store clerks, or former classmates. I couldn't help thinking when they'd be nice and smiley, "oh shove it, I remember the real you."
  • dollydemise
    dollydemise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eating in front of others is the worst! All they do is comment on what you eat, how you eat, and everything in between. Healthy food or unhealthy food - they still have to say something.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Some of these posts reminded me of something that happened about 2 years ago at work. I've dated the same man off and on for 6 years now, and I told co-workers this. But since he didn't come into work to see me, they suggested he was made up. So rude!

One girl, who is very opinionated about everything with everyone, kept trying to set me up with a guy she knows. One day she said outright, "You should date him. He'll date anything." Not even "anyone". she said "anything" !!!

Ugh. Didn't help my self esteem at alllll
  • annika2012
    annika2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Worst part of fat for me was how all the fat would accumulate on my face. My face was round and my cheeks would hold on to lot of weight. Was not fan of the look, so as I started on my diet and started to shed weight I started to take selfies of my face to compare and contrast. The before and after pictures are such a motivator for me that I never wish to go back to that even though the difference has only been 10lb.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hate that I'm afraid to let my boyfriend pick me up. It turns something sweet he's doing into me being embarrassed...
  • htowey
    htowey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me it's self confidence and body image. I think the main reason I've never been in a relationship before is because i think to myself "no one would wanna date someone that looks like me" and so i never put myself out there. I'm hoping at the end of the weight loss I'll be able to love myself enough to let someone else love me too.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have so many answers to that question! I've lost 96lbs in 14 months and rather than list the worst things about being fat, I'll list the BEST things about no longer being fat (which is a similar list in reverse, know what I mean?):

1. Can I tell you how delightful it is to sit in a booth without dread of whether or not I will fit? Ahhhhhhhhh....this is one of my favorite things.
    2. Last summer I spent every opportunity I could riding roller coasters. I get so much joy from them and knowing I'll never again be turned away because I don't fit in the seat? Pure bliss.
    3. Shopping. The old me avoided shopping as long as I could. I stuck to grandma shoes and minimum jewelry, probably to avoid drawing attention to myself. Now I search like crazy for sales in my efforts I build a completely new wardrobe! I LOVE that I am no longer limited to plus sized shops! And shoes? I can't get enough! I've not worn heels in years because they hurt my feet but with 96lbs less to carry around I have MAD LOVE for heels! Even if I AM 5'10"!!!
    4. Reaching my feet to tie my shoes is no longer a chore! SCORE!
    5. I am completely and totally addicted to Jazzercise. I go to every single class unless there is a valid reason that I can't make it and when I don't go to class I feel lost! Exercise is my new addiction!
    6. Last summer I finally checked a big one off my bucket list, I went white water rafting! Something I've wanted to do for over a decade. This coming summer I plan to take an extended white water kayaking class over a three day weekend. Another bucket list item!
    7. I don't run from photo opportunities now but I'm still not a big fan. I'd rather be the one behind the camera searching for beautiful moments to capture. But it's because I love the art not because I'm afraid of having my picture taken now. :smile:

I'm sure there are more but I have to go for the day. Best wishes to you on your journey. MFP is a fantastic tool. Use it to the best of your advantage!

~Angela
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Not being able to reach to wipe yourself.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There are so many aspects of being overweight that can rip joy right out of your day. By far the worst for me has been losing my mobility.
  • tegancrow15
    tegancrow15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me my social life really suffered because I have no self confidence. I don't make new friends because I always feel like i'm being judged. It's stopped me going out on weekends like every other girl my age. I hardly ever go to the beach & when I do I spend all day feeling awful about myself :(
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Before we were married my husband asked me to never ever get fat. How we laughed at the idea of 124 lb me being fat. HA! HA! HA! Well....here I am now 110 lbs heavier than I was then.

Humbling and not funny anymore. My husband has been very supportive for the most part. I know he misses the original me.

I echo so many of the previous submissions. Another one that bothers me is if I dont stop and gain more weight I will need help with personal care. I don't want that humiliation.
  • tbaxa
    tbaxa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Having to work twice as hard to be successful. Image goes a long way in business.
  • moog54
    moog54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The worst thing for me are children, unlike adults they have little respect for feelings. Comments like "look at that fat man" or "you are so fat". I was quite comfortable with my weight, yes I do look like Humpty Dumpty, but hey that is me. I'm a semi pro childrens magician but lost my nerve a year ago because of my weight. The hospital told me today that they won't put me on a MRI scanner as I might break it.
    Also I have a wardrobe full of nice trousers (38inch waist) and shirts which I used to wear, they don't make stylish clothes for fat people. I'm currently 62inch waist, weighing 25st 8lbs.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mirrors were the worst for me. I didn't "feel" obese in daily life. Then I'd catch my reflection in a mirror and feel sick. I'd still like to lose 40 more lbs, but I can look straight in a mirror now and feel fine. I'm happy with the progress. I would also hide from cameras. I'm still not quite over that one yet.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I never realised I was obese until I weighed myself, out of the blue, one day last year at a pharmacy. I thought I was just a big strong person lol. No-one ever told me I was fat. I had terrible pain in my knees, feet and lower back, digestive problems, couldn't get in or out of the bath and could only use the shower, sometimes my husband had to help me upstairs because I was in so much pain. I am self-employed doing a physical job, so I would work, then have a sleep in the afternoon, then work again. I couldn't go all day without a sleep in the afternoon. I never wanted to go anywhere as I was always tired and in pain.

Fast forward to today, at normal weight of 147lb - all these problems are gone.
  • fleurashford
    fleurashford Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 so this may seem childish but there's this guy who I've been seeing on and off for a few years and he's got his own issues and reasons for being such a complete *kitten* but I've never felt like I could defend myself in our fights, even if he wasn't attacking my weight, I just feel like I deserve to take it and when I lose the weight I'll be allowed to stand up for myself and walk away. I know this is unhealthy and wrong but I just can't wait for the confidence and self assurance that comes with being fit and healthy.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There's nothing good about being fat but imo,the worst thing is actually that you're basically inviting so many health issues,almost deliberately.