Metabolism: Eating before bed

2»

Replies

• tequilastuntman
    tequilastuntman Posts: 37 Member
    meal timing seems to have no impact body weight

meal timing has a noticable impact on body composition/water fluctuation

that's why people feel very lean towards the end of fasting windows, which feels awesome
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    domduv1987 wrote: »
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Your metabolism doesn't stop working during the night. If it did, you would not wake up the next morning. You think your brain stops working when you sleep? How would it then tell your heart to beat, and your lungs to breathe?

Your body never stops working... it works 24/7.

Basically, if your metabolism stops, it means you're dead.

The metabolism slows down, everyone knows that.

If you read what i've said, i said to keep burning at a fat-burning level

Everyone knew the earth was flat too.

Thats not really got anything to do with what i asked?

All i've asked is, is there anything to eat to keep the FAT LEVEL BURNING up??

Yet everyone seems to be looking at what i've said in the wrong way

I've never eaten before sleep anyway

What you've asked is just an oft repeated myth, like the earth being flat.

What you eat does not effect your 'fat level burning'
    When you eat does not effect your 'fat level burning'
    Your metabolism does not stop.
    Your metabolism does not slow down depending on the time of day.

OMG, the Earth is flat??? I'm falling off!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    So, i've been told by afew people lately to eat at night to keep my metabolism burning over night

The only question is what?

Afew have said cottage cheese is good, not a pot obviously but afew teaspoons

Any other suggestions or is this complete rubbish?

Thanks

Personally I've never heard that, nor do I think it's true. I have a snack before bed most nights, it all depends on how low my glucose levels are before bed (I'm hypoglycemic). I stick usually with Greek yogurt, protein shakes, peanut butter sandwich (yum). A protein and some carbs (carbs to up my glucose levels) and protein to keep them from crashing
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    It really doesn't matter when you eat when it comes to weight loss; as long as you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight no matter what. However, some people find that eating right before bed can disturb their sleep, so you can always take that into account.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    200.gif
  • emc2fit
    emc2fit Posts: 16 Member
    Lots of responses here but I thought I'd throw in my two sense:

your metabolism doesn't shut down during sleep, however it does lower. You don't put anything into your body for the 8 hours you sleep, and as a response your body goes into a 'fasted' state. Your metabolism slows down so you don't burn as much fat/calories (however you want to think of it), and you don't need to burn them anyway because you're completely sedentary. If you accept that as fast, you might think eating before bed is a bad idea because - won't it just get converted to fat?

Well no. There's an argument to be made that if your glycogen stores are full and you eat a moderate portion of carbs, of course your body won't be using it so it will convert them to fat. But your body is clever, although biologically we are programmed to put down fat, as long as there's not a lot of cortisol (the stress hormone) floating around as a result of hard dieting for example, it will usually seek to maintain an even weight.

In my experience, 40g of porridge before bed helps me to sleep better. I have not put on weight and most weeks continue to lose. Everyone is different of course, and there's so much 'bro science' out there to support every possible angle to this argument, but to conclude - eating before bed is fine, just don't go mental.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited February 2015
    So, i've been told by afew people lately to eat at night to keep my metabolism burning over night

The only question is what?

Afew have said cottage cheese is good, not a pot obviously but afew teaspoons

Any other suggestions or is this complete rubbish?

Thanks

Ah hahahahahaha.

There is no reason to cut out foods unless you have a medical condition. Also , eating at night has no impact in weight loss. The person who told you that has no blue a to what their are singing