ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A THYROID CONDITION???

2»

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    LOTS of exercise and clean eating is what's worked for me. I also switched to taking my Synthroid right before bed instead of first thing in the morning, and I haven't had so much stomach issues.

INTERESTING point about taking your meds before bed. I'm bugged atm by digestion symptoms, and wonder if this would help me... time to do some research perhaps! thanks x
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Low thyroid here as well. I work out like crazy and eat 1200 cals/day (if I'm lucky) and lose about 2 pounds a week.

It's been over a year since I've gotten my thyroid tested, since then lost 52 pounds and changed eating and working out, so I'm just curious if my thyroid results will change as well. The doctor I use sure isn't knowledgeable about thyroid though, he does't discuss all the different numbers, I even had to beg to get the full thyroid panel done. He hates fat people and swears my weight is only because I would eat constantly and sit around all day (all my life I've shown dogs/horses plus work full time, I assure you I don't sit around all day). I'm over due to go and so we will see what they are this year.

I am hypo with Hashimoto's. I would highly recommend that you see a doctor that specializes in thyroid. My GP knew nothing but did refer me to the proper doctor and I don't think I would make it without her and her kind advice, especially about my weight. I am just starting my second weight loss journey so hopefully I will have good luck (need to shed 30ish lbs). My next appt is in Oct so I hope I can make my doctor proud by showing up without the weight! By the way, congrats on your 52 lbs loss!!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Yes I have had hypothyroidism for many years. And yes we have to work harder to lose than the normal Joe, even if our blood work shows our thyroid levels in the normal range. I have to move mountains literally to lose but I have had some success, mostly just because I am a person who just does not give up or give in. (hard headed) I do know that I cannot eat much above my recommended 1200 calories or I will stop losing or I will gain. I ate "normally" for Mother's Day/birthday, which we celebrate together, my birthday is May 13. I gained like 5 pounds and it took me over 3 weeks to lose back to where I was before that. It takes a lot of dedication and determination to lose weight with a thyroid condition, but with time and patience, it can be done. I have been at this for a year and a half. Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    i'm hypothyroid, had my whole thyroid removed June 2005, been on meds ever since. had trouble losing weight before that, have trouble losing weight since then. meds have NOTHING to do with it. it's all in the mind and listening to the body. i have been on synthroid or levothroxine for 7+ years. they don't help at all with weight loss.

BTW, i have pretty much given up on losing weight. i still am trying, but my focus is listening to my body and it's needs, eating healthy most of the time (still deserve my splurges) and exercising regularly. if the weight doesn't come off very fast, but i am feeling energized and in no pain, then that is what i am happy about.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    I started this in January and by the beginning of last month I had lost 14 pounds, and hit a plateau for a few months.. I tried everything to get over the plateau, upped my calories, excercised like crazy and still didnt lose. It's only the last couple of months that I've started losing properly again and not just half a pound here and there. I'm not sure what happened, I stopped exercising because I'd buggered up my knees and I'd been suffering with stomach acid, so I was some days eating 1200 cals and then other days eating a bit higher,then lower again- it wasnt intentional but I guess this kicked started my metabolism and I've lost about 4 pounds in 2 weeks. My point is, nobody is the same, everyone's body is going to lose weight differently and we who have thyroid issues do have to work a little harder and try a few different ways in order to lose weight. Keep at it, and you will get there eventually!! Feel free to add me if you like!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!