What's everyone take for supplements? Vitamins, Pre-workout, Recovery, Protein?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I think whey-based protein shakes and bars are an acquired taste, and those who consume them regularly don't even notice any more. I remember a Dragon's Den (Shark Tank in US) episode where the promoters were offering a new protein bar. One of the investors spat the bar out, "This tastes terrible!". The promoter gently asked if the investor ever ate a protein bar before? I am sure it tasted no better or no worse than the bars out there currently.

You might try Vega One to see if you like it any better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Must all protein powders taste terrible? I have tried mixing with water, almond milk, regular milk and still tastes bad. Any recommendations on a protein powder. I am tired of wasting all my money on junk.
    There is no need to take powders so just dont buy them. Like all protein powders they ate just to supplement a lack of protein in your diet.

• moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    I'm a supplement addict as well...

Liquid Multi
    Chromium Picolinate
    Plant based Omega 3, 6, 9
    Vitamin E
    Vitex (for female and pituitary issues instead of taking an Rx)
    Fem E
    Kelp (for Iodine)
    Vegetarian Glucosamine w/ MSM
    Creatine Monohydrate (added to my protein)
    Plant Fusion Protein
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    I take a multivitamin, fish oil, and sometimes after I work out I drink Biorhythm post-workout euphoria in Orange push-up. It is very high carb though so I am using it up and then switching to something else. If you aren't worried about carbs it is a great after workout protein and it really does give a sort of euphoric feeling if you drink it right after your work-out. The taste takes some getting used to.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    I absolutely HATE taking pills....so I take 3 gummy Alive multi-vitamins (standard serving size), and 2 Caltrate + D chewies as well for calcium. That is all. Oh and chia seeds sprinkled into yogurt or oatmeal for their health benefits
  • jwolford90
    jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    For most, a multivitamin, fish oil and protein (if you need to supplement more of it in) is basically all that's needed. The rest is mostly smoke and mirrors. Most supplements dosage is low versus what's actually tested in labs for research.
    Also since supplements aren't regulated by the FDA, a lot of times there are contaminants that are present because much of the raw material to make it comes from countries that don't regulate purity of the raw materials being sent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is what we are studying currently in my nutrition class. Insane.

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Protein, Creatine, sometimes intra-workout carbs and eaa's

Creating will just pull water into your muscles you can take it for years but once you stop you will lose a lot of your muscles just saying
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Must all protein powders taste terrible? I have tried mixing with water, almond milk, regular milk and still tastes bad. Any recommendations on a protein powder. I am tired of wasting all my money on junk.

Mandy I've heard optimum nutrition and quest protein powders taste delicious.

Thanks, I think I am going to try Quest, looked good and the price was right.

thank you for the advice @psulemon I do lack protein in my diet, so it would be nice to have that after a workout or as a meal replacement.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Multi vitamin, fish oil, b6, vitamin c, rhodiola, green vibrance, protein shake
  • Jrockward
    Jrockward Posts: 80 Member
    I rotate on bullnox, superpump 3.0, acg3, ripped freak, mhp dark rage, white flood, Dr jekyell, gat, jack3d and pwr.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    None?
    I eat a wide variety of food and plenty of it.

That's basically me with one exception: iron.

I'm a runner, and a regular blood donor - every eight weeks like clockwork - so I do take a fairly high dose iron supplement for 10 days following a donation and then rely on food, sometimes a general purpose multivitamin to top up for the balance. So far so good. Without the supplement my ferritin levels eventually drop to the too-low space.
  • KickinIt23
    KickinIt23 Posts: 24 Member
    Jrockward wrote: »
    I rotate on bullnox, superpump 3.0, acg3, ripped freak, mhp dark rage, white flood, Dr jekyell, gat, jack3d and pwr.

I haven't heard of most of those before. They seem like they would make my heart go crazy. Is that true? Maybe they are just meant for men. I would prefer something that wasn't so extreme but still helped me get in a good workout. I also run, so something that could help me there too would be nice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    KickinIt23 wrote: »
    Jrockward wrote: »

I haven't heard of most of those before. They seem like they would make my heart go crazy. Is that true? Maybe they are just meant for men. I would prefer something that wasn't so extreme but still helped me get in a good workout. I also run, so something that could help me there too would be nice.

I was thinking the same lol

They sound scary hardcore :tongue:
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Multivitamin
    B12 (because Im vegan and don't get it in my diet)
    Algal DHA (similar to fish oil)
    Probiotics
    I used to supplement Vitamin D and Iron when I was deficient, but MFP has helped me monitor and increase my intake through food so I don't need them anymore :)
    I also use protein powders and meal replacements when my protein or calorie levels are too low, (or when I am too lazy to make a sandwich, lol)
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    If I go back to a vegan diet I'll take B12. Otherwise only if my doctor discovers an actual deficiency. I think they're dangerous. Food contains thousands of micronutrients we don't understand. Studies of beta carotene in isolation were stopped because it increased cancer risk. More is not always better.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    1% chocolate milk?
  • kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Wow lots of great info here. I must be living under a rock because I haven't heard of most of these pre workouts like ripped freak, liporidex, dark rage, etc. I have been taking Cellucor off and on, but will check these out. Dark rage sounds like it would be too much for me, but who knows until you try it. On top of that I take a multi vit, protein and BCAAS after my workouts. Always looking for something to improve my game though.
  • DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Intra workout drink is 50g HBCD (fast absorbing carb) and 20g peptopro (faster absorbing protein). Postworkout is 50g whey isolate

Recovery nutrition of the gods.
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Fish Oil
    Multivitamin
    Fiber Powder
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    I take:
    Alive! Once Daily Women's Ultra Potency Vitamin (1)
    Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM (2)
    Curcumin (Turmeric) Triple Strength (1)
    Rainbow Light Food-Based Calcium Vitamin with Magnesium & Vitamin D3 (1-2)