Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Replies

• modacielo73
    modacielo73 Posts: 48 Member
    ptkat28 wrote: »
    I have a question! I do not know that much about this site, do I need to update my weight and exercise on my profile? I am still eating calorie wise what I was when I started. And do I HAVE to eat back my exercise calories?

@ptkat28 : you should be logging in your new weight as you go, once you lose a certain amount it will automatically recalculate and adjust your daily calorie allowance. As for eating your exercise calories, no need to eat them unless you're super hungry or want to treat yourself to something ie/cookie, chocolate, a scoop of icecream or maybe a glass of wine. .. Think of them as a "free" calories to be used how you want :smile:
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    sunnyeuphoria i agree with you about the complete change of attitude towards food.I do not deprive myself but i also no longer live on "treats".
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    ptkat28 wrote: »
    I have a question! I do not know that much about this site, do I need to update my weight and exercise on my profile? I am still eating calorie wise what I was when I started. And do I HAVE to eat back my exercise calories?

No, you don't, unless its taking you more than about 25% below your minimum. then you risk your body going into starvation mode and losing muscle instead of fat or losing nothing at all.
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    A good rule of thumb is if you want to eat back your exercise calories (and you can if you want to) is to only eat back half of them. This way in case there are any errors (because there is no way to exactly measure how many calories you burn).

• tetorteson
    tetorteson Posts: 5 Member
    Hi everyone!! We have made it to the holiday weekend! 3 days (for most). What do people do to keep the grazing, picking, and food distractions at bay?
  • ptkat28
    ptkat28 Posts: 99 Member
    A good rule of thumb is if you want to eat back your exercise calories (and you can if you want to) is to only eat back half of them. This way in case there are any errors (because there is no way to exactly measure how many calories you burn).

Thanks @Hippychick5983 !! I do not eat back my exercise calories, because I have so much to lose and I try to be in a bigger deficit if that makes any sense to you! I may be doing it wrong :(
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    tetorteson wrote: »
    Hi everyone!! We have made it to the holiday weekend! 3 days (for most). What do people do to keep the grazing, picking, and food distractions at bay?

I put lots of healthy grazing food out. Fresh veggies with dips (made with greek yogurt instead of sour cream). also I eat 5-6 meals a day so it keeps me from being too hungry, though I'm just staying within calories this week, no restrictions on the types of food. It's a test for me on a theory about weight loss.... long story...lol
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Good evening and happy Memorial day weekend to all those who are celebrating! Welcome to those of you just joining this fab group and congrats to all of you for just being you! Oh yeah... and for all those NSVs ;)

This evening I want to take a moment and remind all of you how awesome you are! I thank you for being here and supporting everyone who is going through this challenge with you, including yours truly!

Have an awesome week and stay true to who you are!
  • modacielo73
    shirayne wrote: »
    Good evening and happy Memorial day weekend to all those who are celebrating! Welcome to those of you just joining this fab group and congrats to all of you for just being you! Oh yeah... and for all those NSVs ;)

This evening I want to take a moment and remind all of you how awesome you are! I thank you for being here and supporting everyone who is going through this challenge with you, including yours truly!

What's NSVs???
  • rachelbbrinker
    rachelbbrinker Posts: 4 Member
    I am 37 and in need to lose a little over 100 lbs. I been having trouble with staying full. Any pointers??
  • ptkat28

What's NSVs???

@modacielo73 Non Scale Victories
    My NSV's are the 40 inches that I have lost!! YAY!
  • ptkat28
    I am 37 and in need to lose a little over 100 lbs. I been having trouble with staying full. Any pointers??

What are you eating? Eating "empty" carbs will make you hungry and not fill you up as well! I stay full all the time. Feel free to look at my diary if you wish!
  • modacielo73
    My NSV's are the 40 inches that I have lost!! YAY![/quote]

40"????...that's incredible! Way to gooooo!!!!
  • ptkat28
    Thanks @modacielo73 ! I was losing inches really fast in the beginning, but now they have slowed down... oh well! I will keep walking and dancing til I burn all them boogers off!!!LMAO!!!!
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    @ptkat28: Thanks for responding to modacielo73! I didn't get a chance to respond so I'm glad someone did! NSVs are soooo important to keep track of! They can be inches lost, a challenge overcome, buying a piece of clothing 1 size down... anything that you feel is an achievement and should be celebrated! :)

Hope everyone is having a super week!
  • rebekka_davis
    rebekka_davis Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Me too! I just friend requested you. Anyone else, please add me me! I need to lose a total of 150 lbs and I've lost 27 so far!
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm trying to keep up and friend request most of you so we can keep each other motivated. But I'm slacking so feel free to send me a request.

NSV's are great. I love having them especially when the scale hasn't been moving.

Weight loss has been slow lately and its getting me down. I'm sure it's not helping that my depression has been really bad lately. But I haven't turned to food which is a plus side.
  • ptkat28
    I'm trying to keep up and friend request most of you so we can keep each other motivated. But I'm slacking so feel free to send me a request.

NSV's are great. I love having them especially when the scale hasn't been moving.

Weight loss has been slow lately and its getting me down. I'm sure it's not helping that my depression has been really bad lately. But I haven't turned to food which is a plus side.

I totally understand @want2behappy31 , I have anxiety attacks and do not drive unless it is here in town, and by town, I mean a little bitty town in West TN!! My anxiety level has increased some since school let out, so I have been turning to exercise more and not to food.
    @ptkat28: Thanks for responding to modacielo73! I didn't get a chance to respond so I'm glad someone did! NSVs are soooo important to keep track of! They can be inches lost, a challenge overcome, buying a piece of clothing 1 size down... anything that you feel is an achievement and should be celebrated! :)

Hope everyone is having a super week!

And you are welcome @shirayne , that is the one NSV that I could think of off the top of my head! Lol!
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Got a bargain on a fitness tracker- a GNC with as many features as a fitbit flex (but has a display) it's pretty glitchy though- so we will see if I keep it (only cost $35) or pay $100 or more for a better one.

Anyone had success with a inexpensive tracker long term?
  • ptkat28
    @ninthnarnian , I have not gotten a tracker yet... but would love to get one! We have vacation coming up in 2 weeks and all our money is going to that right now :( I do know what my dad would have said tho, you get what you pay for! I would buy the cheap one too :)