What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    smiliekiwi wrote: »
    I heard recently that 80% of thin people did not have to work at it.
    We have different metabolisms and born into different lifestyles. I don’t think we should take the blame for how we got there .. but definitely take the credit for losing it and huge kudos for keeping it off ( the Biggest Loser never had a reunion show for a reason)

I was thin all my life and never had to work at it UNTIL my mid-40s. Went up two sizes that year and then another size the following year. Accepted it as the natural progression of getting older. Wore bigger sizes for at least 8 years (didn’t even diet for my wedding). Finally faced my 162-pound self (I’m 5’4.5” ) and was aghast when I looked at the pictures. Lost 27 pounds. Gained 10 back. Lost 5. Am now trying to lose again. It can become a real struggle EVEN for those who were previously thin!

I echo this. Was very thin all my life growing up, could eat whatever I wanted and even lost just about all of the baby weight after two pregnancies. Didn't start to gain until my mid-late 30s and because it was only about 10 pounds a year it was very gradual and I noticed, but didn't really pay a lot of attention to it because it wasn't too much too fast. Well 10 pounds a year over 5 years is 50 pounds of course and I was 5'4" at 180 in 2014. Lost 55 pounds by early spring of 2016, and now... have gained 35 back over the course of a very stressful year, but want to just lose another 25 as 125 at my age is a bit too thin (wrinkles come out when you're older!). But yes, being thin for a lot of your life- you think of yourself as thin in your mind (I guess the same way people who've been heavy all of their lives have the mental image of being fat). And it's weird, but until you see a photo you don't even see it in the mirror. The struggle will never end and it's very easy to slip into bad habits as maintaining is about 1000 times harder than losing. Hard to find that balance of no longer losing but no gaining either.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,297 Member
    I was going through and untagging myself from facebook photos that were with people I don't like anymore, but then I realized I should save some of them for "before" pictures because I never took any official ones, lol.

Finally. A real use for those stupid things!
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    3. Finding out when you get close to goal weight you can’t depend on your bathroom scale because we are mostly water, so now I get InBody 570 measurements:( fat, muscle, and water percentage measurements

Could you explain this a bit more? Why can't I trust the bathroom scale at goal weight compared to starting weight? I get that InBody is probably more accurate or techinical, so is this because you have some specific goal? Do you do bodybuilding?
  • rossbaker2_sc
    rossbaker2_sc Posts: 43 Member
    chelny wrote: »
    3. Finding out when you get close to goal weight you can’t depend on your bathroom scale because we are mostly water, so now I get InBody 570 measurements:( fat, muscle, and water percentage measurements

Could you explain this a bit more? Why can't I trust the bathroom scale at goal weight compared to starting weight? I get that InBody is probably more accurate or techinical, so is this because you have some specific goal? Do you do bodybuilding?

I think he's trying to track his gains but since he appears to be mainly focused on recomp just following the number on the scale doesn't really show the progress like he wants to.
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    marianlyn wrote: »
    jaroby wrote: »
    This is a little backwards, but I think it still applies :smile:

And after 4yrs of being grateful (I truly do love breastfeeding!!) I am so READY to finally be able to eat in a deficit + lift heavy things and SEE results. I was unprepared for how weary my mind would be as I felt “trapped” in this body, grateful to be breastfeeding, then guilty for feeling “trapped” when this such a special time. I always was “shoulding” on myself. It was a real mental battle! “You should be more grateful for this special privilege instead of wishing for the time when it can be done and you’re ‘free’ to ‘be yourself’ again” bllahhhhhhh.

My body and my mind are ready for a break! And I wish there were more stories of mamas like me out there so when we’re discouraged we can more easily find out that we’re not alone. <3

Well count me as another mama like you! I have carried 3 pregnancies since 2014 and nursed two babies. I’m still nursing the 16 month old. I think I had 2 months off between 1 & 2. (Weaning and then pregnant again). It is exhausting. For me, just wearing a sports bra affected my milk supply! I can’t leave those on any longer than necessary.
    We do give up our bodies and make the baby that we are growing—inside our outside our body—first priority. And it’s ok to feel both frustrated and grateful that we are able to breastfeed and give up our bodies for so long. I’m sure that when I’m old and looking back this will seem like a much shorter season of life than it seems right now.

Yess!!! I had a long break between 1 & 2 but a short break like this between 2 & 3.

I have often thought the same thing! This is SUCH a short time in the grander picture of life. I’m surprised at how weary my mind had become over the last 4yrs of encouraging myself with that reality. It’s like I reached a point a few months ago where I just couldn’t think positively about it any more :smiley: I’m in a much better head space right now. Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    I carry a lot of weight in my cheeks, and I'm starting to look a little bit bobblehead-y because everywhere else is shrinking, lol. I'll take it, keeps the wrinkles at bay.

I agree about the face fullness! My neck especially is a wrinkly mess from not only age but weigh loss! Ugh!
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    I carry a lot of weight in my cheeks, and I'm starting to look a little bit bobblehead-y because everywhere else is shrinking, lol. I'll take it, keeps the wrinkles at bay.

I agree about the face fullness! My neck especially is a wrinkly mess from not only age but weigh loss! Ugh!

I have the opposite problem-my passport problem from my lightest weight makes me look ill, or like I abuse drugs. Anti-wrinkle creams are now a staple in my bathroom
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member

Ugh - wish I had this problem. Overall I do look better 40+ pounds lighter, but my face doesn't have the fullness it used to. It looked good full...not as gaunt. Not that I want to go back but.... *sigh*
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    A real catch-22. I agree with the 'sigh'! Anti-wrinkle creams are a staple for sure...lol!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I love wrapping my hand around my wrist to check how much weight I've lost in a traditionally "bony" area. Used to be I could only just barely touch finger to thumb, but now I can easily get a grip around my wrist. I kind of obsessively do it when I don't have something else to do with my hands and I wonder if my coworkers think I'm weird during meetings haha.

OHMYGODS

...I have just experimented and discovered that I can wrap my thumb and pinky finger around my wrist. Easily.
    I had no idea that was a thing.

Along related lines, definitely nobody told me that my necklaces would become unwearable with half of my outfits. I've somehow gone from needing extension chains on some of them to having even 16" chains dangling irritatingly low on most clothes. Who knew that you could store that much fat on your neck?!

I never knew some people couldn't do this with ther wrists.

I can still barely touch my middle finger to my thumb and I have long fingers and large palms.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Roza42 wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I love wrapping my hand around my wrist to check how much weight I've lost in a traditionally "bony" area. Used to be I could only just barely touch finger to thumb, but now I can easily get a grip around my wrist. I kind of obsessively do it when I don't have something else to do with my hands and I wonder if my coworkers think I'm weird during meetings haha.

OHMYGODS

...I have just experimented and discovered that I can wrap my thumb and pinky finger around my wrist. Easily.
    I had no idea that was a thing.

Along related lines, definitely nobody told me that my necklaces would become unwearable with half of my outfits. I've somehow gone from needing extension chains on some of them to having even 16" chains dangling irritatingly low on most clothes. Who knew that you could store that much fat on your neck?!

I never knew some people couldn't do this with ther wrists.

I can still barely touch my middle finger to my thumb and I have long fingers and large palms.

We all have different body shapes. (: I am def a dress size up from most people my height and weight because my shoulders are, on average, wider than the average woman's.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member

We all have different body shapes. (: I am def a dress size up from most people my height and weight because my shoulders are, on average, wider than the average woman's. [/quote]

I hear you there. I carry my weight in my tummy and legs, but I wear a size larger shirt than pants.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    edited June 2019
    People wanting to give their opinion or get my opinion more.

Giving me their opinion- like I think you have lost too much weight even though I haven’t, that I ate too much/too little, or the I’m surprised you eat blank and lose weight type comments.

Get my opinion- do you think I should this? Or what do you do to lose weight? Eating healthy and exercise is never good enough.

Also buying clothes and shaving is a lot different
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!