Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,728Member Member Posts: 12,728Member Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Since I've lost weight and become much fitter, I get ill less often and less severely.

It used to be that if I caught a cold, I'd have to take two or three days off work. I'd get feverish sometimes to the point of hallucinating (yes, that's for a cold, not 'flu), my nose would run like a tap and prevent me sleeping, it would be so stuffed with gunk that it hurt and stay completely blocked for a week after, and I'd have to take proper behind-the-counter Sudafed for days just so that my Eustachian tubes would occasionally drain and I might avoid the follow-up ear infection. It would take me a couple of weeks to fully recover, even if I didn't get a chest infection.

Now, I only have half a day of feeling really rough before recovery begins. My temperature doesn't even reach hot-and-cold levels, never mind hallucinations. On the second day of the cold I can even breathe through my nose again (albeit with lots of sniffling).

Is this what a cold has always been for most people?

Yikes! Your old colds sound terrible. I still have to take proper, behind-the-counter sudafed to avoid ear infections but the rest of your "now" colds sounds about right. I wonder, do you think some of it might be tied to better nutrition, or did you always eat well, just in greater quantities than necessary?
  • appledawn0422appledawn0422 Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
    palwithme wrote: »
    + You realize you don't need to go into the handicap stall in the bathroom any more to feel like you have enough room. Strange things like that.

Wow!! I didn't realize that's why I go on the handicapped stall.

I just had the exact same realization!
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 1,979Member Member Posts: 1,979Member Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Since I've lost weight and become much fitter, I get ill less often and less severely.

It used to be that if I caught a cold, I'd have to take two or three days off work. I'd get feverish sometimes to the point of hallucinating (yes, that's for a cold, not 'flu), my nose would run like a tap and prevent me sleeping, it would be so stuffed with gunk that it hurt and stay completely blocked for a week after, and I'd have to take proper behind-the-counter Sudafed for days just so that my Eustachian tubes would occasionally drain and I might avoid the follow-up ear infection. It would take me a couple of weeks to fully recover, even if I didn't get a chest infection.

Now, I only have half a day of feeling really rough before recovery begins. My temperature doesn't even reach hot-and-cold levels, never mind hallucinations. On the second day of the cold I can even breathe through my nose again (albeit with lots of sniffling).

Is this what a cold has always been for most people?

Yikes! Your old colds sound terrible. I still have to take proper, behind-the-counter sudafed to avoid ear infections but the rest of your "now" colds sounds about right. I wonder, do you think some of it might be tied to better nutrition, or did you always eat well, just in greater quantities than necessary?

I didn't always eat well, but there were long periods where I was overeating good, nutritious food, and my colds were just as bad.

I spent years believing I was somehow pathetic, judging from how people reacted to my taking days off work for a cold. I didn't realise that other people just weren't suffering the same level of illness.
  • vggbvggb Posts: 75Member Member Posts: 75Member Member
    sorchestra wrote: »
    That when you lose weight by dieting, that diet needs to become a permanent thing to keep the weight off. Maybe not exactly that diet, but if your caloric needs are 2500, and you lose 50 lbs, your caloric needs are going to be much lower, probably around 2000-2100, so, either you need to begin eating a lower amount of food permanently, or actually consistently exercise.

tl;dr dieting is not a one time occurrence, once it's started, it has to continue. You will never be able to go back to your old habits.

This is me, and I'm just getting to the new eating is now the way or "old habit" B)
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,728Member Member Posts: 12,728Member Member
    shunggie wrote: »
    I'm scared of maintenance. I'm still 35ish pounds away but I think I'll have to continue tracking. It's so easy to go from 1600 to 2000, it's a blueberry muffin at Panera. I know that I gained back half of the weight I lost the first time. I do NOT want to do that again. It's harder and slower losing at almost 50 than it was when I was in my 30s...

I'm finding daily weight tracking helpful in this regard. I did it while I was losing as well, so I'm used to my standard fluctuations. Now when I see my trend creeping up, I can easily adjust to get back to where I want to be.