The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Eating cotton balls dipped in orange juice.

Shut up. This isn't actually a thing, right? You made that up. Please tell me you made that up. Please.

that's an old model trick but I knew girls in hs who did that. Fruit juice or flavored Jell-O. also they ate Kleenex. fills you up, 0 calories. sick and sad.

Are we sure kleenex doesn't have calories? I mean, I can't imagine it occurred to them to analyze the nutritional information, but softened processed wood pulp can't be 100% calorie free.
    Check MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kleenex-tissues-89248811
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    can't remeber what they call it, but the one where you eat tons of food..... high carb/calorie/fat diet?

or the one where you basically starve the body.... neither is good for you, might get the result quick, but long term..... not a good idea
  • gmax69
    gmax69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    nickylee76 wrote: »
    At work, we have a lot of really thin Asian ladies. They claim by drinking hot water with their meals, that it melts the fat in their bodies to help stay thin.

HAHA I heard the opposite... Drinking ice cold water burns more calories...Uhhhhh OK?

It takes 1 Kcal to heat 1 kg of water 1℃ so drinking ice cold water burns more calories than room temperature water......it's junior high science.
  • gmax69
    gmax69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Dr. Bernstein. I think it's just a Canadian thing. Medically supervised diet centres where you go on a VLCD (I think it's 500-800 cals), no exercise, very strict list of foods you're allowed to eat. You have to get shots in the butt for the vitamin deficiencies and your hair falls out. It costs $700 a month but hey, you lose weight!
    I've know two people personally who have done it and gained EVERY POUND and then some back.

When I got my BMR tested the tester told me about a 250+ lb guy who's metabolism was destroyed from that diet and his BMR was 800.
  • thinterruption
    Options
    Nutella has 10 calories per table spoon, white bread has 5. (My obese friend eating 30 nutella sandwiches in a row)
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    The other day I saw a post for the 5 bite diet. Uhhh, ok??!! I might could do that. I bet I could fit 1/3 of a steak as one bite... Bahahahahaa!

I saw someone eat a whole big mac in one bite once.. Took me 2 :)

• foodiedesigner
    foodiedesigner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stop eating unleavened flatbread (Chapati) for a month and you'll be size zero in no time. If only it were so easy!!
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    if you are giving birth, eat a pound of butter it will make the baby slide out easier (no really, my mother in law)

Yeah, maybe if you rubbed it all over your hooha first! Jeezus!

This reminds me of the Tina Fey movie, Baby Mama... "I think she wants me to rub olive oil on your taint."
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was told when I first started trying to lose weight, not to lift because of the muscle weighing more than fay thing. Uh, no, it doesn't, it's more dense, a pound is a pound. Plus, I want to be healthier and stronger in general.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    That whole grains and legumes are not healthy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Turning fruits into a juice will help you lose weight.
  • There was one infomercial that I fell for- I forget who it was but this lady had this exercise bar with resistance bands that you did but the weird part was that she said all aerobic exercise was is moving oxygen through your body. So she had this "workout" where you took in a deep breath, held it for a few seconds and then forced it out of your lungs. The program was guaranteed to take so many inches off in the first week (maybe 2-5 I forget), which it did, but I think it was just moving around with the resistance bands a bit, not anything else. Hard to believe what you will pay for when you want to lose weight quickly with no work involved.

Actually there's plenty of work involved. The amount of work, that one has to do to earn the money; to then waste buying that stuff.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    "Don't eat after 7 PM" Not really helpful when you get out of work at 7:30.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA - Pizza the Hut - he was locked in somewhere (I forget) and "ate himself TO DEATH" - quote from Space Balls.[/quote]

I think it was his limo.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    scaryg53 wrote: »
    Yeah I was told when I first started trying to lose weight, not to lift because of the muscle weighing more than fay thing. Uh, no, it doesn't, it's more dense, a pound is a pound. Plus, I want to be healthier and stronger in general.

Kind of going along with that, the whole idea that a woman lifting weights will suddenly become bulky. Ugh.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    If you only cut out sodas you will lose all the weight you want. You might lose the first 10 from not drinking sodas but that will be it unless you exercises and diet. Also every stupid commercial saying if you shake this over your food you will lose weight.

Don't listen to this trash.

How you acquire and maintain your deficit is irrelevant. It absolutely can be done for many folks simply by switching from soda to water.

I have a friend who lost 80 pounds from just switching from soda to water. Nothing else.

• tflyswagg
    tflyswagg Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That girl on YouTube who ate only fruit loops for like a year. Did tons of cardio and you could clearly see no muscle-_- She has since changed her ways I believe but that's horrible.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A Weight Watchers leader told our group to chew up our food and just spit it out. Ummmmm-what? Sounds like an eating disorder.
  • Nina549
    Options
    nickylee76 wrote: »
    At work, we have a lot of really thin Asian ladies. They claim by drinking hot water with their meals, that it melts the fat in their bodies to help stay thin.

HAHA I heard the opposite... Drinking ice cold water burns more calories...Uhhhhh OK?
    Drinking ice water does burn calories because it takes anergy to change the temp of that water for it to run through your system, although it doesn't burn enough calories to help you lose weight
  • I've actually heard about the chocolate diet .. A girl I know did it and she used to be chubby before and now she's super skinny though I don't know how she did it but it's definitely not healthy