Why you don't Excercise

1235»

Replies

• Just curious about the people that are unable to exercise due to disabilities. I have a painful disability that limits my being able to exercise, but I used to love it so much. I still walk on occasion.
    I say if people want to work out super, if they don't want to, super! Who cares it is not your life. So lets just be encouraging for everyone that is here on MFP trying to do what they can do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2015
    cliffodom1 wrote: »
    I look around me at people. they are all...ALL out of shape. I wondered why poople get like that. Do they just wake up one morning and surpise they are out of shape or do they watch a slow decline in conditioning over time. So I googled it and found out that the number one reason people don't work out is they don't find the time in their day.

http://exercise.lovetoknow.com/Reasons_People_Don't_Exercise

I solve that by doing it first. You don't control your day. First you have to get to work then at work your boss controls your time with his tasks then you get home and kids and family take your time with dinner, house chores etc. Then you have to do the TV watching thing and then you have to sleep. Day over and no work out time. I just get up earlier and work out before I get ready for work. Youcan control, that time. Either you sleep or work out. I choose to work out, I can sleep when I die.

I got fat and out of shape slowly...most people do. I put on about 40 Lbs over the course of 8 years.

Growing up I was a competitive athlete from about 2nd or 3rd grade and through high school...then the military...and then even in college I was very active as I didn't own a car and I walked and biked everywhere in addition to exercise.

When I graduated I took a job in a CPA firm working pretty much 12 hour days 6 days per week and traveling about 25 weeks out of the year. At this same time I was starting a family and while I could have and definitely should have made time for regular exercise, it just wasn't a priority at that time.

Also, I would say sleep is pretty important to your overall health and well being and wouldn't discount it by saying I can sleep when I die.

I got back into exercise and fitness about 2.5 years ago and wished I would have kept up with it all along...but alas, priorities were different 10 years ago than they are now.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    When I didn't work out, there were 2 reasons. One is that my thyroid wasn't being treated yet and I could barely keep my eyes open long enough to work an 8 hour day. The other is that I was in an abusive relationship. I got my diagnosis and the right meds slightly before I got up the energy and willpower to leave that jerk (I def think there was a connection, because moving out on someone takes energy!) and then I began to take better care of myself including exercise. Now that I live in an apt complex that has a small gym included, I take advantage of it and work out like a mad woman. Also I managed to find a good man, and we got married, and we work out together. This helps with motivation as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    If people don't work out, it's because they don't want to. People that really want to find time in the day somewhere.
    And for those who say they "really want to" and don't, then you really don't. Barring any physical/health/hormonal issue, there really isn't any reason one couldn't find a workout that suits their situation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    You don't FIND time to work out. You MAKE time to work out. Saying "I don't have time" is a huge cop-out and a sorry excuse not to exercise. If I can get up at 4:30 to get my workout in, they can "find" time in their day as well.

I've heard every excuse on that list - I've even used a couple once upon a time - and they're all ridiculous and/or lies. Limited budget? Since when does it cost money to walk?

It all comes down to one thing: you either want it, or you don't. Simple as that.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    I exercised for a living (working outdoors, hiking, quadding 4x4-ing) that kept me fit and strong for almost 17 years... then I got a factory job where I was on my feet for 10 hours a day building cabinets and furniture so I managed top keep relatively fit while loosing some of the cardio conditioning I had developed from the previouls job.. THEN I got a desk job... and for the better part of 9 years ate like I was still using my body to earn a living... MAN what an eye opener when you look in the mirror and realize your kidding yourself by trying to squeeze into a 38 inch waist... and need to buy a larger belt... THAT was it for me... If I hadn't developed a health issue (undiagnosed type II diabetes for about 3 months) I'd be a bit farther down the road to a leaner fitter me... BUT it is what it is.. life takes over your life a pound a month over 7-8 years... and before you know it... you hate the fact that it's a struggle to tie your shoes...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    rand486 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight fine without exercise. I hate exercise and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to do it. I walk to uni (30 minute walk there, 30 minutes back) three times a week and swim once or twice a week because these are the only forms of exercise that I enjoy. At the weekends I don't even get out of bed :neutral_face:

Whatever your goals are. Just be aware, being skinny is an aesthetic goal that can be done with just restriction of calories. "Health" comes from good nutrition & exercise.

There's a big difference between getting skinny via the Twinkie Diet, vs proper diet & exercise :)

I am very much aware of this. But as my health is bad anyway... (I have a bleeding disorder that, no, is not going to be helped by any amount of vegetables or exercise). I always make sure to hit my protein goals so that I can try to retain muscle. I FEEL fine though. And isn't that what the 'health' goal is about? Feeling healthy? But I already feel healthy, so there's no need for me to exercise to do so. I also never said what my diet was like. We have never had twinkies in the UK :p

Some tesco's have them in the world food aisle :bigsmile:

I misread this as 'whole foods aisle' and was like :noway: :laugh:
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    I don't sugar coat it - I don't work out because I rarely want to. I have a lot of reasons for not wanting to, some that are completely ridiculous, like my hate for showering more than every other day, and others that are more serious, like my social anxiety & complete dislike of the gym. I also just don't really like it. I haven't found anything that I enjoy enough to make me keep coming back, & when I have forced myself to consistently work out I haven't noticed any of the wonderful benefits others apparently do, like more energy and better sleep. I'm a little jelly of you all on that.

But, fact of the matter is, when I REALLY want to work out, I have found ways to make it work - joining teams for sports I enjoy, walking, running, and dvd's or YouTube workouts at home. So I would agree that there is really no excuse for most people other than they really just don't want to. But who are you to judge them for that? Seriously, people have different paths to their end goal. I personally have just assumed that one day it will click for me, kind of like calorie restricting did. One day I'll find something I like & that'll be it. But until then, I'll just be parking farther from class & taking the stairs to get in a little bit of daily exercise, & that's about it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    For the person who doesn't want to exercise in an actual gym due to previous issues... have you considered things you can do at home like workout videos, bodyweight exercises, and even dancing and hooping to whatever kind of music you like? If we didn't live in this location with the little gym attached, that's what I would be doing due to lack of funds for gym memberships. It's a different kind of routine but it works!