Best way to burn 1,000 before bed?

12346»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    You are either very inaccurate in your logging or engaging in unhealthy acts ... which is it @theresaneal77?

Negative net calorie days ... days with positive nets are still in the VLC range.

If its inaccurate, the system is in accurate. Are you saying they are? I have measuring cups and scales that i use. I walk ALOT and ride my bike ALOT. The times are accurate, i dont accomodate for walking or paddling at work. If i go to one of the theme parks, the most i put it as is 90 min of walking.

The system's caloric burns are based on estimates and generalities. If you are honestly burning off as much as you eat ... that is unhealthy activity. If you want to burn off as much as you eat ... that is unhealthy thinking. If you're using measuring cups for solid foods ... that is inaccurate.

As I said, either your log is inaccurate or you are on an unhealthy path ... figure out which it is.
  • theresaneal77
    theresaneal77 Posts: 62 Member
    You are either very inaccurate in your logging or engaging in unhealthy acts ... which is it @theresaneal77?

Negative net calorie days ... days with positive nets are still in the VLC range.

If its inaccurate, the system is in accurate. Are you saying they are? I have measuring cups and scales that i use. I walk ALOT and ride my bike ALOT. The times are accurate, i dont accomodate for walking or paddling at work. If i go to one of the theme parks, the most i put it as is 90 min of walking.

The system's caloric burns are based on estimates and generalities. If you are honestly burning off as much as you eat ... that is unhealthy activity. If you want to burn off as much as you eat ... that is unhealthy thinking. If you're using measuring cups for solid foods ... that is inaccurate.

As I said, either your log is inaccurate or you are on an unhealthy path ... figure out which it is.

How do you measure a cup of lettuce then? Without a scale or measuring cups?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I looked at your diary and it looks like you have a custom setup of 1000 calories a day however it may be more of a mental number for your to reach and when you exercise MFP gives you exercise calories which you eat some of them back (500 to 700 roughly)...

My question is why do you need to have a calorie burn of 1000 more calories than what you exercised earlier in the day?

If I burned all of my allotted calories for the day I would die the next day and be couch ridden and not able to exercise the next day. Plus MFP over estimates calorie burn through exercise immensely no matter the exercise (elliptical, running, cycling).

Your current age, height, weight and activity level (moderate/intense or mosey) affects your calorie burn. You need to re-check the numbers because you are way off plus there is some need for you to lose weight like being on the "Biggest Loser" which they are supervised by doctors... URGGGGG..
  • theresaneal77
    Ok. Let me rephrase the question. Whats an alternative activity that i could do that would equate to about an hour and a half on a bike? Id like to change up my routine a bit.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    First of all, you need to slow the heck down. You can't lose all the weight you want as fast as you want. Your body cannot access more than a certain amount of body fat for energy each day. Once it's done with glycogen and fat, it will go for the muscle.

And, seriously. I am 100% certain that a very low calorie diet and a lot of exercise (which isn't burning as much as you think, but even so, it's a decent amount) is NOT sustainable for you. Yes, for YOU, PERSONALLY.

You did not get to 300 pounds by being someone who is perfectly happy eating 1000 calories a day and riding a stationary bike all evening. It's great that you want to lose some weight and get healthy, but trying to do it too fast and too drastically only guarantees that you'll drop maybe 25 pounds and then gain 50 back after you can't sustain it.

Start with the 2 pounds a week goal and eat what MFP recommends, and lower that to a pound a week once you break through the 200 pound mark. Keep exercising. Don't set time limits on how fast you lose it. The only finish line on getting healthy is in the cemetary. It's never "over," it's how you're living for the rest of your life. And, unless you are 4'9", elderly, and sedentary, 1000 kcal a day won't do it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

You buy a scale. Mine cost me less than $10. You can get a set of measuring cups and spoons even cheaper than that.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    edited February 2015
    nmluna wrote: »
    I can't recommend burning that much more! Have you calculated what your body needs just to survive?? Also.. keep in mind that if you are eating too less of calories - your body will think you are starving and actually slow down your metabolism to protect itself - so under eating will actually deter weight loss. You will get better results with eating right.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/can-more-calories-equal-more-weight-loss.aspx

This times a million. I'm sure it's beating a dead horse at this point, but my goodness-- please listen to the voices of reason here... I'm 5' 6", 133 pounds, and I recently upped by calorie goal from 1200 to 1400 because I constantly felt hungry and wasn't losing any weight... Since I increased my calorie goal (and maintained a steady deficit through exercise) I've lost 4 pounds in approx 2 weeks (coming down from 137). So honestly, don't try killing yourself to lose the weight, or you'll do so in the process, sans weight loss...

I know it's tough, but PATIENCE is the best cure... Don't be afraid to ask your fellow MFP'ers for assistance, advice, motivation. We got you!

• theresaneal77

You buy a scale. Mine cost me less than $10. You can get a set of measuring cups and spoons even cheaper than that.

I have those things :) The only reason I pointed it out was because someone else said that I was inaccurate.
  • brianpperkins
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You are massively overestimating your calorie burn.

For example, playing a full contact, max effort, rugby match (80 minutes) will burn less than 1,000. Running 10miles - that's running, not jogging - will burn that, maybe less. Using an exercise bike at moderate pace for 30 minutes will burn 250 at best.

You either accept that or you will stall, lose motivation, and fail.

The best hope is she is massively overestimating her burn. For a 300 lb person to net a 1,000 calorie exercise burn requires running about 5.5 miles or walking over 11 miles above normal activity levels.

I have those things :) The only reason I pointed it out was because someone else said that I was inaccurate.

Your diary shows inaccuracies. Lettuce is a solid food therefore it gets weighed ... pretty simple.

You still haven't addressed why you would even want to burn off every calorie you eat ... why you would even put yourself in position for negative caloric intake days ...
  • An extra thousand calories is pushing it. Chances are you won't stick with whatever program you choose after a week or two. Its too demanding, especially if you arent already used to training that vigorously. Start with a lower caloric expenditure and frequency goal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Whats the best home exercize that I can do to burn another 1,000 calories within the next few hours? I usually just bicycle as I watch TV but didnt have time today :<

you can work out with some cardio.
  • theresaneal77

For example, playing a full contact, max effort, rugby match (80 minutes) will burn less than 1,000. Running 10miles - that's running, not jogging - will burn that, maybe less. Using an exercise bike at moderate pace for 30 minutes will burn 250 at best.

The best hope is she is massively overestimating her burn. For a 300 lb person to net a 1,000 calorie exercise burn requires running about 5.5 miles or walking over 11 miles above normal activity levels.

Your diary shows inaccuracies. Lettuce is a solid food therefore it gets weighed ... pretty simple.

You still haven't addressed why you would even want to burn off every calorie you eat ... why you would even put yourself in position for negative caloric intake days ...

Again, I have a scale. Here is a pretty easy conversion chart for lettuce, if you REALLY want to nit pick my diary.

http://www.cookitsimply.com/measurements/cups/lettuce-shredded-chopped-0070-0g142.html

I have a timer for my workouts. I'm going by what MFP says for the calories. I don't input my own. It uses a formula. I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned calories burned. I should have just said what = 1 1/2 hours on a stationary bike, going an average of 12 mph?

As for everyone who said I'm going to give up after two weeks, I'd like to point out that this is day 14 for me. I'm not going to go eat a cake or something tomorrow, sorry to disappoint you.

Thanks to the people who gave me suggestions. They are appreciated. I'm planning on going on a jog later and have been doing jumping jacks here and there. :)
  • brianpperkins

Again, I have a scale. Here is a pretty easy conversion chart for lettuce, if you REALLY want to nit pick my diary.

http://www.cookitsimply.com/measurements/cups/lettuce-shredded-chopped-0070-0g142.html

I have a timer for my workouts. I'm going by what MFP says for the calories. I don't input my own. It uses a formula. I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned calories burned. I should have just said what = 1 1/2 hours on a stationary bike, going an average of 12 mph?

As for everyone who said I'm going to give up after two weeks, I'd like to point out that this is day 14 for me. I'm not going to go eat a cake or something tomorrow, sorry to disappoint you.

Thanks to the people who gave me suggestions. They are appreciated. I'm planning on going on a jog later and have been doing jumping jacks here and there. :)

Do you even grasp how unhealthy your actions are if the numbers are accurate?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    FYI...I want to go on record as saying that I think it is unwise what you are wanting to do.

However...

At BEST you will only burn around 10 calories per minute doing HIGH INTENSITY cardio. You would have to keep it up for at least 1hr 40mins to burn 1000 calories. Even extremely athletic people would find that almost impossible.

There are some high burn options though...

One being hiking over rough terrain for a few hours...

Running steps for 1 to 1 1/2 hours...

etc etc

I don't know about you but...I would die!

A smarter choice would be to break your exercise in to periods of about 300 to 350 calorie sessions spread throughout the day. MAKE SURE that you eat enough to fuel that type of workout regime. Off the top of my head that type of schedule would probably put a 300lb person between 2000-2500 calories per day.

Please do some research before you attempt such a schedule...PLEASE.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    wrestle your partner for an hour
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Has no one yet stated the obvious? Four hours of "funky town," duh!