Understanding MyFitnessPal and Apple's Health App together!

Hello! I was wondering if anybody here is using Apple's Health app as their pedometer throughout the day? On my phone (iPhone 6,not sure if its on all iphones) it tracks my movement throughout the day and automatically put's in into my MFP diary as 'excercise' calories (to have back) Does anybody understand how this works? I'm trying to maintain my weight but very panicky about gaining! (I also don't want to lose but that's much less sad!) I get 1940 calories a day, then i have around 400 'excercise' calories added a day from moving around. Am i supposed to eat these to maintain my weight? Sorry for the very long post, thank you for reaading :)

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Yes you are supposed to eat back those exercise calories to maintain. If you have 400 calories from apple, it means you should be walking around miles/day (8000 steps or so).

I tried apple's but found it kind of unreliable. I bought a fitbit zip ($39 on ebay) and use it instead. Not as fancy but it's worked for me for 2 year of maintenance. It will also sync with you iPhone 6.
  • melodyjmorgan
    melodyjmorgan Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for your reply! I use the Nike Fuelband currently. On average i take at least 20,000 steps a day (not weekends) and i do intense workouts, High interval training, for at least 30 minutes 7 times a week. I have 1900 calories a day and never eat back my exercise calories however i relax a lot on the weekends and will often have over 2,500 calories on the 2 weekend days... So hard to maintain, hopefully find a good balance soon!