Exercising

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Yes, wall pushups and knee pushups count! I should get back into doing them.

Major bummer about forgetting the fitbit Marcie! Maybe Courtney will forget hers one day. :)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Uh oh, Courtney has been knocked down to 2nd place, I'm in 3rd now, and Christina S (from NM) is closing in on me. Ha!

I got lots of walking in so far today (walked during my morning break, and then walked for nearly an hour during my lunch break). I'm guessing I'm up to around 8,000 - 9,000 steps now. Now, if only FitBit had an "on your honor" setting where you could manually enter step counts when you forget to wear your FitBit. I can just see it, everyone's step counts would be unbelievably high every day.

When I said "real pushups" I meant with knees on the ground...that's as I real as I ever got. Ha! Yay that wall pushups count!
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    Marcie--do you have a step counter on your phone? I know it's not as accurate as fitbit but at least it would count your movements somewhat! My son uses the one on his iphone and has been walking more to get his number up :) Just a thought for when you have left it home!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks Jannie. I think I do. Based on my previous walks with the FitBit, I pretty much know how many steps I took. The prob is there was no way to log them on the fitbit, so my recorded daily and weekly totals are now short of goal. Oh well, no use crying over spilled steps. Ha!
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    I do the wall push-ups as part of my PT exercises, 2 sets of 10 each. I don't think I've done a "real" push-up since gym class in high school. Eons ago. Until PT, I didn't do any push-ups, aren't those an ice cream treat??

This past Tuesday, I got a new and my last exercise to add to the regimen, "the windshield wiper". It's as deadly as it sounds. What makes this one different is that all the other exercises are at a slow and steady pace, building strength. This one, I'm suppose to do as fast as I can until fatigue sets in. No specific numbers in the set. In the gym, Heather counted just to be able to record how many I can do and I pooped out at about 40.

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Marcie, at least you walked even without it. I think I would want to be lazy then.

Shirley, is it one scoop of ice cream for each push up. :) Is the window wiper waving your arms back and forth?
  • sannferris
    edited May 2015
    I can't find a video or diagram of this exercise, I'll try to explain it later, when I have more time.
  • sannferris
    pmqgdreaz56msss6buvu.jpg
  • arobed53
    :)
  • isyvanek
    I've never done one of those push ups Sheryl! :)
  • sannferris
    They really don't do the body any good, Isabella.

I'm back to try to explain the "windshield wiper". Since I can't find a diagram or video on the internet, maybe this is an exercise that Heather made up herself?

Elbow about shoulder height up against the wall, but no pressure against the wall at the elbow. Body about 45 degree angle from the wall and edge of your hand (with little finger) on the wall. Your hand has pressure on the wall and swing your arm at the elbow to swipe the wall like a windshield wiper as full range as possible, as fast as possible. It hurts and is fatiguing, so it must be good. This sounds so confusing, sorry, I'm a terrible instructor.
  • isyvanek
    I think I get it Sheryl. It does sound like a tough one.
  • arobed53
    Sheryl, that is not easy to do. I thought you gave good instructions. Yesterday I had 1300 steps when we got home from our trip at 8:15. I was just going to leave and decided to try and did get up to 5000 steps while doing my list. Haven't walked with Leslie yet today but that's my plan.
  • arobed53
    I stayed with it and walked three miles with Leslie. Good workout.
  • isyvanek
    Great job!
  • sannferris
    Got the tractor going, so only exercise from lawn mowing will be using my smaller mower in the front yard and big walk behind around the perimeter of the pasture (the tractor is too big to get up close to the fence line). I guess from now on, most pasture mowing will be sitting on the tractor instead of walking behind my big mower.
  • arobed53
    Using the tractor will be fun. I ended up with three of Alan's kids today so I got them to help me pick up toys in the basement. I told them I had room to exercise now and put in my DVD and we did the warm-up together. They did pretty good. Even Ava was trying to walk in place and side-step. Not doing too bad on my steps considering I didn't plan on the time with them here. I did get my walk with whole walk with Leslie in after they left.
  • sannferris
    I logged my walking yesterday as 1 hour at a leisurely pace, that helped with the calories from the guacamole burger. Didn't even put a dent in those onion rings though, I've got to control my eating impulses.
  • arobed53
    Aren't onion rings good though?
  • sannferris
    Waaaaay tooooooo good!!!