FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

1222324252628»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I've seen app updates cause, and sometimes for no reason the same effect - the MFP app setting for Step Source no longer says Fitbit.

The meal totals or MFP workouts still show up in Fitbit with this wrong, but it means the Fitbit data sent over won't be applied to MFP account.

Could that be it?

You might confirm it's correct on app, perhaps toggle it if it appears right, but then also log out of MFP app, and close it.
    And then tackle that setting through online account.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/step_trackers

If MFP items really are going to Fitbit showing the link is there, then change the setting to the effect that seems to be going on - None.
    Then put it back to Fitbit.

Outside that, I had issue once MFP tech support said were non-matching timezones, though both sides said the same visually, but not apparently in the sync packets coming from Fitbit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I've seen app updates cause, and sometimes for no reason the same effect - the MFP app setting for Step Source no longer says Fitbit.

The meal totals or MFP workouts still show up in Fitbit with this wrong, but it means the Fitbit data sent over won't be applied to MFP account.

Could that be it?

You might confirm it's correct on app, perhaps toggle it if it appears right, but then also log out of MFP app, and close it.
    And then tackle that setting through online account.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/step_trackers

If MFP items really are going to Fitbit showing the link is there, then change the setting to the effect that seems to be going on - None.
    Then put it back to Fitbit.

Outside that, I had issue once MFP tech support said were non-matching timezones, though both sides said the same visually, but not apparently in the sync packets coming from Fitbit.

You’re a wizard! That seemed to be it. I had noticed that instead of listing FitBit on my step tracking on the front page it was saying something else but I didn’t clue into it. When I went to the link you posted it had Map My ... selected and not FitBit.

Switched those up and it’s now showing my FitBit step count for today. I guess all the calorie adjustments will come back into play as well?

so13be5qwmb7.png

Thanks so much!
  • heybales
    Adjustments should be back. Not sure what happens today with partial info.
  • waynewilder71
    waynewilder71 Posts: 2 Member
    I have uninstalled, reinstalled, resync and fitbit does not update past the very initial link. Any help?
  • heybales
    This is a sticky FAQ topic actually, not troubleshooting - because the audience is limited to those that happen to notice a new post that is not in main area.

Be best to create a new topic, and be specific as to what does and does not work.
    And specific to Fitbit to fitbit app, or Fitbit to MFP account, or MFP to Fitbit account.
  • bdbdbdbdbdbdbd
    bdbdbdbdbdbdbd Posts: 2 Member
    Fact is for the non-HR devices any step based exercise (walking, running, gym classes, ect) will have a pretty good estimate for calorie burn from Fitbit (if stride length is correct), unless the walking/running is at good incline for good amount of time, because it assumes flat.

So, if I have an HR device, can I turn off auto-recognize walking as an activity, and instead just rely on steps to estimate my calorie burn from walking? Somewhere else in this post, I think you said steps are even more accurate than HR for walking specifically. I'm worried about getting too many points back from logging my walks as an activity.

• heybales
    Fact is for the non-HR devices any step based exercise (walking, running, gym classes, ect) will have a pretty good estimate for calorie burn from Fitbit (if stride length is correct), unless the walking/running is at good incline for good amount of time, because it assumes flat.

So, if I have an HR device, can I turn off auto-recognize walking as an activity, and instead just rely on steps to estimate my calorie burn from walking? Somewhere else in this post, I think you said steps are even more accurate than HR for walking specifically. I'm worried about getting too many points back from logging my walks as an activity.

Steps are more accurate if the stride length has been adjusted to get decent accurate distance.
    Mean daily pace though, not exercise pace. Need stride length for what the majority of day will be, not just 30-60 min of exercise - so usually 1.8 mph for most people.

The steps will be much better than HR for a lower level activity like walking - by HR that would be inflated calorie burn.
    By distance may underestimate a tad, because as I said it doesn't know inclines and that burns a tad more than level, but not that bad.
  • Rethirded
    Rethirded Posts: 1 Member
    Fitbit only syncs food from today and not the ones before

Fitbit on my s10+ sucks. It erases my food when I click on it for past days. So I thought just do it on MFP and sync it. So I deleted all the logs I have for fitbit and when I connected the two it just synced today's food not the ones before (I've been logging food to MFP since June 17)

Anybody has a solution for this?
  • heybales
    Rethirded wrote: »
    Fitbit only syncs food from today and not the ones before

Fitbit on my s10+ sucks. It erases my food when I click on it for past days. So I thought just do it on MFP and sync it. So I deleted all the logs I have for fitbit and when I connected the two it just synced today's food not the ones before (I've been logging food to MFP since June 17)

Anybody has a solution for this?

Oh bummer. I'd ask on a new thread you create, because not many notice adds made to the FAQ which isn't really for troubleshooting.