320 pounds on 1,700 a day?????

1234568»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    A lot if people choose to save their calories until later in the day, because that's when they want more food. Meal timing is irrelevant as long as you maintain your calorie deficit.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    SOMEONE clearly needs to read the guidelines as to what constitutes a post to be flagged! Some of these just seem ridiculous and unnecessary. Stop flagging people just because you disagree with what they are saying or because you are so set in your own way you don't want to listen to other peoples advice/opinions/successful experiences.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Sassyk35 wrote: »
    BMR = 2,244. TDEE is 2,692

So 2 pounds a week would mean I should eat 1,700 a day :( maybe it's just all in my mind. I am at a loss. Seriously feel like crying again. I've never been so sad.
    I just started on this site Friday I feel the same way I'm hungry at night but late night.
    What is BMR & TDEE?
    I'm 36 5'2 & 270 my calorie intake I'd 1330 I'm just going on what MFP told me

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - what your body would burn if it slept all day, doing the basic life functioning metabolic functions.
    Expensive test to measure, though there is a cheaper test for slightly higher RestingMR (RMR).
    Otherwise estimated on gender, age, weight, height (like Harris BMR from 1919 study, or more recent Mifflin BMR that MFP/others use) which can tend to be inflated estimate as you carry more fat weight.
    Or estimated on weight, bodyfat % (Katch BMR formula) which can tend to under-estimate as you carry more fat weight.
    You obviously burn more as soon as you wake up.
    Most realize there is a line in the sand between reasonable and unreasonable eating levels, between stressful to body and just enough to lose fat - some choose this number as that line in the sand since they don't have lab tests out the whazoo as some would have in research studies.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - what you burn daily in your activity.
    Includes what you burn sleeping (BMR), processing food you ate (TEF), daily activity (NEAT), specific exercise (EAT).
    Expensive to measure also, and cheapest way is the daily activity trackers that estimate BMR, good at NEAT, maybe decent at EAT depending on workouts and device, and leave out TEF as unaccounted.
    Usually estimated by looking at weekly average activity level, and averaging back to a daily level so you have a single number.

MFP is literally doing a daily TDEE estimate, except they start with no exercise included, so all of it but EAT, then you add exercise (EAT) when actually done.

Other sites referenced in this topic do a weekly average activity TDEE estimate, which sadly is based on same 1919 study with Harris BMR, and only talks about exercise, not increased daily activity.

Use MFP correctly and it'll work fine - be honest with your non-exercise activity level (NOT Sedentary if you have kid/s), and reasonable weight loss goal for amount to lose, and then log exercise when actually done - and meet the daily goal given to you.

Both methods average out to the same results usually, if you pick the same selections, but one you are dinged if you don't do your workout, one you are rewarded to eat more if you do.
    Depends on what is better motivator for you, and easier to adhere to, static or dynamic number daily.

Just don't imagine bigger deficit is better - it's not.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member

So 2 pounds a week would mean I should eat 1,700 a day :( maybe it's just all in my mind. I am at a loss. Seriously feel like crying again. I've never been so sad.
    I just started on this site Friday I feel the same way I'm hungry at night but late night.
    What is BMR & TDEE?

@Sassyk35 At 270, if you're accurate and honest about your intake, you can eat a lot more than 1330 every day and not be hungry at night and still lose weight. Maybe start your own thread so people can give you targeted advice?
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »

What is BMR & TDEE?

@Sassyk35 At 270, if you're accurate and honest about your intake, you can eat a lot more than 1330 every day and not be hungry at night and still lose weight. Maybe start your own thread so people can give you targeted advice?
    OK Thank you