trying to cut: change lifting plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• V2Win1000
    V2Win1000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues last year and honesty its just the hurdle before the next level. Im 216, 5'7, with body fat in the low teens. The problem i had was being able to complete a brutal heavy work out without gassing out hard from a 2000cal diet. My deficit cal deficit for my lean mass was massive kind of like yours only i solved my energy and fat loss plateau issues not with adding any callories, but by fine tuning my macros! Once i got my protein intake to about a gram per pound of body weight that solved a whole lot. Managing your fat and carbs is also key, but if you youtube "counting macros" you'll learn how to get your diet ironed out without adding calories. Homestly with all the chicken, broccoli, sweet potato, steel cut oats, and eggs i eat i honestly have to force feed myself to reach 2000cal and thats at over 200grams of protein! Lean" bro foods" fill you up and leave you well satisfied beyond your callororic value. I could break it down so much more, but just give your body what it needs in protein, fat, and carbs and the massive deficit won't hurt you.. On the contrary im building lean strength at my maximum rate and simultaneously cutting 2lbs a week.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with cuts, it's an environment for injuries. I take it super easy with the sports when I'm cutting nowadays, and get it more from the calorie deficit. It's best to lift carefully, walk, swim, that kind of low impact stuff.

Unless you're really experienced save the heavy stuff for when you're on maintenance, or bulk. They are all completely different phases.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Lower back pain like that could be a handful of things. It could be sciatica, pinched nerve, hosed up disc, muscle strain, etc.

Whatever it is, take at least a couple of weeks completely off of lifting. I'm dead serious about that. When you come back, deload - by a lot.

I had a similar problem a few months back - appears to have been nothing terribly serious, so I got lucky. I did what I suggested to you and I'm fine now. It made me reexamine my form on a squats and deadlifts - things are pretty well fixed and now I'm finding my lifts going up (somewhat slowly, but that's to be expected at this point). Like I said, I got lucky.

If things aren't feeling better in a week, see a doctor.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with cuts, it's an environment for injuries. I take it super easy with the sports when I'm cutting nowadays, and get it more from the calorie deficit. It's best to lift carefully, walk, swim, that kind of low impact stuff.

Unless you're really experienced save the heavy stuff for when you're on maintenance, or bulk. They are all completely different phases.

I definitely agree. When I finally get to my cut I'm cutting my volume way down. It's hard to lift hard in a deficit.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Damnit. I think I hurt myself. Finishing my first set at 235 and it didn't few right coming out of the hole. My lower back hurts immediately in the right hand side. I waited 5 minutes and attacked the second set but felt it right from the start to the point of being almost unbearable on the last rep. I waited 5 more minutes and tried one rep before I called it.

I'm doing my ohp now but I think I'm skipping deadlifts tonight with my back feeling this way.

Yikes. Please rest that back. I didn't rest long enough after an injury, made it worse, and now I still can't deadlift 8 months later.