why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin...

The process of converting protein to glucose through gluconeogensis is not thermodynamically favorable. What this means, it just takes more energy to convert specific amino acids to glucose. I see data that suggests your metabolic rate raises on a ketogenic based diet. This was done on people in a calorimeter, with a tighly controlled diet.

So you can sit there eat 2000 calories of a carb based diet with no results due to your TDEE being 2000. Switch over to a low carb diet and your metabolism can increase above 2000. You can sit there eating 2000 calories of a protein based diet and lose weight. Then you come to the conclusion, "i am eating the same as before."

Someone said something about fat and satiety. That theory was a long time ago, I would assume in the late 1990's. Fat supposedly triggers CCK(Cholecystokinin) which makes you feel fuller. But we also have to keep in mind if that's even true, fat is still double the calories.

There is also some people talking about eating a lot of fat such as in keto, the fat comes out the other end. I mean we all heard of floaters... so Idk. It's a possibility.

I'm going to focus on the bold part since I've never seen the data you suggest in the first paragraph.

I don't understand what you mean that fat is double the calories, as in what that means to low carb diets? Low carb dieters don't take the 100g of carbs they would eat otherwise and go and eat 100g of fat instead because they cut those 100g out. I guess I'm confused on what that line meant.

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

I understand that. I'm just not sure what the poster meant by that line. That since a gram of fat is double the calories that is why people claim to feel more full, that there are more calories per gram? Just not sure. Either way, I think that feeling full is a big plus for people that eat LCHF.

I feel full and don't eat LCHF.....not sure why LCHFers think they are the only ones to feel full

The difference is that the low carbers who eat high fat will feel full (synonymous with not feeling hungry or weak from hunger) not for 6-8 hours, but from 8-16 hours or longer. I can eat dinner at 8pm, go to bed, wake up at 6am, have 200 calories of heavy whipping cream, and I am good til about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

This is my eating pattern, and this is the methodology behind keto/lchf. If I have no desire to eat Anything, I have no overeating challenges. And its not an eating disorder...I eat like a slob at night.

What are you trying to say here?

I can't feel full because I don't wait 8-16 hours between meals?

No, what I mean is that I see tons of threads about how people have reached their calorie allowance by 3 or 4 pm, with 5 or 6 hours to go and come on the threads looking for advice. I dont have this issue. Most days, I dont have the opportunity to overeat. I am not saying that anyone who has carbs doesnt feel full. You said that. I am just saying that I can operate all day on just a few hundred calories of fat in the morning, whereas -most- people will have to eat something to sustain. That is all I am getting at.

But this is the same for any diet.

There are LCers who do have the opportunity to overeat. Who don't feel full.
    There are plenty of non LCers who feel full.

It's not black and white.

Saying that LCers like the benefit of feeling full is NOT saying that those that eat higher carb diets don't feel full. NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.

ETA: if you feel full that's great for you. Personally I don't feel full after eating oatmeal or cereal. So I focus calories on eggs, butter, cheese, etc which help me feel more full. That doesn't mean YOU don't feel full on oatmeal or toast with peanut butter or whatever you eat in the morning.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

The process of converting protein to glucose through gluconeogensis is not thermodynamically favorable. What this means, it just takes more energy to convert specific amino acids to glucose. I see data that suggests your metabolic rate raises on a ketogenic based diet. This was done on people in a calorimeter, with a tighly controlled diet.

So you can sit there eat 2000 calories of a carb based diet with no results due to your TDEE being 2000. Switch over to a low carb diet and your metabolism can increase above 2000. You can sit there eating 2000 calories of a protein based diet and lose weight. Then you come to the conclusion, "i am eating the same as before."

Someone said something about fat and satiety. That theory was a long time ago, I would assume in the late 1990's. Fat supposedly triggers CCK(Cholecystokinin) which makes you feel fuller. But we also have to keep in mind if that's even true, fat is still double the calories.

There is also some people talking about eating a lot of fat such as in keto, the fat comes out the other end. I mean we all heard of floaters... so Idk. It's a possibility.

I'm going to focus on the bold part since I've never seen the data you suggest in the first paragraph.

I don't understand what you mean that fat is double the calories, as in what that means to low carb diets? Low carb dieters don't take the 100g of carbs they would eat otherwise and go and eat 100g of fat instead because they cut those 100g out. I guess I'm confused on what that line meant.

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

I understand that. I'm just not sure what the poster meant by that line. That since a gram of fat is double the calories that is why people claim to feel more full, that there are more calories per gram? Just not sure. Either way, I think that feeling full is a big plus for people that eat LCHF.

I feel full and don't eat LCHF.....not sure why LCHFers think they are the only ones to feel full

The difference is that the low carbers who eat high fat will feel full (synonymous with not feeling hungry or weak from hunger) not for 6-8 hours, but from 8-16 hours or longer. I can eat dinner at 8pm, go to bed, wake up at 6am, have 200 calories of heavy whipping cream, and I am good til about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

This is my eating pattern, and this is the methodology behind keto/lchf. If I have no desire to eat Anything, I have no overeating challenges. And its not an eating disorder...I eat like a slob at night.

No, what I mean is that I see tons of threads about how people have reached their calorie allowance by 3 or 4 pm, with 5 or 6 hours to go and come on the threads looking for advice. I dont have this issue. Most days, I dont have the opportunity to overeat. I am not saying that anyone who has carbs doesnt feel full. You said that. I am just saying that I can operate all day on just a few hundred calories of fat in the morning, whereas -most- people will have to eat something to sustain. That is all I am getting at.

Saying that LCers like the benefit of feeling full is NOT saying that those that eat higher carb diets don't feel full. NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.

the previous poster said "LCHF feel full and that is a benefit" the implication would be that they would not feel full on a high protein diet, which is not the case….Do you even logic?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    200 grams a day (35%) is restricting carbs…really???

According to the Food and Nutrition Board, carbs should be from 45% up to 65%:
    https://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx

Yours are just moderately low, but still lower of what is usually recommended.
    Sorry, bro, I understand it can be shocking, but you are on the low carb wagon...
  • MelRC117
    Options

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

the previous poster said "LCHF feel full and that is a benefit" the implication would be that they would not feel full on a high protein diet, which is not the case….Do you even logic?
    Maybe some people wouldn't feel full? Some people wouldn't feel as satisfied with your macros. Some people wouldn't feel satisfied with mine.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't agree (with Mr. Knight), and would seriously enjoy a truly sensible discussion on this point.

The way I think of it is that correct information is necessary, because it helps people make sensible decisions. Knowing that calories are what matter for weight loss is step one.

I am more in line with Mr Knight, the specific thing I have an issue with is saying to someone "eat what you like only calories matter" when there's plenty of evidence that the composition of what you eat is a factor. This sort of advice is frequently pushed at someone opening a thread asking about how to cut their sugar or how to eat low carb / keto or whatever.

I think you are misinterpreting what I said. I didn't say "eat what you like only calories matter." I said "calories are what matter for weight loss" (which is true--the different costs of digestion make little difference within the range of macro mixes that people really eat). AND I said that you should use that as you will, because of course what you eat affects nutrition and how satisfied you will feel. But contrary to some low carb evangelists, the actual effect of different macro mixes or different foods varies from person to person. I find potatoes quite satiating. Again, it's like how the average person does better eating breakfast or lots of mini meals, but someone who doesn't and thinks it is required will get in trouble. I could not do mini meals, ugh.

The point is that individuals should make the decision on what works best for them based on the factual information about how it works (calories are what matters, it's not true that you can't lose if you eat too much sugar).

Those arguing the contrary seem like they are worried that if people have truthful information and aren't first told what they MUST do, that they will make bad choices. Kind of seems like an argument that we should tell people that if they smoke pot they will go insane or end up on meth, because otherwise they might try it and end up potheads. I think the truth is always preferable.

I also think the basics are important for nutrition and maintaining basic health (the same kinds of things you mentioned), but I don't think there's too much risk that people are going to end up eating a completely unbalanced (extremely low protein or fat) diet (although some do seem to do okay on 80-10-10, much as I think it's not ideal), so there's no need to over complicate it. If they really look at their diets and don't see the issues, then struggle, people always say "eat more protein" or "eat more fat." But one key differences is I think people do know what a balanced meal looks like, even though some don't care.

As for threads about cutting sugar, I agree that "why cut your sugar" is an unhelpful response, but it's a weird question to start with. You cut your sugar by eating fewer foods (or smaller portions of such foods) with sugar in them, obviously. People read these threads as "how do I get the willpower to cut out sweets entirely," and the answer is that if it's a huge struggle, maybe you don't need to. (I always tell people what I did and ask what specific thing they are having trouble with, since the answer otherwise is too obvious.)

I don't think the "you must stop eating all sugar (sometimes even low carb is recommended), including fruit, until the craving goes away" is helpful either, and it's posts like that that tend to create the arguments.
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This ^^
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I think you're overstating the incidence of the "only calories matter" advice happening, particularly in the context of it happening in vacuum.

This is possible, it's also possible you're understating it. We see confirmation bias wherever we recognise it. It didn't take me long to find one to quote, that's for sure. Perhaps I should count them.

It would be nice if someone asking for advice on how to do a low carb diet or reduce their sugar intake could be helped rather than told it's unnecessary or they're doing it all wrong, don't you think ?

Well, I always steer those looking for help on low carb to the low carb threads and correct them if they are trying to do low carb and low fat (I hope I'm not supposed to respect every macro choice even if it seems based on a misunderstanding). I ALSO tell them, especially if they seem to have bought into misinformation about low carb being necessary and are struggling, that low carb works for some because it helps with hunger, but it is the calorie deficit that causes weight loss, and that low carb is not needed. I further say that I think macro mix is individual and encourage them to try low carb if they think they might enjoy it.

On lowering sugar, I answered that before, but I give advice on those too, while pointing out that they don't need to give up added sugar (and certainly not fruit), but that I understand that people may find it helpful at least for a time and I did.

I also try not to assume they mean cutting it out when they probably just mean eating less. But I continue to find the question weird since the answer is so obvious. If they mean how not to get tempted/give in to temptation they should really ask that.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I transitioned to a low carb lifestyle a little over a year ago. I used the Atkins program as a guide, and it helped me lose over 60 pounds and actually keep it off.

I am now in the pre-maintenance phase. My diary is public so you can see what that looks like for me. I eat a lot of dark chocolate, greek yogurt, berries, nuts, veggies, and a moderate amount of protein and cheese.

While I didn’t pay attention to calories while I was losing weight, that’s not to say calories didn’t matter. I had to have a significant caloric deficit to lose as much weight as quickly as I did. The beauty of it was I didn’t realize or even think about it.*

Yes, I believe you need a caloric deficit in order to lose weight, but I’ve also come to realize there is a lot more to it than just CICO. The best result of this lifestyle change was actually not the weight loss. It got me asking questions about the quality of my food, where it comes from, how my body reacts to different types of food, and I started researching beyond just the Google and Yahoo News headlines.

I really like this lecture by the author Jonathan Bailor. A light bulb really went off for me when I saw this, and I highly recommend it. Favorite quote: “If you focus on the quality of the food you eat, the quantity will take care of itself.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ewexMZ1-o

*Some low carbers still need to watch calories as their bodies do not give them the signal for being full, or there is an emotional eating component that needs to be addressed. It is very possible to overeat on a low carb diet and not lose weight. Like with any way of eating, it can be taken to extremes, misunderstood, or done incorrectly.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

https://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx

Sorry, bro, I understand it can be shocking, but you are on the low carb wagon...

LOL @ 200g of carbs being low carb....

Nice 12 year old "report"
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »

I think you're overstating the incidence of the "only calories matter" advice happening, particularly in the context of it happening in vacuum.

This is possible, it's also possible you're understating it. We see confirmation bias wherever we recognise it. It didn't take me long to find one to quote, that's for sure. Perhaps I should count them.

It would be nice if someone asking for advice on how to do a low carb diet or reduce their sugar intake could be helped rather than told it's unnecessary or they're doing it all wrong, don't you think ?
    Isn't telling someone they're unnecessary helping them?

Is it helping people who ask about taking up running to tell them that running is unnecessary? Because it is, but it would be generally viewed as trollish to go into all the running threads and tell people not to bother.

Sometimes, and I've seen it happen. If someone is overweight and feels uncomfortable running or hates running and posts about struggling with it, people--correctly, IMO--tell that person that running or other intense exercise is not necessary, that you can start (and even continue) just by walking, that there are other exercises they might enjoy.

If someone is posting about loving running and people tell them to stop, that's obnoxious, but I don't agree that happens. I've posted lots of times about limiting the amount of sugar I eat (as does basically everyone dieting), and no one cares. Moreover, I've posted lots about actually cutting out added sugar from time to time (I did in January, as well as in the past), and no one has criticized me for that. I get that my strategies may not be what others would like or consider sensible, but I also did not start a thread in January about how hard cutting out sugar was and asking how I could keep from eating that devil sugar.

When people ask me how to cut down I post about various strategies including the fact I have cut it out at times and no one gets rude about that, so I have to assume THAT'S not what people are objecting to, but either the moralizing (eating sugar is BAD), claims that cutting it out is NECESSARY for all, or analogies with addiction (which I personally think are counterproductive and wrong).
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    Nice 12 year old "report"

do you mean that the recommended carbs have been lowered?
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb and I do find I feel less hungry and get less blood sugar swings
    ( subjectively, I'm not actually tracking my blood sugar). However when I logged the calories of what I was eating on the low carb program it was under 1300 per day.

I just don't find it sustainable though. I get major carb cravings and tend to over eat them when I go off the plan. So in the long run this kind of eating plan just doesn't work for me.

I still try to stick to complex high fiber carbs and try to avoid white flour and sugar as I don't think there is much nutrition in those foods and I don't exercise enough to burn them off.

I think nutritionally dense foods with a good mix of healthy fats, protein and complex carbs is a more realistic plan for long term weight management.

CICO is a basic concept of science and I don't think it can be debated unless the laws of thermodynamics have suddenly changed. If that is true then we are all in trouble :)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

That's not really a question that needs answering, since it never gets asked. I think most people who come on wanting to cut carbs know how to do it already.

It gets refuted when people think they HAVE to do it lose weight. They're not universally told that it's all wrong, and most of the non-low carbers in this thread tell them to give it a try, and if it works, great, if it doesn't there are other options. They are always advised that the idea is to find a sustainable way of eating is best.

The thing is, you're always going to have outliers on the forums who advise in the extreme. That can't be helped.

Lol, that's not what happens, though. What often happens is a 10-page thread of pictures of donuts and cheesecake.

thats because the "sugar/carbs are bad" threads go off the rails by page four ...

not just the sugar is the devil threads end up like that. I've seen many threads where the OP is asking how to cut back on carbs or sugar (without mentioning that they think carbs are bad) and pictures of Donuts show up. I understand asking people why..because no one should HAVE to completely cut things they really want to eat without medical reason..but it gets out of hand far too often.

...i eat and enjoy low carb Cheesecake.
  • ndj1979
    Options

That is a 13 year old report..

How many low carvers get 200 grams of carbs a day??????
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

I repeat the question I asked to your friend: do you mean that the recommended carbs have been lowered?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

I repeat the question I asked to your friend: do you mean that the recommended carbs have been lowered?

It's a report....Where's the science?
    200g of carbs is not low carb
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

I personally wouldn't..

but I would never say that it applies to everyone else.

Maybe wording it as 'lchf keeps me satiated moreso than anything else I've tried' would have been better. Not everyone is a wordsmith.

Or maybe I give other people too much credit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

and I will repeat my question ..how many low carbers are eating 200 grams of carbs a day?
  • MelRC117
    Options

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

I personally wouldn't..

but I would never say that it applies to everyone else.

Maybe wording it as 'lchf keeps me satiated moreso than anything else I've tried' would have been better. Not everyone is a wordsmith.

Or maybe I give other people too much credit.

I don't understand how saying "*I* feel more full" equates to "everybody feels full eating low carb and can't possibly feel that way eating any other way". What people experience doesn't have to be the same as you experience.