Proper things to say to coworkers or people you don't know as well...

Options
1235»

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Because it's civil convention. They aren't telling you want to do really, they are probably trying to be nice. When you say you can't have something because you are on a diet, it's human nature to respond, "Hey - you look great. Treat yourself."

And it's arrogant and rude to diagnose people by saying they are projecting or lacking self discipline. That's ridiculous.

I understand it's annoying, but if you think the world is out to get you all the time, then you will drive yourself crazy. I would honestly stop trying to be offended and let it roll off your shoulder.

Have you never had people try to sabotage your diet before? I haven't had it much, but I know someone who gets it a lot.

I've had people say things to me - and I just smile, nod and walk on down the hall. I don't let it bother me and I don't assume people are trying to offend, be mean or that they are jealous. I take it as an attempt at conversation.

Sabotage? I make the choices about what I eat and when I eat. There is no such thing as "sabotage" in my world.

I'm going to have to agree with you. At the end of the day, if someone is offering me pizza, burgers, pancakes, donuts, cake, or even a kilo of cocaine, it's my decision to consume any of those items, not theirs. So the only one sabotaging a diet would be me.

Most of the time when people offer, they're trying to be nice or social. If I got upset any time someone brought a pastry into our office at work, or we ordered pizza, I'd have sky-high blood pressure and zero friends. It's not that big of a deal to me. So I eat rabbit food sometimes. Whatever. If my eating a salad is the most atrocious thing they see that day, well then they're having a damn good day and I'm enjoying a damn good salad.

ETA: If it does bother you, OP, be firm and stand your ground with food. Chances are, people are trying to be kind in offering things as sometimes it's easy to bridge a gap or be social with food... it's not meant to be malicious.

Agreed. People are busy dealing with their own stuff. Why on earth would they contrive to force you to put on weight? People here are very quick to say "sabotage" or "haters gotta hate" but the reality is its probably thoughtless politeness - it's rude not to offer to share if you have treats.

potate.png

I'm saving this for future reference :smile: