What do you all do with sweet potatoes?

Replies

• I cube them and bake them with chopped bell peppers! It adds flavor!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    you dont wanna know ;)
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    I just made a sweet potato and carrot soup! I'm not sure how many serves I'll get out of it yet but 8 serves is 122 calories and 6 makes it 162.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    web-Winter-Squash-Soup-044.jpg

for some reason it's infuriating how those bowls are spaced apart for no reason, with that disgusting rusty looking spoon, all trying to make some artsy photo

Never noticed the rusty spoon, lol. It is good soup though; I'm making it tomorrow. :smile:

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    web-Winter-Squash-Soup-044.jpg

for some reason it's infuriating how those bowls are spaced apart for no reason, with that disgusting rusty looking spoon, all trying to make some artsy photo

Never noticed the rusty spoon, lol. It is good soup though; I'm making it tomorrow. :smile:

can you email me some :tongue:
  • There is SO much you can do with sweet potato. If you peel one (or more) and cut them up into wedges you can glaze them with olive oil and pop them in the oven for 45 minutes until soft throughout and crispy on the outside, these can be dipped in things like hummus as a snack or enjoyed as a side dish to a meal. If you have a large sweet potato you could use it as a 'jacket potato' bake it, split it and fill it with whatever you wish! They can be used to make things like cakes and brownies and other delicacys and the list is endless! Get researching!
  • Markhayhurst85
    Markhayhurst85 Posts: 2 Member
    Just mainly cut them into wedges, lather in coconut oil with garlic salt, paprika and basil, sometimes with fresh chillies, bake them for 45 mins
  • jamesmorin59
    jamesmorin59 Posts: 37 Member
    I like to bake or roast orange flesh sweet potatoe
    But much rather white flesh sweet potatoe for mash because it's less sweet, only discovered white flesh sweet potatoe recently!
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    I love sweet potato weges, flavoured with a bit of chilli for an extra kick.

Or I bake them and eat with cottage cheese like a jacket potato.

Soup is nice too, mixed with butternut squash is my favourite.

Or I boil them, mash,mix with flour + egg and then turn into sweet potato cakes.

Getting hungry now....
  • Ice_Arrows
    Ice_Arrows Posts: 46 Member
    I eat them :p
    Mashed with a little butter, black pepper and garlic is very tasty too
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Typically I just bake them.
  • I like to boil them for a few minutes, then cut them into wedges, season, and put on the grill for a few minutes.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Baked, marshmallows on top, culinary torch. Adds very few calories and tastes decadent.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    I'm having two Baked Sweet potato and chilli Con Carne with cottage cheese for dinner tonight. Food of the gods.
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    made this not too long ago: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chipotle-smashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe.html ... DELICIOUS!

i also like to sautee greens (kale or spinach) with garlic, onions, beans (garbanzos or cannellini) and balsamic vinegar and serve over the top of a baked sweet potato.
  • mkbunny
    mkbunny Posts: 23 Member
    They are great curried!
  • mkbunny
    mkbunny Posts: 23 Member
    Curry with some ginger and bake along side a piece of chicken.
  • jessicadb2
    jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2015
    Bailey_432 wrote: »
    I LOVE sweet potato! They're sooooo yummy :wink:

What do you all do with sweet potato?

I totally agree. Even my seven year old son likes them and asks for them whenever I make them. It is funny how people are saying how healthy sweet potatoes are over a plain potato now. Personally, I think that may just be because sweet potatoes are so good and people like them better. I like sweet potatoes cooked in the microwave or pressure cooker or oven and then sprinkled with some cinnamon, xylitol, and sometimes olive oil if I need some fat for the day or without if i don't. It is good either way. I have heard that it can replace regular potatos in just about any recipe.
  • hannahmichellemartin7
    hannahmichellemartin7 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Double baked fajita stuffed sweet potatoes! So good. You just bake the sweet potatoes, then once they are soft, you take the potato out of the skin and mash them. Insert mashed potato back in the skins, and bake them again. When they're done, you top them with chicken, peppers, onions and seasonings. Eat with salsa and sour cream. They're amazing!
  • lmhallas
    lmhallas Posts: 15 Member
    Potato au gratin. Slice thin sweet potatoes and regular potatoes and build layers in a small casserole dish with a little olive oil or butter with some cheese in between the layers. Bake in the oven. Till golden