Newbie :) Almost 300 pounds and scared to death

Options

Replies

• sub186
    sub186 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hope all is going well. Log, log, log, Walk, Walk, Walk. I try to do 10,000 steps a day. Some days it's very hard. I bought a small step that I use. Instead of sitting on the couch watching TV I step in front of it. I stated this journey end of November thinking it wasn't going to work. I've been logging for 130 days now and down 46 pounds. I have my daughter take pictures of me every month (head, side and full front). It helps to compares. I still see myself as the heavy picture. Keep working on it even if you have a bad day. Good luck.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So nice to meet you!
    I am 27 and just recently hit 305 pounds, it was devastating. We can do this pretty lady! I believe in us! I would love to be able to have other women to help motivate me and understand exactly what I am going through as well.

• moonjewel76
    moonjewel76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want more motivation <3
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    sub186 wrote: »
    Hope all is going well. Log, log, log, Walk, Walk, Walk. I try to do 10,000 steps a day. Some days it's very hard. I bought a small step that I use. Instead of sitting on the couch watching TV I step in front of it. I stated this journey end of November thinking it wasn't going to work. I've been logging for 130 days now and down 46 pounds. I have my daughter take pictures of me every month (head, side and full front). It helps to compares. I still see myself as the heavy picture. Keep working on it even if you have a bad day. Good luck.

^^^This!!! You are doing great!
  • CatherineBayley
    CatherineBayley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We ca do thus together
  • couponwheelie
    couponwheelie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I need to lose about half of myself, and that is just so daunting on this first day of beginning. But I am confident I can do it, and reading your success stories is such an inspiration to me!! I could really use a friend or two (or three :)), so I hope I meet some new people that have been through this same journey or are on the same path as I am. One day at a time, right?

xoxo Julie

I just wanted to say hi. I am 47 and also need to lose half of myself. (Currently 264)I am a wheelchair user following a critical illness and learning to walk again. I'm trying to lose weight by watching my food intake so that it will be easier for me to use my walker. Oh, and I am also a Julie! :) Feel free to add me if you like.
  • moonjewel76
    moonjewel76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, I did well for about a month and then spiraled down to the abyss and am now at my personal all-time highest weight: 301. I don't understand what the mental block is. I KNOW what is right and wrong. Why do I keep doing this?
  • msaprillynn
    msaprillynn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can do it girl, just stay positive and take it one day at a time! Feel free to add me :)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I did well for about a month and then spiraled down to the abyss and am now at my personal all-time highest weight: 301. I don't understand what the mental block is. I KNOW what is right and wrong. Why do I keep doing this?

We all "know" what to eat, and how to lose weight. You keep yourself trapped, because you lose focus and motivation. I KNOW I need to lose weight, for my health. But, exercise is SO difficult at my weight, just thinking about it is exhausting. So much easier to eat a bowl of ice cream...

Just do one day at a time. One burpee is better than none. You don't have to change all at once. Just do one change today.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Can you recognize what set you into a spiral?
    Admit it, own it, and move on.
    Maybe find more filling low cal. foods.
    Good Luck, I know you can do this !!!!
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Moon! You can totally do this! I was in the same boat as you when I started, it's taken me 6 months to lose 45lbs. I'm not even looking at my goal weight at this time, just setting weekly & monthly goals for myself and when I reach one, I reward myself (mostly in goodies from Ulta or Sephora). It really is about taking it one day at a time. If you fall off track one day, get right back on the next. Log in every day, read the message boards, interact with your MFP friends. Make it a major part of your life. I have a million inspirational quotes & pictures up in my cubicle at work & on my refrigerator at home just to keep it in the forefront of my mind. The time I used to spend watching news in the morning before work I go to the gym & swim & get my news on my phone instead. In the evening after work instead of vegging out in front of the t.v. I go work in my yard or do some laundry or dishes or whatever, which is awesome because I'm not sitting on my booty doing nothing & it frees me up on the weekends to do more fun stuff instead of housework.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Everybody here started at day 1 at some point and in 99% of the time, the progress is only positive. Best advice I can give is dont get hung up on failing some days - I failed Sunday by 3000 calories but its not the end of the world and there are plenty more days to pull it back and then some.

Stick to the basics and you'll find yourself losing it faster than you can imagine.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    so proud of you. this is such a long, hard journey! but you have a great support system on MFP!
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

"Don't beat yourself up!! Pick yourself up!!" That's what my trainer says to me all the time. I had to sacrifice a lot to join a really great gym & buy some personal trainer lessons but it was my reward to myself when I hit 40lbs lost. Not only does he make me work hard, he's super motivating. He's always spouting great motivational blurbs like, "you didn't put it on in a day & you're not going to take it off in a day!" and "the only way you can fail is by not trying at all!" I will secretly admit that sometimes when I'm sweating like a pig on the battle ropes I fantisize about punching him in his super motivational face, but to be honest I'd pay double what I do now to work out with him, he's one of my biggest cheerleaders & having him believe in me makes me want to try harder.

So Moon, I believe you can do this. I believe in you. Believe in yourself too!!
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    this is a long journey, not a marathon. I have been on MFP for almost 2 years and my weight is still up and down. Some days I have no motivation to do anything and some days I have lots. This is definitely one day at a time.
    I started on here needing to lose 60 lbs now it is more like 80.
    Anyone can add me, I seem to be able to give the right comments or push to everyone but myself
  • rhonda6374
    rhonda6374 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would love to have you as a friend! I am 231 and have been off and on. I was down to 203 last year so I know I can do it if I will just be consistent and keep going. You can too! Send me a friend request if you like.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Action conquers fear, every time.

Just get a grip on this, and once you are doing it, your fear will subside. Good luck. Log everything and weigh everything. Never give up. Focus on yourself for now, and you'll get this done.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Moonjewel, I started this at 386. So far I've lost 164 pounds and still working to get below 200. Don't look at the total you need to lose. Break it down into smaller goals. When I thought about needing to lose 220 pounds, well it was a mountain I couldn't see over. But when I thought about getting below 300, well that looked doable. I also reward myself when I hit one of those little goals. So when I weighed in at 298, I bought a pilates machine. It has a 300 pound limit so I couldn't get it before. Next goal was 275, and you get the idea. You can do this, just know that it is going to take time, possibly years, so be patient and know this is a lifetime, lifestyle change. If you don't make that permenant change, the weight will come back on. Good luck!
  • oracle_of_flame
    oracle_of_flame Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Moonjewel, is it possible that MyFitnessPal has you eating too few calories? (This might sound weird since everyone knows fewer calories = less weight over time.)

Occasionally, if you have a large amount to lose and you have the final number listed as your goal, the website can actually recommend eating fewer calories than your body needs to function. There are a few calculators on the internet that will let you calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is an estimate of the amount of energy your body needs to function...when you're laying down sleeping.

If you're eating less than or even at your BMR (and are not comatose) you're basically starving your body and it's easy to backslide. Recalculate it periodically as you lose weight, because the amount of energy (calories) you need to function will change as you get older and lose weight. :)

[MFP had estimated 1200 Calories for me when I joined, but my current BMR is between 1700<1800, meaning I was threatening my energy levels, memory and putting undue strain on my body. Food cravings were high and my mood was really down because I was torturing myself. Weight was coming off quickly, but then I would seesaw with a binge to recover energy. Just not healthy in the long run!]