Losing weight but body fat percentage is going up?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorraineZinn
    LorraineZinn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem as the OP. I started about 15 months ago with calorie restriction and elliptical workouts, and managed to burn through a fair amount of muscle that way. After I snapped to it, I started bodyweight cardio plus strength training and saw my BF% drop (based on measurement on an Aria scale). Any time my protein intake drops too low (always a struggle for me), I see my BF% start to increase again. Now, though, my BF% is on the rise again even though I'm doing everything "right". I don't think it's simply scale inaccuracy, since even though I've been losing weight I feel fatter.

Based on the advice above, I guess I'll 1) be sure and hit my protein macro each day and 2) hydrate. But I gotta say, this is getting discouraging. My BF% has increased about 1% in the last month.
  • itsmeGennie
    itsmeGennie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My BF% has increased 1% in the last week! I'm atrophying! @LorraineZinn

RE inaccuracies - though the scales are telling you the incorrect BF%, shouldn't the trend observed be correct? If you use the same scale all the time, you should be comparing apples to apples.
  • LorraineZinn
    LorraineZinn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hydrate! Since I posted that, I have made an effort to drink 2L of water every day, and my BF% has dropped almost a percentage point (and I feel better, too). Don't trust the scale measurement unless you know you are properly hydrated.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

RE inaccuracies - though the scales are telling you the incorrect BF%, shouldn't the trend observed be correct? If you use the same scale all the time, you should be comparing apples to apples.

No.

The technology these scales use, BIA, is affected by far too many variables for that.

As above, foot moisture, dirty feet, clean feet, temperatures and humidy all effect how the scales read.

You may be able to control the position of the scales and the time of day you take the readings but you can't control the level of moisture on the soles of your feet.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,263 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

No.

The technology these scales use, BIA, is affected by far too many variables for that.

As above, foot moisture, dirty feet, clean feet, temperatures and humidy all effect how the scales read.

You may be able to control the position of the scales and the time of day you take the readings but you can't control the level of moisture on the soles of your feet.

Exactly. The BF% is not accurate even to itself.