Average weight loss on KETO??

Options

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    water

I think the issue is that most people's thirst cues are as screwed up as their hunger cues. So it can be beneficial to bang the drum of "hydrate!" because for most people, they can stand to improve in that area.

I actually think that the problem is most people blindly believe anything if it's been repeated enough times. We must drink massive amounts of water even if we work in an office and are not thirsty. High carbohydrate low fat diet is best. Vaping is worse for you than smoking. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. The earth is flat.

I'm not denying we should drink water. I do get uncomfortable when people bang on about how they drink massive amounts of water though, like it makes them a saint. Because, like I said, water toxicity is a thing. And drinking more water than you need is very bad for you. There's plenty of legitimate medical sources out there that explain why.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I actually think that the problem is most people blindly believe anything if it's been repeated enough times. We must drink massive amounts of water even if we work in an office and are not thirsty. High carbohydrate low fat diet is best. Vaping is worse for you than smoking. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. The earth is flat.

I'm not denying we should drink water. I do get uncomfortable when people bang on about how they drink massive amounts of water though, like it makes them a saint. Because, like I said, water toxicity is a thing. And drinking more water than you need is very bad for you. There's plenty of legitimate medical sources out there that explain why.

I agree 100%, cookie cutter recommendations somehow always end up gospel. The only rule of thumb that works is drink until you pee is clear.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LC/keto for a month. The first two weeks I think I lost around 15 lbs, then I plateaued for a week then this past week hit another new low and have continued to go down. Total weight loss for the month is 18 lbs. I look at plateaus as a time when my body is adjusting to the new weight and I don't let it worry me. I have no idea if that's what's really going on during a stall in weight loss but it's what I tell myself and it makes me feel better. :wink: I also use intermittent fasting regularly, which I think helps to keep the insulin down and the weight loss steady. My goal is to lose 1 lb per week on average. I'm very patient about my weight loss now. At my age I've learned that there is no point in fretting over a slow weight loss. A pound lost in two weeks is better than a pound gained in two weeks or no loss at all. I use the Happy Scale app and I love it. It shows your weight loss trend over time instead of the actual weight roller coaster and it really helps me to keep my weight losses and gains in perspective.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Today I have reached my goal of losing 85 lbs. it took me 11 months, however I was losing 10 lbs a month for the first seven months; I took it a little slower after that.

Fantastic work.

• CathyYes
    CathyYes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Seems like the "rough average" is about 10 pounds a month.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I stalled out after about 3 months, and even with keto, and calorie counting, I regained. So at this point, my net loss is technically negative. I have a lot of contributing factors, including hypothyroidism and PCOS with insulin resistance, so I'm struggling to find my balance, but I just wanted to make sure people know that it isn't a perfect program, you aren't failing if you aren't losing massively like others (generally means you need to evaluate and adjust things), and that it doesn't work for everyone. It is still a weight loss/health gain tool, it still requires hard work, and it still requires patience... Keep trying, keep tweaking, and keep the patience! 6-12 weeks with any changes to see total results...

As friends are fond of saying, "Keep Calm, Keto On..."
  • valya42
    valya42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jelaine98 wrote: »
    Twibbly wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating? What's your deficit? Are you drinking enough water?

1503 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (5%, 80 kcal)
    103 g Protein (27%, 412 kcal)
    112 g Fat (68%, 1011 kcal)

You're eating too much protein. That's why your weight loss is slow. Your protein shouldn't almost match your fat grams.

I have the same problem. how to go down on protein?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @valya42

Protein should be based on either lean body mass or total body mass, and modified depending on activity. It should be a range. Have you set yours up this way? If not, I recommend doing that.

If you have the range and are asking for actual techniques to get less protein, more fat - go for fattier cuts of meat, add coconut oil/butter/ghee to everything, make sauces for most things, etc.

But, the simple fact is that if you have a lot of weight to lose, your body will supply the missing fat from your diet with body fat sources... So, you don't HAVE to add more fats if you're not hungry.

Carbs are a limit. Protein is a range based on body weight and activity levels. Fats fill in the gaps to satiety.

Since protein is based on your body composition and such, it should be fairly static of a number, unless you're doing major body recomposition. Therefore, the fat should really be the only floating factor.

Does that make sense?

(There are some great discussions on this topic, complete with graphics, already going on in the LCD group we've been referencing, so if you need a link, let me know. Not point reinventing the wheel! @Sunny_Bunny @RalfLott @cstehansen - anything to add?)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    LCHF experts seem to have some differences in how much protein is optimal. On the low extreme is 0.8 g per kg of lean body mass. On the high end seems to be 1-1.5 g per lb of body weight.

I think what Stephen Phinney recommends of 1.5-2.0 g per kg of your ideal body weight.

The more active you are the more you need. The more insulin resistant you are the more prone you are to have protein converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

Probably best to evaluate why you chose this WOE and use that and your own n=1 experiments to find your sweet spot. I'm still trying to find mine, but it seems to be much higher than I expected. Currently eating a bit over Phinney's range and my BG readings for the last month are all trending down - FBG and PP. I am much more active than average and in weight maintenance.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Great progress @cstehansen.

I agree it's important to keep your protein up - 5 lbs/month lost of fat only is much better than 10 lbs, where 5 lbs are from muscle tissue.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15kg, going from just under 70 kg to 55 kg. I now fluctuate between 55 kg and 57 kg. With a heavy training load I need to make sure I don't dip beneath 55kg. I find that this really demands attention.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Those who have been able to loose a large amount of weight on keto (50lbs plus), what are your macros like? how many carbs a day vs how much fat, and where does your fat mainly come from?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    keto is simple: stay under 20g carbs and you're pretty well guaranteed to get into ketosis. protein is usually as per lean body weight, and is moderate, fat is to satiety. That's it. No magic macro ratios.
  • dwest99
    dwest99 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The first time I went on Keto I went from about ~160 to 130lbs in less than 2 months. The first couple weeks I was losing a pound, half a pound a day on average. Right now I'm losing about 3 - 4 pounds a week.

I really hate hearing the "everyone is different" excuse. This is usually brought up when discussing calorie deficits. It should be common sense that you don't know how many calories you're actually burning per day. People approach this completely backwards. They try to calculate how many calories they burn, calculate how many calories to eat, then scratch their heads and wonder why they don't lose weight.

BMR's and even something straightforward like "calories burned per hour walking" are rough estimates at best. You could easily miss two, three hundred calories per day and not realize it. So, when you only lost half a pound a week instead of a full pound, you know you weren't actually running a 500 calorie per day deficit. Don't forget the more weight you lose, the lower your BMR is going to be. In other words, your calorie deficit essentially shrinks every day so long as you maintain your calorie intake.

I personally think a 500 calorie deficit is just as hard as a 1,000 calorie deficit, so I eat as little as possible. It's all the same to me. Not only that, I care more about the foods I can't eat than the ones I can. It doesn't satisfy me to just eat more fatty foods to try and curb hunger. Right now I mainly eat chicken breasts, fish, sausages, eggs and some cheese (jalapeno cheese bites are pretty good as a small snack). I also love seafood, so I eat snow crab maybe once every 2 weeks as well. I don't see it as a luxury/expense as I'm spending probably 60% less on food anyway.

Lastly, the only legitimate sugar substitute on Keto is Erythritol. The "zero calorie sweeteners" like Xylitol, Sucralose, etc are not actually zero calories. The FDA lets companies say "Zero" despite being closer to simply half the calories of real sugar. So, if you're pigging out on Atkins candies thinking the nutritional label is accurate, think again. It's literally like breaking a snickers bar in half and saying "Now there's zero sugar in it!".
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand how to get in all my cals and not have high protein. Most of the "fat" I eat is still protein
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you're getting proper fattier cuts of meat like ribeye steaks, 75% ground beef, pork shoulder roast, chicken thighs with skin on, most of those are 75% fat, 25% protein. Your diary is not open, @mjj79, so it's difficult to make better suggestions.

Add a pat of butter, tablespoon of mayo, or oz of cheese to your foods... ?
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    If you're getting proper fattier cuts of meat like ribeye steaks, 75% ground beef, pork shoulder roast, chicken thighs with skin on, most of those are 75% fat, 25% protein. Your diary is not open, @mjj79, so it's difficult to make better suggestions.

Add a pat of butter, tablespoon of mayo, or oz of cheese to your foods... ?

Unless weight loss isn't an issue, I'd wonder what the concern is about hitting a calorie target. ??

If protein levels are satisfied, I'd be tempted to say just enjoy your lack of appetite while it lasts and don't feel compelled to read "enough" fat or calories....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @RalfLott, if I'm not mistaken, she's a breastfeeding mama, so she must keep cals up to a certain level to maintain her milk supply.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott, if I'm not mistaken, she's a breastfeeding mama, so she must keep cals up to a certain level to maintain her milk supply.

Gotcha. My bad!